• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

in-ground question on in ground garden area

ok, so at the new house i went to shovel the dirt and about 6" down hit rock hard clay. since i have never dealt with in ground growing i dont know where to start with this! please help!

Personally I would add 4 inches on top, but if not an option you have a good bit of digging to do. Sounds like a 1-2 tray of brownies project. :D

At 6 inches, you should have plenty of topsoil to work with. I personally wouldnt be bothered by it. If it isnt too large of an area, which may make this cost prohibitive, i would look at adding well aged compost to the spot or other ammendments to build up the soil level.

Sorry Eric no clay just sand here! I think if you keep adding good nutes and teas that should be enough to keep them happy!

the area is 10'X15'(estimate) i have 5cuft of amendment/compost stuff to add to it but i just dont have the cash to build it up much more. the only other thing would be to buy some 2X6 and line the area and head east to see if there is a place to buy compost and mix it all together. and i really dont want to rent a rototiller as that clay will be a bitch to break up! ARGGGGGGG!

Get a good soil and 6" should be good enough

No way in hell id break my back to dig clay up for some peppers!

well, i might just be digging out all the dirt this weekend and see what it looks like under and maybe rent a tiller and see about busting it up a little, but we will see, i might just be lazy and mix a few bags in with the dirt and say screw it and see how things go, that way i know what to do if things go bad! LOL of just grow in containers! LOL

the boxes would be good, buuuuuuut i dont have the tools to build them. i wonder if i couls get home depot to cut the boards for me

I'd recommend growing your peppers in pots this year and start working on that garden.
Double dig small portions of your garden a little at a time. I'd add whatever you can get, compost, lime, sand, manure, ....anything to break that clay up
and add tilth.

It's a labor of love, and a good garden isn't made overnight.

home depot will cut for a price.
id go with the above ground. my area is about the same with the clay under a touch of soil.
dig it out and you will just be making a big mud bowl when you get a good rain.
clay dont drain very well..

i really dont think it would be a problem

the roots will go down as far as they can go then spread outward, also once the roots reach the the clay border they will catch the a good amount of water and desolved neutrient before they leach into the clay
just keep amending your exsiting top soil with lots of organic, that will ensure your plants are getting what the need, it will also encourage your worms to do there job
also at the end of this season chop up your unwanted pepper plants and till them in too

i do so does my friend works great!
adding soil would not hurt however it could get expensive

hope this helps

thanks your friend joe

I've always gotten wood cut at Lowes, and have never been charged - they say they do it for free when you buy the wood.

At least you have 6 inches of dirt on top of your clay. I just have straight clay.

You could buy two 10' 2 x 6, and two 16' 2 x 6. No cutting required. See about getting a load of compost or black dirt delivered. It should be far cheaper than buying bagged.

EDIT: I see circular saws at garage sales all the time for $5-$10 as well. Or try craigslist.

Haha yeah clay sucks thats all I have up here in the northern cal. I had to use a pickaxe to dig about 18 inches deep then finally put good soil. Clay sucks so much Do work! :party:

Sorry Eric no clay just sand here! I think if you keep adding good nutes and teas that should be enough to keep them happy!

I have had spectacular results growing in sand. I till in cow compost every spring and they seem to love it. If I had to bring in anything it would be sand and cow compost.

Lol Brochacho you want to barrow my Chop saw? it will cut 2x6 effortlessly in a second!

It is literally 3 blocks away from you! To be honest I never use it anymore so if you break it I wouldn't be mad. I have mad tools, just get us some Beer, use a friends truck, go to the convoy dump and buy some compost. I think I have a crap load of wood screws in the shed you can just have!

http://www.sandiego....y/compost.shtml
At the Miramar Greenery, compost is made from yard trimmings and food scraps that have been ground, placed in windrows, turned and watered for 70 days. During this time, microorganisms digest the carbon and nitrogen rich mixture, causing the windrow to sustain temperatures of 140-165 F. This process eliminates most weed seeds and pathogens while breaking down the organic material into beneficial soil nutrients. Finished compost is screened to a particle size of one-half inch or less which also removes film plastic from the final product.

Duh-Winning.jpg

Well it's not like spongey is near an ocean with sand or anything so he may have an issue. :rofl: Best of luck. I only have 6 inches at the most above the native farm fiel and fill dirt from when the house was built in the 50's. The gardens were all built with leaf compost from the township. They suck up and chop all the leaves we put by the road in the fall. Then in the spring we can get 3 ton for $30 or 8 ton for $50....delivered to the driveway. Not sure how many leaves y'all have out that way, but if a good many then your local may do the same. Guessing that if you bust up that clay, adding a few buckets of sand may help with drainage and future workability.

Beat of luck and congrats on the new place!

Back