• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Question on Test Strips

I read over and over about PH test strips and have a few questions.

1. What kinda test strip?  I just googled and most were for urine and saliva (can get these at WalMart).  Are these them?  Or are the ones we are talking about to test sauce different and if so....where can I find them?

2. At what stage do we test PH?  The brining/fermenting stage...or after we've made the sauce.....?

Thanks, K

You want strips the will go down to at least Ph 3.0. What they're intended for so really don't think matters, when Inused strips I had some made for checking pool water.

I usually spoon a little into a test bowl after the first summer and blender, right before so put it back on to simmer again.

pH test strips for use with food products is not a recognized way to accurately measure pH in the food service industry.  There are pH test strips that will register in the desired range for processed food products (3-4.0 pH) and some people use pH test strips as a general range guide.  Test strips don't work for an accurate pH reading, but will give a general pH for hobby saucers.  It's definitely not the best method of measuring pH, but it's "better than  nothing"!

pH meters and the accompanying buffering solutions are not that expensive.   You can get a whole set up for <$50.  But knowing budgets are tight, if you can find some pH test strips that will register in the 3-6pH range, it's better than nothing.  Hope this helps~

" You can get a whole set up for <$50."

What would you recommend - brand, place to purchase? And do you know exact pH for selling stuff like jams or applesauce or pickles made with cucumbers and hot peppers? Or just pickled peppers?

Thanks!

Couple more observations...

Test strips, like meters, come in various qualities.  Meters must be stored properly (with a protective solution) and calibrated for accuracy.  

Since everything over pH 7 is unnecessary (cuz it's an alkaline), I purchased these (0-6 pH).
https://www.microessentiallab.com/Category/76_1/pH.20_Strips.aspx

Each increment (0.5 pH) is a distinctly different color too, so you aren't guessing where it lands.  They work well for the resolution provided, i.e. 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 etc.  If using strips, buy good ones in as tight a range as possible.  This brand is available on eBay and Amazon.

I bought my test strips at a local home brew and wine making store. The test strips that I bought were for wine makers with a test range from 4.4 to 2.8. 

I have had fish tanks all my life and I have used PH test strips to check my water.... very inaccurate

That seems like a good range. Curious, when you say they are inaccurate, was that a side by side test with a lab grade, calibrated meter? I've heard lots of anecdotal evidence for and against strips but never a side by side test. I've also read plenty accounts of inaccuracy with the cheapie meters but never a side by side with a lab grade meter. Hard to know what opinions are fact.

you're only as good as your worst piece of equipment. 
I picked up these wine test strips for 6 bucks. I have done side by side test with my aquarium water and the test strips give slightly different readings when testing the same water sample, my liquid testers "seem" more consistent. The test strip readings can be effected by many factors..... like if you accidentally touch the strip...no good   If you wait too long before taking your reading... no good, the list goes on and on.  I use the strips for quick "ball park" checks.
I plan on getting a meter for the most accurate PH readings..... providing I have it calibrated correctly.

Ok, well in the back of my mind I was wondering if this would work and here's why....my sauce is red so why wouldn't it color the test strip red?  The readings are green to grey....so....what is the PH of this sauce?

15986745472_c3f8322882_b.jpg

15367790993_674b67a85d_b.jpg

haha....am I missing something here?

ha!!  now that's a problem.  If I had to guess, I'd say that its at the lower end of the scale. Using test strips, I doubt you can get anything better than a ball park reading.

Back