• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Question ? Plant protection oh Red savina and dorset Naga

Thanks everyone for getting involved in answering my question. It seems alot of us have learnt a thing or two in regard to this issue. thanks very much for the input. Happy growing.

Dave

POTAWIE said:
Chimayos are old too (400+year in Chimayo area)but they are trying to protect it to keep it genuine and to keep it within the chimayo region of Mexico where it was a commercial crop and where it is said to grow best but now is nearly extinct.

Edit. I believe now that they are trying to trademark the name "Chimayo" and not trying to get PVP status.

I think Chimayo is in NM north of Santa Fe. It's a small village and the chiles are considered holy as is the local church, the Santuario. Only Chimayos coming from that village may be called genuine.

They are trying to keep the tradition alive, but thje importance of the pods is not the same anymore as it was until - I believe - the late 19th century when they even served as a medium of exchange/money.

They were harvesting about 500 times as much back then as they are today.

Chiliac said:
I think Chimayo is in NM north of Santa Fe. It's a small village and the chiles are considered holy as is the local church, the Santuario. Only Chimayos coming from that village may be called genuine.

They are trying to keep the tradition alive, but thje importance of the pods is not the same anymore as it was until - I believe - the late 19th century when they even served as a medium of exchange/money.

They were harvesting about 500 times as much back then as they are today.

I just visited Chimayo in NM about a month ago. It was a very interesting trip. If you happen to visit the church referenced above I recommend trying some of their Holy Dirt. It feels quite nice on the Skin.

Back