• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Question to Hot Sauce collectors

MSK said:
Living in South Mississippi presented quiet a scare during Hurricane Katrina. I live approximatly two blocks from the Gulf of Mexico. There wasn't enough time during evacuation to pack up the collection. While I felt reasonably sure my home was safe from major damage, I would have preferred to bring them with me, but winds were already at a dangerous level. It would have taken way too much time.

After the storm we were able to reach my daughter's house the next morning. Our first impression from the street was very encourging. We couldn't see any damage what-so-ever. But opening the door proved to be gut wrenching as we realized they had received about 4' water. Everything was ruined. At least they were safe and the house was rebuildable. With the help of many friends they were able to move back in about two weeks ago.

Returning to our house was heartbreaking. It took two days for the water to recede enough. We had to park a full block north of the house and walk over debris to reach it. Because we had to climb over parts of houses, furniture, appliances, etc., we just knew we no longer had a home or it had at least been flooded. Imagine our surpise to see the house damaged but still standing. Though after seeing my daughter's house we held little hope for the inside. Again...much to our surprise we received absolutely no water! After further investigation we could see just how close we came. The water came within 10' of the house and stopped. Some of our neighbors to the south weren't as lucky. Many homes are reduced to slabs or completely gutted. Most sad of all...just in our little neiborhood, 6 lives were lost!

Back to the original topic and on a brighter note...I have since realized that my collection is far too valuable to take so lightly. I have literally thousands of dollars invested. I 've since attached a rider to my homes owners policy that will, at the very least, offer a return in the event of unforseen circumstances.

Man, that's quite a story bro. Glad you were ok though.

Glad your house was OK. But, were you able to get any of Defcon's final batch of #1, 8oz. I sure did and since he signed them "Creator", and they're 'one of a kind', I might not be able to open them. Bummer. That sauce is a nectar to me. Maybe I should sell them on E-bay? :) Frank

tinner666 said:
Glad your house was OK. But, were you able to get any of Defcon's final batch of #1, 8oz. I sure did and since he signed them "Creator", and they're 'one of a kind', I might not be able to open them. Bummer. That sauce is a nectar to me. Maybe I should sell them on E-bay? :) Frank

Well, you did get my last batch of 8 ouncers. You can put them on Ebay, but beware, Ryan might see the auction and start a thread about you being another uber-evil capitalist (see HSB for the numerous vitriol-filled references).

MSK, I am proud to be part of your collection. Upon receipt of your first e-mail, I wasn't aware of the vastness of your collection, perhaps you could send me a pic? Anyway, your stuff will be en route in a day or two. Thanks again.

That could make them really rare, Creator. Though I will probably keep pouring 1 on my food.
As most collectors know, a 'special' run of 99 of anything is always a run of 99. :)
Now, if some of those 99 are used, it becomes a lot less, and worth more. Real rarity can occur when something is NOT special at it's creation. Look at M. Mantle cards. I and a lot of other kids spoked them to death and created rarity.
:lol:

tinner666 said:
That could make them really rare, Creator. Though I will probably keep pouring 1 on my food.
As most collectors know, a 'special' run of 99 of anything is always a run of 99. :)
Now, if some of those 99 are used, it becomes a lot less, and worth more. Real rarity can occur when something is NOT special at it's creation. Look at M. Mantle cards. I and a lot of other kids spoked them to death and created rarity.
:lol:

The way we did the numbering was kind of interesting. I own the first bottle, #101. The first digit is the batch number, and the other 2 are the bottle numbers from that batch. We only made about 23 bottles of the stuff (#123), so yeah, it might become a collectors item. We're working on the 2nd batch, but since it takes a couple months, they won't be available for a while. Those bottles will begin #201.

Can't find a batch #. But I have 2 of 22. (I finished my first bottle)and 2 more on the way. Could be a real cult item if I can stay out of the bottle. :)

MSK

Haggis is a true character for sure.
Send along your address or give us a call 888-528-KATO and we'll get your collection up to date.
Happy Holidays

Mick
Kato's

As a matter of fact Mick, I was going to call this afternoon but my train jumped track. I'll give it another shot tomorrow. What time is best for you?

tinner666 said:
Can't find a batch #. But I have 2 of 22. (I finished my first bottle)and 2 more on the way. Could be a real cult item if I can stay out of the bottle. :)

The little blue bottle (if my memory isn't failing again) you got was the prototype, and only about 8 of them were made. I sent them out to a select few people on this board, as well as a few local friends. The new ZERO's come in a completely different bottle, a really cool colored wax seal, signed "DC" and numbered on the bottom. Hell, maybe the one you got is even more collectible. :shock:

DEFCON Creator][quote=tinner666 said:
Can't find a batch #. But I have 2 of 22. (I finished my first bottle)and 2 more on the way. Could be a real cult item if I can stay out of the bottle. :lol:

The little blue bottle (if my memory isn't failing again) you got was the prototype, and only about 8 of them were made. I sent them out to a select few people on this board, as well as a few local friends. The new ZERO's come in a completely different bottle, a really cool colored wax seal, signed "DC" and numbered on the bottom. Hell, maybe the one you got is even more collectible. :shock:[/quote]

I never thought about that.... :)

I assumed you sent it to me to try / review. It's almost gone, so those that remain are even more rare!!!

I enjoyed the bottle, though, and am down to a few precious drops. Thanks for the bottle.

Perhaps I'd better shelve the next bottle of zero I get... :)

The only problem with the little blue ones is they weren't wax sealed like the current ones, so it's impossible to tell if it has been opened or not. I wasn't expecting such a cultish hit to happen. It's a good problem. Just wait until the next batch (the #2xx series), it's gonna be seriously jazzed up. Definite eye-catcher on anyone's "Shelf of Doom". :)

DEFCON Creator said:
The only problem with the little blue ones is they weren't wax sealed like the current ones, so it's impossible to tell if it has been opened or not. I wasn't expecting such a cultish hit to happen. It's a good problem. Just wait until the next batch (the #2xx series), it's gonna be seriously jazzed up. Definite eye-catcher on anyone's "Shelf of Doom". :twisted:

LOL!!!

I do have one corner of my collection where all of my sauces reside that I actually had to sign a release for....

Shelf of Doom...I like that.

tinner666 said:
I got the un-numbered blue 1 of 8. I think I'll wax seal it instead of using it. :twisted:

Great idea, tinner. Unfortunately, I think people might notice that my bottle has a conspicuously low level of extract remaining in it... :o

Ah...but the memories....

BTW, Creator, I was perusing your site on Friday, and was pleased to see my review posted among your testimonials. I was visiting your site with the intent to purchase come sauce. I seem to be having a hard time understanding the ordering process. If you would be so kind as to email me and let me know how I can order online I would appreciate it. You can also email me a list, if you prefer, including shipping/tax per bottle, and I can mail you a check.

Let me know!

Josh

chuk hell][quote=staffing said:
I was visiting your site with the intent to purchase come sauce......

Dude, I think you can make that yourself. 😉[/quote]

LOL!!!!

Talk about a typo!!!!

I'll have to be more careful in the future. :twisted:

Josh

Back