• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Questions about my Habaneros

Hello all, my first post here... Anyway, I am a bit new to growing Chili Peppers, and I have about 12 plants/pots currently, two of them are Orange Habaneros the rest are Caribbean Red Habaneros.

I Germinated them in a homemade incubator which was at about 95'F for 14 hours a day between moist napkins, needless to say after a few weeks they exploded with growth in the incubator. Which I then put into small white yogurt containers (easy to get them out of), and when they were about 3 - 4 inches tall I put them in larger blue transparent plastic cups (again easy to get them out)...

I would put in larger containers when the roots would fill the cups/container and form a solid mass.

They seemed to do quite well in the yogurt containers inside a home-made light box consisting of 4 - 26 Watt CFLs (100 Watt Eq.) on a 14 and 1/2 hour timer. (Early on I would only have two of the CFLs on at a time).

The only problem I had was some of the leaves would curl up around the edges. I started spraying them with distiled water mist to keep the humidity up, since it's still pretty dry up here in Upstate New York as of May - April.

Why do they curl up like this? Also sometimes later in the day the leaves would droop down, as if avoiding the light? (Not soft like when they need water, nice and crisp but bending downward) they would come right back up the next moring maybe even better looking than before... Why do they do this?

Now I have recently transplanted them into larger plastic pots, filled with general purpos potting soil (dark, has sand in it and other organic matter). I am growing these guys indoors in pots, under an array of 26 Watt (100 Watt Eq.) CFLs on a 14 and 1/2 hour timer hung above them (about 6 inches above them) with reflectors. I also have a window fan in this particular room to give them some ventilation (this is connected to the timer as well).

And an Interesting thing is happening, as of today they are all about 9 to 11 inches high and despite the fact that they are all the same species, all my plants seem to be very different from one another.

While some have greenish stems with light green leaves, others have dark purple stems with dark green leaves.

Some of my Reds have very light greenish leaves (almost transparent) like below with light green stems. Otherwise healthy looking plants.
Greenish_Plants.jpg
Greenish_Stem.jpg

While these Oranges have darker green or yellow green and or oval leaves with very dark purple stems like below. Also healthy looking.
Purple_Stems.jpg
Healthy_Orange.jpg

Another problem of late is, in my Caribbean Reds the top newest leaves are coming out yellow or light green and lumpy
Yellowing_Growth.jpg

I'm not sure why this is happening but it's become a worry for me. Any ideas?

Some of the Caribbean Reds have the light green leaves with light green stems others dark purple stems and dark green leaves.

Why do some of them have Dark Purple Stems? I have seen pictures of Habaneros all over the net, and none of them have purple stems/purple streaks.

Also I have two Orange Habaneros as I said above, both were doing about the same in the yogurt containers, however since then they have taken different paths...

One of them has pale yellow green leaves with a more elongated shape, and when it started producing flowers they dropped pretty much right away...
Sickly_Orange.jpg

The other has the darkest healthiest green leaves of all my plants and has a ton of healthy white flowers.
Healthy_Orange.jpg

They both have purple stems, but thats the only thing they have in common. I am assuming the other one is just sick? What can I do to bring it back?

And this isnt exactly a problem but most of my stems appear like this, pretty thick at the bottom and very thick in the middle.
Thick_Stem.jpg

Sorry about the low quality pictures, my digital camera is not with me at the moment and I used my camera phone.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions? Questions? thanks :)

I have 1 Peach Hab from last year that looks the same as yours: curled leaves with pale green & yellow spots.
As long as it continues it growth-rate, keeping up with the other peppers, I'm not too worried about it.

It sure looks like a nutrient deficiency to me. I think you should try foliar feeding them with a water soluable plant food that has micronutrients. You should see an improvement in 36-48 hours.

Just try it on a couple of plants first, and if they have a favorable reaction you can do the rest of them.

Alan

If the new leaves are pale, it's probably one of the micronutrients. Either the epsom salt that drHavanger mentioned or the complete water soluble fertilizer Mister Al suggested would work well.

Alright, thanks for all the suggestions, I just did the Epsom salt on the leaves and a little in the soil.

Looking a bit more on Google about Magnesium Deficiency and what I am reading looks very much like what I have over here.

I'll report any changes here, hopefully positive :)

Mine did the same thing richard and I gave them alittle fish emulsion and they seem to come out of it and still growing Hnag in there they will be okay

You can also use some dolomitic lime in your soil. This has magnesium and calcium and also acts as a Ph buffer.

Hello everyone, it's been quite a while since I used the Epsom salt, and the results are good!

I dont have any pictures right now (Now I do), but the leaves that were yellowing either got more yellow and fell off or completly recovered.

overview.jpg

All the new leaves are dark green and shiny, which I assume is a good thing.

Pic0100.jpg

In addition to the Epsom salt I gave them a little warm milk (for calcium) and some Nitrogen since it appeared as if they had a Nitro Deficiency as well.

The sick plant's lower leaves are medium dark green now with new growth even darker, and seems to not be stunted anymore.

Pic0092.jpg

My only problem now is the flowers on the plants with them keep dropping off... They seem to bloom and are fine for a few days then stop opening up all the way and then the stems dry up or shrivel where the stem meets the plant, turning either purple near the end or yellow throughout and the flower + stem fall completly off.

I have pollinated them by hand. My daytime temps are about 88F nighttime temps about 78F and morning temps no lower than 74F.

They have enough water, not too much and not too little.

Also, they get about 15 Hours of light a day on a timer.

I am not sure if it's too much Nitrogen, all I feed them with is 6-10-10.

Any ideas? Thanks :D

I reckon your getting flower drop because of poor lighting. When I grow inside under 400watt HID lights, I experience flower drop. Outside under the sun, no flower drop.

stillmanz said:
is the warm milk thing for real? Thats genius.

Indeed, some people even sprinkle powedered milk under the plant. I hear it's a quick source of calcium and the soil microbes should benifit from it as well.

thechileman.org says Milk is 0.5/0.3/0.18

I put old milk that goes bad into my compost.

Back