• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Questions about recycling soil

I've read on here a couple of times about using a fresh soil/potting mix each growing season.

Can anyone give me some reasons why I shouldn't re use my soil from the last season?

Can I mix my old soil with some compost or other fresh amendments to make it useful?

If you use chemical fertilizers or you mix it with enough compost/manure etc. I don't see why you couldn't use it again.

millworkman said:
I'm on year 5 with mine. Granted, each year I add back to it. Reuse it over and again. It only gets better with time.

What would you recommend to  add to it?  Is compost/manure good enough?  Also can you top-dress in the existing pots or do you empty them all and mix into a big pile?

I believe that the reason for using fresh soil each year is to avoid disease organisms that may be in the old soil. However, I routinely use my old soil without noticing disease problems. I think the texture changes because some components break down, and I'd recommend adding perlite to old soil to prevent it getting too heavy.

I haven't yet because I keep getting pests, although the soil I bought this year had thrips in it so I might reuse next year anyway!!! 

I think you have to rotate it eventually with another crop, otherwise why would they do that in agriculture? 

I reuse because soil is expensive. And i don't have the space for composting. One thing I like to do is after I cut the plant back for the year (potted plants I do not plan on overwintering), I leave the root ball in the pot and let the plant die off in the cold. When the temps start to warm back up and it's time for planting out again, I pull the root ball out. It's usually mostly composted into the old soil by that time. Most of the pots have had nice, rich soil at the bottom and have been full of big, juicy worms. Shake off the excess soil and toss the old roots into a compost pile, and you're good to go.

Thanks for the replies.
I live in an apartment and don't like the idea of disposing of all my pots full of soil via the elevator.
Guess I'll add some composty matter and reuse it until I have a reason not to

I place mine in large containers and then cover them with lids/plastic and let them sterilize in the sun over the summer. Then when I need to use some, I mix it with manure compost and other amendments and reuse. My problem is I'm getting more soil over the seasons... I'll have to dump some into my yard just to make room.

Angie

For every gallon of compost/sphagnum moss you add, balance with at least a quart,or slightly more, of  perlite.

If you're doing organic....
And if you have a month, two is better, before using it, add about 2 cups of an organic balanced amendment like Plant Tone or something of similar NPK ratings for every 7.5 gallons of total mix. And up to a cup of gypsum too. Wetting it and giving it an occasional stir over the month will help the microbes get a headstart on making the new nutrients available to the plants on day one. Don't keep it totally airtight, or it will go anaerobic.

JJJessee said:
For every gallon of compost/sphagnum moss you add, balance with at least a quart,or slightly more, of  perlite.

If you're doing organic....
And if you have a month, two is better, before using it, add about 2 cups of an organic balanced amendment like Plant Tone or something of similar NPK ratings for every 7.5 gallons of total mix. And up to a cup of gypsum too. Wetting it and giving it an occasional stir over the month will help the microbes get a headstart on making the new nutrients available to the plants on day one. Don't keep it totally airtight, or it will go anaerobic.

Carl, this year is my first time planting in containers, do you have a recommendation on how many gallons of old soil you would mix with every new gallon of compost and the quart of perlite?

tctenten said:
Carl, this year is my first time planting in containers, do you have a recommendation on how many gallons of old soil you would mix with every new gallon of compost and the quart of perlite?
 I'm partly just feeling my way through this, but I'd do no more than 3 parts old to one part new, maybe even just 2:1 if the old seemed shy on the perlite to start with.

I did a 50:50, but the old in that case was just stuff I threw together years ago. No perlite at all. 

JJJessee said:
I'm partly just feeling my way through this, but I'd do no more than 3 parts old to one part new, maybe even just 2:1 if the old seemed shy on the perlite to start with.

I did a 50:50, but the old in that case was just stuff I threw together years ago. No perlite at all.

Thank you, I am going to give this a try after this season is over.

personally i try to reuse but since im always adding moro plants  i need more soil so i   buy some new Promix style soil and some normal cheap black earth pouch   and i try to go half old soil and 1/4 promix and 1/4 black soil also i add some calcium supplement like bone meal
and tomato fertiliser to add some specific nutriments to promote fruit grow and prevent BER. 
since i have to mix everything this is the best way to put those ferts and i wont have to add those granular fert later on.

later on i go with foliar stuff and some liquid fertz if required

IMO, the best way to reuse old soil (if you have the space) is to throw it all on a pile after the season is over, mix in a little ammount of chicken manure and mature compost and let it sit during the fall and winter. In the spring, add some fresh soil an perlite. 

Some people like to "regenerate" old soli using fish emulsion and nettle fertilizer, but you have to be careful not to overkill with those.

Back