• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Quick Build Rocket Stove for roasting

Watch out with the bricks, some can't stand fast heating and can explode (not as in KABOOM! but it can cause the stove to colapse.. and red hot bricks are not a good alternative to toe nail clippers.. trust me, been there.. done that... got the tshirt to prove it)

@ Miguelovic, we build something similar as a lead stove (to cast slugs/bullets) but you could easily melt bullet lead over it (lead with a bit of tin and antimony for hardness). That stuff takes about 380 Celsius to melt properly without the antimony floating up (700 F). Later we used it for aluminium casting (2stroke tractor pistons) which needs 700 Celsius (1300 F), we then had to use antracite coal though.

It consisted of a cut open steel gas cylinder as the burn tube with those bricks build around it insulation with a bought heat proof fire ring. The gas cylinder had holes in it to feed new fuel (brown coal briquettes, peat, antracite, charcoal briquettes, beech wood etc). You didn't need a fan to blow the fire, the stove effect pulled the oxygen in causing a jet burn out of the fire ring.

It was a lot of fun until a some bricks cracked.. What do you do? Offcourse, you keep going.. it's ALMOST molten. Then a brick litterally exploded with a pop sound, the molten aluminium almost poured over my foot. Luckily just a little bit of brick.

So some wise advise;

Use proper bricks
Wrap them in chickenwire to prevent from collapsing
Make sure there is blood mixed in your alcohol and keep the ratios healthy.

I heard about the bricks cracking. Fire brick is the way but I'm thinking cheapo with whats lying around.
Don't use cement block. They hold more moisture than brick

Of course a grill will due more and take longer. I'm thinking along the lines of quickness and small amount for dinner. Not for bulk.

This set up is suppose to get going fast, use just a  little wood, burn super fast, and super hot. 

Yes, it will. The draft gets it going, start it up with some loose balls of news papers and small wood scraps.

Good one Dave, didn't even think about that. When using it for lead, zamac and aluminium so I guess the burning Zinc on the mesh wasn't the toxic part.

And Grant is right, using a liquid starter will make the stove into a low power spudgun. Just use wood whool or paper. You need to warm it up fast to get the oxygen surge going. Use some drops of paraffine if you can't get it going.

A few years ago we had a summer that was so hot I was in no mood to grill anything outdoors, so the charcoal lighter fluid, which was already left over from the previous year, went unused again. By the time I got around to using it the following spring, it had become so condensed from age and the summers heat, it ruined the taste of the BBQ.

Since then I've used a chimney-type charcoal starter. Works on the same principle as the Rocket Stove, costs nothing to light (weekly newspaper is free here), and leaves no off-flavors behind. Win Win :thumbsup:

Back