• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Quick Pico question...

Was whipping up a batch of Pico De Gallo to go with my Tex_Mex Rib Eyes last night and had a though, or mental question if you will.  How would a small Socorpion or Ghost pepper do in a batch of pico?  Too hot, even for pepperheads, OK for heat people but not the general public, or OK for the general public.

Anybody try it?...
Harold

I wouldn't waste a perfectly good t-scorp on a non chile head.

Give 'em the wimp hippy no heat version and they'll still love you long time.

Rathole the real deal sheeit for your own deviant purposes.

Thanks for the relies. I agree. Think I'll make a small batch for me an the wife. I reserve this for the one
or two serious pepper heads I know. Why cast pearls before swine.
Harold

Def save the hotts for those who appreciate it.  Most folks are mild-medium heads.   Serve the salsa to their "tastes+a skosh" of heat.  Just push it a teensy bit. 

Salsa lady you are right about folks. I made ribs a couple weeks ago when my Sister in Law was up. She said they were hot. My wife and I could barely taste any heat. I had actually toned them down.
Harold

I really like Salsa Lady's suggestion to push them a bit but don't kill 'em outright.  Also, out of curiosity, what did your approximate salsa:pepper ratio turn out to be for your superhot salsa?

I really like Salsa Lady's suggestion to push them a bit but don't kill 'em outright. Also, out of curiosity, what did your approximate salsa:pepper ratio turn out to be for your superhot salsa?

I haven't done the superhot yet. I just made normal poco de gallo. If you want I can dig up the recipe but its pretty pedestrian.

Harold

This just answered my burning question of the day! I have 50 to 75 moruga scorpions almost ready to pick and was thinking Pico de Gallo. I'm am the only one that likes HOT out of all my friends.  :confused:  I'll keep it as normal as I can possibly keep it. Maybe I'll add a couple of tiny little slivers for the party coming up. I'm lazy, so 2 separate batches is way too much work for me!

And hello to all, by the way!!  I haven't been here in a while... not even trolling. Like I said. I'm lazy!

Cheers  :cheers:

Take something that's all meltly and cheesy, or some meat that has stewed all day, maybe in a taco, whatever. A spoonful of pico wakes it up with freshness; cilantro is aromatic, onion has a fresh bite, fresh tomato, and the jalapeno has heat and you also have the fresh taste of the pepper. That's the purpose of the pico. It's like the lettuce tomato and onion on some sandwiches. If you overpower it you will defeat the purpose of pico. So add peppers until it overpowers, then back off.

You'd be better with the superhot peppers or sauce as a separate layer, as not to overpower the pico, but add depth.

I was going to say, you don't need anything hotter than jalapeno, but I guess that has been covered.  If you do go hotter, use one pepper and chop it superfine.

Yup.

Remember pico marinates in its own juices. You're turning everything super hot. No good. Like radishes on a taco, You don't want them to taste like superhots. Depth.

The Hot Pepper said:
 If you overpower it you will defeat the purpose of pico. So add peppers until it overpowers, then back off.

You'd be better with the superhot peppers or sauce as a separate layer, as not to overpower the pico, but add depth.

The Hot Pepper said:
Yup.

Remember pico marinates in its own juices. You're turning everything super hot. No good. Like radishes on a taco, You don't want them to taste like superhots. Depth.

Listen to him on these two posts. He is right on.

I made some salsa a while back with a couple supers thrown in. It actually really turned into sort of a pico because I had to drain all the juice out because it was too watery. Though the amount of peppers was proportionate to everything I put in, it was still too much. And as for marinating in its juices? For some reason with the supers it is almost instantaneous. In the end I just ended up mixing it with some Velveeta salsa style. That was actually pretty good.

I have a couple pics of how that went down actually...

It wasn't a very pretty salsa but I saved it with the cheese. It was good.

Back