• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Quick question, Hydroponics temperature

Im just about to finish work and going to buy an aquarium heater on my way home.

Whats the ideal temperature for chiliplants grown in a watertank? 18-19 degrees celsius?!

I know ive read this before but cant find the thread!, sry :oops:

From what I've read the lower 20's. too cold would mess with the nutrients absorption and too hot would either hurt the plants or get some nasty pathogens.

Omri said:
From what I've read the lower 20's. too cold would mess with the nutrients absorption and too hot would either hurt the plants or get some nasty pathogens.

Ok, around what i was thinking then. Thanx! 18 degrees is the lowest setting. I bought a 75W for my 45L tank. Its recomended from 60-100L, but the nights are getting cold here and will go down all the way to 6 degrees above zero the following days. What a crappy summer this has been!

I bought a Tetratec 75W at the petshop. Costed me $45 :rolleyes: But it was the best one they had and the cheaper models looked pretty shitty.

Now im off to install it and change water/nutrient in the tank and off course some cleaning. It will be interesting to see if the heater will ?affect/effect? :) the growth of the plants.

This must be the "northiest" outdoor hydroponical chili-grow in the world. Wonder if i should call Guinnes? :P

The lower the temperatures, the less capsaicin produced.
You'll want to ensure that whatever temp you set it at, that you make sure its under 20C during the night time, otherwise fruit won't set properly.

MiLK_MaN said:
You'll want to ensure that whatever temp you set it at, that you make sure its under 20C during the night time, otherwise fruit won't set properly.

Wouldn't that be hard to control inside a house or outdoors. If it is outside and in direct sunlight, the water is going to absorb quite a bit of heat and not give it up very quickly.

If it is inside unless it is a cool room to start with, then it might be possible to turn the heater down (or off) during nighttime.

Of course, I'm new to this aspect of raising plants. It will probably be at least two more weeks before I get any blooms but I suspect the water will still be 26 degrees, or at least 24 degrees.

Mike

I dont think the water temperature is your concern, its the ambient temperatures. Stabilised water temperatures are probably a good thing, but certainly the ambient temperatures need to fluctuate between day and night, according to what I've read on the net anyway

Read this chart.

Above 20C, water won't hold much oxygen.

The more oxygen in the water, the better.

oxygen-solubility-water-2.png

Back