• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Quick question...

I have a praying mantis that has been hanging out in my garden(his name is Shithead pronounced "shith-eed" :lol: )and has recently taken up refuge in my bhut plant. I was wondering...as far as garden bugs go, are praying mantis good or bad to have around??

DarkTrak ....... those fellas are your friends. I bought some last year and I hope they left young some where. Lady bugs are good too. I'm thinkin' where you are there may be some small lizards that help keep plant eating bugs at bay.

Peace & good luck ,
P. Dreadie

DarkTrak said:
I wish I could but they are awful hard to come by.

Apparently Shithead had babies!!
P1020799-1.jpg

Very cool, those guys are GREAT garden partners. They eat all kinds of bugs that are out to do your plants harm. Now it looks like you have a new sheriff in town to keep things in check. Congrats ;)

Of all the 6 legged creatures you have in your garden, thats the most wanted one to have. He will feast on any other bug out to do harm to your garden. Here is one I found in my garden last year, probably the largest bug I have ever seen in western Washington!

100_0443.jpg

He was a little over 3 inches long. many years ago I had one land on my shoulder down in Dixie that was every bit of 6 inches. I was outside drinking beer with some friends at the time, felt like someone was looking over my shoulder. Turned my head to look and found myself nose to antennae with him, scared the bejesus out of me!

Back