• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Rainman's 2014-2015 Glog

OK, so last year was my first full grow season using seedlings from a garden centre (grown in pots) which had mixed results.  Did you usual over-watered, over-fertilised, over-cared approach and experimented with soil mixes from too heavy to too light, had to battle fungus gnats on mass, a black fungus that wiped out a few plants and a swarm of aphids at the end of the season too... BUT still got a few pods to try that cant be bought from the local supermarkets, so was not all bad and I think learned a lot for this year.

This season I'm trying to grow from seed.  A big shout out and many thanks Micca (THP member), who sent me a very generous seed pack.  Really blew my mind how many varieties he sent me.  

To trial run the heated mini-greenhouse I'll be using to germinate the seeds, I did a trial run using:

1. Seasoning pepper (Micca)
2. Hot Thai (Wildfire)
3. Mustard Habanero (Micca)
4. Jalapeno (my own seed from last year).
5. A heap of Thai Basil

Mistake No.1 was forgetting to put labels on the pots... Anyway, here is the set up:
20140705_112436_zps8007b624.jpg

Using jiffy pellets, then a bare seedling mix in cups.  The light are 2 x 55W T5s on a 15hr day / 9 hr night cycle.

The plants are about 3 weeks old here:
20140705_112521_zps8e97076f.jpg

The plants above are now 7 weeks old (no photo yet) and have been moved out into the greenhouse to harden off.  Its too early really, but the above plants were really just a trial run to see how I went with my grow light cycles, watering etc.

I need the space to put the 2014-2015 main event when they hopefully germinate in the next week.  So without further ado, the 2014-2015 line up comprises:

1. Chocolate Brain Strain (Wildfire)
2. Red Brain Strain (Micca)
3. Bhut Jolokia (Wildfire)
4. White Bhut Jolokia (Micca)
5. 7 Pot Yellow (Micca)
6. Carolina Reaper (Micca)
7. Dorset Nagga (Micca)
8. 7 Pot Congo Gigantic (Micca)
9. Jamaican Scotch Bonnet (Micca)
10. Trinidad Large 7 Pot Yellow (Micca)

20140719_172923_zpsb8946679.jpg

The final home for these plants will be two raised beds and a small planter box.  I'm going for an organic grow this year as I had a terrible knack of over-fertilising last year. The soil medium was initially a mix of sand, loam and compost. It was way too heavy, so I've cut in a generous amount of perlite and potting mix to improve the drainage.  The few storms that rolled through indicate the drainage is now OK (I hope).  I've worked in a little chicken manure and have a cut grass compost pile on the go that should be ready for the spring in September.  Also my worm bin appears to be producing a heap of black gold, so in September I plan to do the finishing touches to the soil.  Lastly, I have rigged up an air pump to start producing compost teas.  I'm planning on doing a soil drench with tea when I transplant the 10 above and any of the trail run plants that make it into the raised beds.

So fingers crossed for this season.  Anyone that wants to follow this glog please feel free to shout out any advice if you notice anything I'm doing wrong and thanks fr stopping by.

Rainman.

Here's a pic of the four trial runners that I forgot to label (7 weeks old now):
20140720_103342_zps4bbd24bf.jpg

I'm guessing by the leaf shapes that the two on the right are the Thai Hot and Jalapeno and the two on the left are the Seasoning Pepper and the Mustard Habanero.

They seemed to have survive their first night outside unscathed.  One of the plants has a leaf that is twisting around - assuming it did not appreciate the colder night temps out there as opposed to my indoor grow box.

looking fantastic there Rainman  :cool:
The raised beds are definately the way to go too. I'm sure you will end up growing in raised beds, planters and pots because we just seem to keep running out of space to put them!
Hey you are going to trial the compost tea. It is something that I am always going to do but never get around to it.
You will have to let me know how it goes but been told it kicks ass!
Wormcastings in the soil mix is damn good too.

And yep it looks like the Chinenses are on the left of the picture.

Happy Chilli Growing Mate,
Micca

So its about a week after planting the seeds and a few have sprouted and a few more are starting to poke out the top of the soil ever so slightly.  So far the following have popped up: 2 x Dorset Nagga, 1 x White Bhut Jolokia, 2 x Giant Yellow 7 Pot, 1 x Normal Yellow 7 Pot, 1 x 7 Pot Congo Gigantic, 1 x Reaper and 1 x Brainstrain.

20140729_172854_zps7ee9ef4a.jpg

The above photo is just after a watering as they were a little on the dry side by the time I got home today.

Micca302 said:
looking fantastic there Rainman  :cool:
The raised beds are definately the way to go too. I'm sure you will end up growing in raised beds, planters and pots because we just seem to keep running out of space to put them!
Hey you are going to trial the compost tea. It is something that I am always going to do but never get around to it.
You will have to let me know how it goes but been told it kicks ass!
Wormcastings in the soil mix is damn good too.

And yep it looks like the Chinenses are on the left of the picture.

Happy Chilli Growing Mate,
Micca

Thanks mate - I'll let you know how the tea goes... funnily I have been meaning to trial a few brews to get it down before the season starts, but have been procrastinating about it too much instead to doing it.  I will make an effort to have a go this weekend as the weather is supposed to be nice and sunny - no rain!

I agree about the pots.  I planted two seeds of each variety to reduce the risk that I don't get a specific type, but if all are healthy, I will try and get them to the end of the season, which will mean some in pots, or make a new raised bed... now there's a plan!

Sawyer said:
You're off to a good start. 

ArkansasJack said:
Your plants look good. Good luck on your growing,season....

Sawyer / Jack - thanks guys.  Definitely think a little luck never hurts when it comes to trying to grow plants.  

Ahh it's nice when the little babies start to pop.
The Yellow 7-Pod is one of my favs and looks pretty damn good too.

Micca

This week a few more seeds popped their heads out.  That leaves at least one of each variety, except for the chocolate brainstrain from Wildfire (both are still no shows to the party).

Is there a time period where I should rule further germination out? Its been three weeks now and there about 7 seeds still in the soil showing no signs of life... I',m wondering if I should cut my losses and start some more?

This week I lost a seedling :( I think it got too dry and its leaves all shriveled up under the lights (left side of the below photo) so that was was culled.  
Also one plant fell over - I suspected damping off (right side of the below photo).
20140804_161529_zps5c4f5c58.jpg

As an interim measure I stood it up, potted it up and burried it a little deeper.
20140804_162213_zps70324c6e.jpg

Its seems to be recovering as its first set of leaves are coming through now:
20140809_092042_zps2f551726.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm still trying to get my watering regime right.  To avoid damping off reappearing I cut back on the watering, but I think I went too far and now some of the cotys look a little deformed or have a purple colouring developing on them.  You can see the deformed one in the center and the staining on the bottom right of the below photo:
20140809_092002_zps542cfbe1.jpg

Sadly, during my panic to re-hydrate the pellets after the episode where I let them totally dry up, I mixed up the labels, so the plants will never be known to me now unless they pod up.  I'm not too bothered about this as its be a nice surprise each time when/if they set pods!

Lastly, the four trial runners are going well.  All four have pushed on the last couple of days with the 20C-24C sunny winter temps we've had lately:
20140809_092148_zps52511416.jpg

You cant see it in the photo, but the back left has lost 2 lower leaves that went yellow, also the front right, has a yellowing on the edges of some leaves.  I can see lots of roots in the bottom of the pots, so I'm thinking its time to pot up and give them a weak feed (all four have only had water in bare potting soil until now) so hopefully that will sort them out.  

Back