Rairdog's Shanks on sale 1.27 $/lb

grantmichaels said:
Cool. Glad to see you brewing away ...

I'm well-positioned work-wise to brew on Monday!
Ya, trying to get ahead og the hump of drinking green beer.  I want to let this batch sit for 3 weeks and then a week in the keg at 14 psi.

Post up some pics of your brew on Monday.  I have read through most of your threads but don't have the full process in my head yet. 

Another thing....I was looking into the SS screen strainer.  It seemed to clog up because it doesn't flex and move like a bag.  How is it working for you?

Sure, I usually always photodoc ...

Planning to do some new things this coming batch ...

Another thing....I was looking into the SS screen strainer.  It seemed to clog up because it doesn't flex and move like a bag.  How is it working for you?

I use a recirculating pump as part of my system, so there's an element of forced mixing that's somewhat inherent, but my strainer basket was more solid than open, and now it's considerably more open than solid is all ...

I may still use an bag in my basket, but there will be a better grain-to-hot-liquor interface w/ this modified basket, and I have hooks to prop it up above for actively sparging the grains ...

I don't care about improved efficiency in terms of $, but I do care because of limited room in my current system ...

I'll be scaling up to ten gallon batches of wort sooner than later, definitely this Fall/Winter, but also am planning to divide those into 3-4x 2.5-3 gallon beers by doing compare/contrast ...

A small keg plain, one w/ fruit puree in secondary, one on soaked chips, one w/ vanilla/peppers type shit ...

What I'm doing now only makes sense in the context of where I'm trying to go, and the focused beers I want to brew primarily ...

I'm planning to gather up my thoughts/plans into a long-format post soon, time permitting ;)

Hefe slurry out of the fridge.

2 hrs later with 1 qt slurry/beer and 1 qt DME/water and a pinch of nute.

I was gonna brew tomorrow and give it 24 hrs but it's raring to go.  I just got to figure how much to use.  The hefe slurry is a lot different than PA slurry.  There are no colored layers.

You betcha!!  Easy brew.

Figure out your total water and sparge temp with http://pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc/  My total water was 7.87 with mash at 153 and strike at 161

I went with 5.5 gal and heated to 161. 

Then i put the bag in, add the grain and stir it up.  It hit 153 and I leave it for 90 min.  I kick the heat on at 30 min intervals and stir.

Then I pull the bag and set it on a grate.  It drains and I sparge with 2.37 gal of water @ 170ish to get my pre boil at 7.87 gal.  Slowly pour it over the bag.

Then take the lid and press out the rest.

Bring to a boil and do your hop schedule.

Meanwhile suck up the good white yeast off your starter.  I am new to this but my understanding is wheat yeast is a little different than normal.  I want to top crop and get some good white.  Then I slightly underpitch to get the banana going so it's multiplying instead of eating.

Near the end of boil put in your chiller to sterilize in boiling wort.

Then I bring the pot to cool and the chiiler dumps right back to my well point.

Pump the chiiler to cool and oxygenate

I can go from 212 to 65-70 in 20 minutes with my well water.

Then I siphon from kettle to fermenter.  Swirl the hose and make lots of oxygen

Check your OG...hit on the money at 52

Pitch your yeast.  I'm find pitching a slighty cooler yeast into a little warmer wort fires them up....and they get busy

Cap the fermenter and fill the 3 piece air lock with star san.  Once you see bubbles you know you done good.  Switch to blow off tube to avoid mess.

Oh ya....throw everything into a bucket of oxyclean and kiss your woman so she does her part!

It's a 3-4 hr process that take less than an hour to tend to.  Missy say's let's do the the next batch which I have ready.   But that would move to drunken chef...I'd f it up!

It always ends up taking me like 5.5-6 hrs ...

I could better prepare in advance, though, certainly ...

Also, I've been doing 90-160 minutes mashes and 90-100 minute boil's because I've been making really big beer the last three times ...

Oh well ... had to steal the US-05 from the batch I was going to brew today, to kick last weekend's batch in the ass a lil' bit and try to spur it to continue ...

I took it as a sign of sorts, as I was kind of tired still when I woke up, and I could probably stand to relax and spend some time w/ Danielle today ...

I'll just brew whichever day the replacement yeast comes during the week, is all ... no biggie!

I have a lot of killer beer in the house - looking forward to seeing how much more I can imbibe this evening, lol ;)

CHEERS!

I just kegged a 2 week old APA and a 1 week old Hefe.  I cant stop drinking the green beer before it matures.  Even green and not completely carbonated it tastes better than most cheap beers.  Hince....I drink it in a green bottle.

Building up the ale yeast for a brew day tomorrow.   Sacrilege I know but that's my beer in that cheap green bottle.

The green house it 58 while it is 37 outside.  This will be my waiting room while brewing outside over the winter.  Listening to the tunes and awaiting the next process. 

Daytime temps in the GH are 50 deg above ambient on a sunny day. The celery loves it!  The rest are cleared out for the winter.  Did I mention I like brewing outdoors!

The dehydrator is packed with black cherry tomato's for a new brew.

Atmosphere and ambiance trumps gadgets....lol. 

Tomorrow is a brew day.  Looking forward to seeing TC1010 get on it.  Inspector Gadget will trump the field and hopefully others will join!  Brew on!

Rairdog said:
I just kegged a 2 week old APA and a 1 week old Hefe.  I cant stop drinking the green beer before it matures.  Even green and not completely carbonated it tastes better than most cheap beers.  Hince....I drink it in a green bottle.

Building up the ale yeast for a brew day tomorrow.   Sacrilege I know but that's my beer in that cheap green bottle.

The green house it 58 while it is 37 outside.  This will be my waiting room while brewing outside over the winter.  Listening to the tunes and awaiting the next process. 

Daytime temps in the GH are 50 deg above ambient on a sunny day. The celery loves it!  The rest are cleared out for the winter.  Did I mention I like brewing outdoors!

The dehydrator is packed with black cherry tomato's for a new brew.

Atmosphere and ambiance trumps gadgets....lol. 

Tomorrow is a brew day.  Looking forward to seeing TC1010 get on it.  Inspector Gadget will trump the field and hopefully others will join!  Brew on!

Looks good ...

I'm about to do some work, I think ... to try to still be able to brew ...

Yeah ... it's our busiest time of year at work ...

Just ... absolutely slammed with houses right now ..

It's all good, though ... so much CAD and beer! ;)

CAD and beer...better have Danielle proof it before sending it out.

Sitting in my Florida room.  A comfy 65 deg.  It was 40 out when I started.

Floridians were thick jackets when it's 40 out.....I just wear a long sleave shirt.  Had a sweat shirt on but was too hot.

Rairdog said:
You better be there for Tc's cherry!  You made a lot of this happen my friend!  Endless blabbering and way cool gadgets have paid off!  Got me into it.  Don't let us down!

He certainly did, all of you guys whetted my appetite.  I may hit you up for a mead recipe you like.  Sounds like something I want to try.  

tctenten said:

He certainly did, all of you guys whetted my appetite.  I may hit you up for a mead recipe you like.  Sounds like something I want to try.  

Check out Rocketmans Brewlog on the first couple pages.  I am going to try that recipe next.  Basically rasins, organges, 3 lbs of honey and top it to a gal with water.  I have only made one batch and I think I screwed it up by adding peach slurry.  It will probably turn into dry hooch.  I will be glad to send you a quart of my own honey.  It has a great floral fruity flavor from spring.  I can also collect you a qt of fall goldenrod honey.  Each quart weighs about 2 lb 12 oz.

I will check that out, and I would love to try some of  your honey.  I can paypal you or we can figure something else out.  

Someone knows how to make a good hefe. I like fermenting them at like 63 to 64 too. Perfect blend of phenols and iso amyl

wheebz said:
Someone knows how to make a good hefe. I like fermenting them at like 63 to 64 too. Perfect blend of phenols and iso amyl

This one doesn't have the strong banana like the last one at 68-70.  It seems more like paulaner when I tasted the fg before kegging.   It didn't blow out the top like the other ferment either. 

One thing I didn't account for brewing on the deck.  Fall leaves are flowing.  If one lands in my cooled wort I'm gonna be po'ed.

Back