Rairdog's Shanks on sale 1.27 $/lb

Jim that is pretty cool and helpful to me. I think you brew 5 gallon batches? That would roughly put for grain at 2 lbs per gallon?

I'm off for a week and have 60 lbs of double grind grain to use up.  No family obligations except for my uncle I got to pick up.  He want's to brew and try some.  Did I mention he just got out of the hospital a few months ago and has a oxygen generator to spare....he has 2.  I'm not sure how to use it but I will figure it out. 

If I had more buckets/kegs I would have been tempted to brew 7 batches in 7 days.  We will brew a T-day and a couple more over the weekend.  I got to keep him in check and not over exerted.

Did you ever find a good Gumball recipe?

My LHBS has a clone with rave reviews

9 # 2 Row
.75 # White Wheat
.75 # Flaked Wheat

. 5 oz Amarillo @ 60
. 5 oz Amarillo @ 30
. 5 oz Amarillo @ 15
. 5 oz Amarillo @ 5
1 oz Amarillo @ DH

I am thinking

9 # 2 Row
1.5 # White wheat

Same schedule with Galena and Galaxy at DH

Grains per gallon don't mean much with BIAB until you get into the lower gal/qt/grain.  I heat 5.5 gal to 160f.  Add my grains which are room temp at 70ish.  That makes the mash 152ish.  Cover with a old ski jacket and it will not drop more than a degree in 60min.  I sparge/rinse the grains with 2 gal of 170f.  20f above per Wheebz...and standard.  That makes a total of 7.5 gal.  It boils down to 5.5 gal.  I loose .25 g in the kettle to fermenter....I loose .25 gal in the fermenter to keg.  5 g in the keg.

9-11 lbs per 7.5g water has kept me in the 1.050ish range and 5% +/- ABV with beers I like.   

Today's brew was some experimenting. 

Batch size 5.5 gal

Grains (I used flaked wheat in Brewers Friend calcs to rep whole wheat flour)

9.5 lbs 2 Row
6 oz White Wheat
4 oz Whole Wheat Flour.......ya that's correct
2 oz 60 L
2 oz Choc

Heat 5.5g mash water to 160f....mash at 152f for 60 min
Sparge with 2.2 gal water @ 170f
60 min boil

.5 oz Columbus 17.8% @ 60 min
1 oz Galena 13.9% @5 min
.5 oz Falconers Flight @ FO

I call her a Dirty Flirty Gal....a dark PA with some wheat, 60L, choc and Galena/Falcon Flight hops.  I hit about 1.050 with temp adjustment....a little low of the 1.052 I was shooting for.  I could tell by the taste of the wort it was on my goal.  A PA with some wheat feel and some dark sweetness. 

I skipped a mid boil hop to keep it at 45-55 ibu for bitterness and experiment with hop finish times.

My uncle left me the oxy generator to play with for the next few brews.

I has been a good weekend thus far.  Overall, my PDG PA won out over the Founders Centenial IPA I had on hand with some family and friends that dropped by.  This confirms my path to explore lightly hopped PA's and steer clear of the hyped up IPA's, DIPA's and hop bombs.  They do say WOW but they don't say pound 6+ of them.  Next experiment will be with some brown basmati rice cooked too mush and added to mash with a dunkel.  I have a lot of whole wheat flower and brown rice approaching it's due date that needs used up anyhow.

tctenten said:
Jim is your PDG PA recipe in this thread. A lightly hopped PA is what I want to brew next.

It's actually a kit from my LHBS.  They also have a brewpub with it on tap year round because it's so popular.  Can't beat the price for 23 bucks compared to the hops involved in higher priced kits.

Here is a link to the 5 gal kit of PDG
http://shop.greatfermentations.com/product/pdg-pale-all-grain-beer-kit/all-grain-beer-kits

If you click on product documentation...there is a link to instructions and ingredients pdf file.
http://www.greatfermentations.com/downloads/instructions/beerkits/PDGPaleAle-AllGrain.pdf

All their kits have a link to ingredients.  This one opened my mind to combine 2 row with some wheat, crystal and experiment.  Then I compared it to other clones in the same styles.  NB has the same options to look at their ingredients.  They take a different approach using less 2-row but getting close to the same clone.  That's how I started putting the pieces together.       

I just kegged my Dunkelweizen at day 9.  Good thing about wheat...it finishes in 7-10 days.  Makes the schedule of beer on rotation easy to have beer on tap.  It finished at 1.012ish.  Not as much flavor, mouthfeel and malt taste as the last batch with Vienna and Munnich.  I replaced those with just 2 row in this batch.  It has confirmed one of my hypothesis that 2 row is not as good as supplement as MO, Vienna and Munnich.  You can get the same conversion but it is in a cheap way of replacing them.   It reminds me of store bought tomatoes vs homegrown to a lesser degree.  

Rairdog said:
It has confirmed one of my hypothesis that 2 row is not as good as supplement as MO, Vienna and Munnich.  You can get the same conversion but it is in a cheap way of replacing them.

Wheebz has been preaching the MO for years in these parts ...

grantmichaels said:

Wheebz has been preaching the MO for years in these parts ...

I have not seen that but have seen it preached in SMaSH's.  I new it going in on the "bulk buy 2 row" , I just needed to figure out if the more expensive base malts were worth the price.  It seemed like you can still use the 2 row and supplement it with better malts.   It's like making up what it was lacking IMO.  There are lots of recipes out there with 2 row....but why do they add the more expensive base malts and what do they accomplish.  I had to figure it out for myself. 

I use 2 row for 80 percent of the beers I make. It's not a cheap factor. It's a beer style factor. If I am making a pale ale or an IPA I'm not going to use Munich or Vienna. The style doesn't want it nor do I.

I only ever use a max of 20% of Vienna or Munich or both in any of the beers I ever use it in.

I think there's been some misuse of words around the threads ...

There's MO, there's 2-row, and there's also pale malt ...

I think I've noticed some conflation of the latter two amongst the threads ...

Actually all your base malts are a 2 row barley.

And there are a lot more base malts than just 2 row, pale, and marris otter. Pilsner, golden promise, chandelier, pearl malt, kolsch malt, couple others

Actually all your base malts are a 2 row barley.

And there are a lot more base malts than just 2 row, pale, and marris otter. Pilsner, golden promise, chandelier, pearl malt, kolsch malt, couple others

I know you don't think I thought there was only three base malts ...

No Patagonia in your list? Darwin's weeping ...

It just seems my beers better mouthfeel/body when heavy on 2 row when I add some Vienna, Munich or Wheat....at least for my tastes. 

Working on the next recipe.  A hoppy Gumball style with different hops.  As I mentioned my LHBS uses mostly 2 row with a little flaked wheat for their Gumball clone.  I am leaning towards more wheat.

I'm calling it G3 = Gumball, Galaxy, Galena

7 lbs  2 row (I might toast a pound or so)
4 lbs  White Wheat
6 oz  60L
8 oz Whole Wheat flour

.5 oz Columbus @60 min
.5 oz Galaxy      @10-15 min
1  oz Galaxy      @FO
.5 oz Galena      @FO

From Brewers Friend this should be:
OG 1.061
FG  1.009-10
ABV 6.91%
IBU 56.49
SRM 6.53

Question is do I want to use Safale 05 or 06 yeast cakes.  Most seem to lean towards 05 for this style but I won't have a cake ready for another week or so.  The 06 is already jarred in the fridge.  I could try and top crop some 05 from the fermenter since it's at high krausen now.....sounds risky. 

wheebz said:

And lose the c60 if you want a gumball head clone. It's pilsner white wheat and flaked wheat

I top cropped about a cup of S-05 clean foam from high krausen that had been fermenting violently for 4 days.  Then I made a starter and added more wort the next day to step it up.  Smells great so it should work.

It's not really a GB clone.   It's not at least 50% wheat so I don't know how you would classify.  I have not seen many recipes in the 60-70% 2 row/pils  30-40% wheat range.  It's what I have to work with so we will see.  I will skip the the c60L. 

Thanks

Anyhoo.....the beer is mashing now so I got time to kill.

Missy hates beer and rarely drinks.  I gave her some of my peach mead with OJ and a lil honey and she loved it. 

She is an all day pepsi drinker.  Think she would notice if I swapped out with my Dunkel.... :twisted:

Back