• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Random Curiosities

I was curious...

Is it unusual for someone my age (22) to be interested in growing/gardening peppers,fruits,veggies,etc?

And would it be better to wait to grow until I have my own house? Apartment growing seems complicated

I don't understand the age part of the question. Why the age matters, and why it would be strange or why you would care if someone thought it was... kinda lost on that one.

I dont have any balconies myself though. My apartment isn't growing friendly it seems

The Hot Pepper said:
I don't understand the age part of the question. Why the age matters, and why it would be strange or why you would care if someone thought it was... kinda lost on that one.
People have called me weird for liking that hobby. It's hard to explain

Well you're asking a pepper forum if it's strange to grow peppers so I'm not sure what response you're expecting. :lol:

The Hot Pepper said:
Well you're asking a pepper forum if it's strange to grow peppers so I'm not sure what response you're expecting. :lol:
You have a point with that one >.< Didn't quite think that through I suppose. Its nice knowing others grow and eat the same things as myself though. I hope to gain friendship here

Do the balcony growing, a yard doesn't matter, even when people have yards they sometimes grow in 5 gal. containers.

Keep growing on a balcony. It's actually better because nothing like deer get to it. That and you can usually bring favorite plants inside over the winter.

Zoli said:
I would say its unusual but who cares. It is more likely that the people calling you weird are the weird. This is a good thing and more people should do it.
I agree with you. If more people did this,then we would all have more places to shop and meet.

And I dont have a balcony to grow. Deer aren't a problem here

You said you didn't have a balcony, but surely there are some areas in or around your apt building that would fit a pot or three. Ask the building manager; he would know where you can grow (or tell you its not allowed). Might even be a chile head and let you grow in the basement. If you have only windows you can still work vertically. Keep poking around, the internet is a powerful tool. The knowledge you assemble now will help you when you get into that house :)

I don't think it's weird. Age shouldn't matter one bit with regards to your hobby. Case in point, in Japan is not uncommon to see middle aged men playing pokemon.

Also smokenfire is right, you don't need a balcony. Indoor growing presents its own set of challenges but also has its abvantages.

If you have a sunny window then you're all set to get started. I have my overwintering area near a small window in our attic storage area. There is a mini green house tent over the plants and the back & sides of the tent are lined with mylar to catch and reflect light back towards the window & back side of the plants. You could do something similar and supplement with CFLs from the top.

SmokenFire said:
You said you didn't have a balcony, but surely there are some areas in or around your apt building that would fit a pot or three. Ask the building manager; he would know where you can grow (or tell you its not allowed). Might even be a chile head and let you grow in the basement. If you have only windows you can still work vertically. Keep poking around, the internet is a powerful tool. The knowledge you assemble now will help you when you get into that house :)
Thank you for the ideas. I will be certainly looking into asking the manager next time i see her about. 

What do you all think would be a good month to start growing?

filmost said:
I don't think it's weird. Age shouldn't matter one bit with regards to your hobby. Case in point, in Japan is not uncommon to see middle aged men playing pokemon.

Also smokenfire is right, you don't need a balcony. Indoor growing presents its own set of challenges but also has its abvantages.

If you have a sunny window then you're all set to get started. I have my overwintering area near a small window in our attic storage area. There is a mini green house tent over the plants and the back & sides of the tent are lined with mylar to catch and reflect light back towards the window & back side of the plants. You could do something similar and supplement with CFLs from the top.
Thanks for that as well. I also play Pokemon and into the anime stuff,so gardening is a bit of a different hobby. I am glad I am not alone though with so many of you helpful people on this site.

I have plenty of windowsills I could grow from then.

I started growing when I was about 15. Wasn't vegetable or peppers,  but alike I was growing something to harvest.  People thought it was always fascinating what I could do with seeds. The gardener in me came from my mom.  Always had some vegetables growing along with her rose bushes and stuff.  I thought it was cool watching them grow and end up on the dinner plate.  

Nowadays people think I'm weird for growing a huge variety of insanely hot peppers.  

To answer your question,  no,  I think it's perfectly acceptable.  And like said above,  don't have to have your own yard to grow something.  Get creative and find something that would work for your situation. 

Hey Dave.
dont worry about what others may think, simply because you are not living for them. thats not just on the peppers hobby but  life in general.

on the pepper hobby, it is a really nice addictive and constructive activity. the only bad thing is that every year you want to grow more and more .

here there are people who are very young, under 18 and there are others who are in the 90s like scovie.

this great forum is a gathering place for people from all over the world, all ages, and backgrounds, one thing they all found in common, they are simply into peppers. just like you, we all started one day with simply plant(s) from home depot or flea market.

dont feel alone or different , actually , here you only become normal when you are into peppers otherwise u would have been in another forum like cars or tomatoes 

i will say start your seeds right away soak them in water over nigh then plant them about 1/4 inch in any germination mix 

if you need more help i can email you a detailed instructions on planting peppers from seeds, or you can browse the history here and u will find great info 

Welcome to THP since you are fairly new!
Definitely not strange. I'm 25 and have come back to my interest of growing things from when I used to grow vegetables in my teens. I have a small apartment but am lucky enough to have some space in the yard for container growing and a couple raised beds at my girlfriends parents' house. There are certainly ways around not being able to plant in ground. Stumble through the glogs and I'm sure you will find ideas and methods that suite your needs. 

cruzzfish said:
Keep growing on a balcony. It's actually better because nothing like deer get to it. That and you can usually bring favorite plants inside over the winter.
lol thats one of the problems i face each year.
deer dont like nightshade plants; peppers, tomatoes, eggplants, they just take bites of few plants enough to taste them, then leave them alone .  

Back