• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

randyp SW Iowa 2015 not corn grow.

Time to knock the dust off the keypad and practice with the camera I got at the end of last season.My seed list is ready but still needs taken down a bit.I will say (judy) is going to have her own section in my garden and Hence forth shall be stated in my updates as(The Judy Wing).Also I have some seeds from my good buddy Dew(thanks Scott).One more shout out to Chris(Joyners powders friggin rock)as I will be introducing his ""Mystery Wine""to some good old dark Iowa soil.
    Alabama Jack,your puree basic recipe is the one I now will be using to preserve peppers for sauces that I don't dry,send to our friends on this site or torment my people at the factory with.It's so simple that I can move your numbers up or down and get the same results.I will be doing a better job this year on weights and measurements to not only help me but anyone checking in so if they see something I need to adjust,we have accurate numbers to go by.
   Starting nursery first week of March,plant out date first week of May.
All will be from seed this year.My first two years I bought some live plants,after I did my first start with seeds last year,I found they were more prepared and thrived because they had been in my control from the start.I do think highly of"chiliplants"and would send anyone looking for a healthy plant or new types to consult them.
      I look forward to watch other glogs,as we fight the weather,bugs,and other thing's the Wrath of God sends our way.
   Good luck to all.
 Randy
P.s
  If I can get my seed from the "Growdown"to be as tall as the corn here I will be a happy man. :party:

Puree --
2100 gr  peppers
1260 ml wht,vinegar
2tbls sea salt
7tbls honey

I found my new roaster perfect for this,as i ruin more pans trying to cook on a burner.(get a good one)
Use nothing but plastic utensils,I set temp at 275 degrees and adjusted up or down according to my simmer.
cooked down just a bit not 1/3rd for this batch.I am still toying with what works for me.
Waterbath jars.This made 3qts and 1pt(i will never,never cook puree or any heavy on the peppers stuff in the house again.lesson learned.)
thanks again AJ
2015-01-18 005.JPG

2015-01-18 006.JPG

2015-01-18 007.JPG

2015-01-18 009.JPG

2015-01-18 010.JPG

Wow, never thought about using an electric roaster like that. Cool idea, cheap enough so you can have one dedicated to your pepper sauces.

tctenten said:
Good stuff Randy. Glad to see your glog back for another year.
   Terry,your jam was still the best I have had to date.Good ya stopped by.

Hawaiianero said:
Wow, never thought about using an electric roaster like that. Cool idea, cheap enough so you can have one dedicated to your pepper sauces.
    Get a good one.The cheap ones teflon comes off to easy.Bad for sauce.My roaster.spreads the sauce out instead of up.Heating all sooner I think.Thanks for checking out what I hope will be a great year.

hottoddy said:
Cool. I got lots of relatives in Emerson and Red Oak, IA. Are you sure you don't grow corn?   I graduated from Red oak.My Mom,dad,brother and sister still live there/I live in Corning.Keep in touch we will see who we may or may not no.And I will be glad to kick ya out pods when ready.
    opps i got into your post. :P

romy6 said:
Will be watching Randy !!!!
    Thanks Jamie,for now my eyes are pointed South to see the season getting kick started.Like a pub at the table waiting for treats.Cant wait to see what goodies you come up with this year.

Dang Randy, that's a butt load of puree!

Glad to see you back in the game this season!

Good luck!

Devv said:
Dang Randy, that's a butt load of puree!

Glad to see you back in the game this season!

Good luck!
    I think the puree will buy them some time and I wont worry about freezer burn as much.Thanks Scott.

How slow is it up here? Inch of snow Sunday.The kids get the attention as usual.Carley needed a radiator repair today,could not wait for me to get one in.Bring on the quick fixes(jb weld and or Magnum steel)
     How is this pepper related?The more of these Dad list's I knock out now,the more digging I do in a month. :P
Bad spot for this hole,cap is hard to play around and neck was to thin for a rethread job.
View attachment 17770
She was throwing fluid all over her new battery so i installed my mower mulcher shield(i never use)as a battery topper.You wont find those at Amazon.
View attachment 17771

Devv said:
Glad I don't have a white cover crop down here!
      The snow will be with me for a little while longer Scott.I will be in a better place in three weeks when I start this years seed crop.

While I am waiting,just started a new batch of puree to finish off my Yellows from 2014
Same amount of peppers as my red,so my 1 gallon bags seem to hold a little over 700 grams
2015-02-07 004.JPG

Just started cookdown
2015-02-07 006.JPG

Things are picking up,I am finishing my seed starting cabinet I am making out of a dollhouse I built my daughter when she was 5.Inside already growing are my 4 growdown Thai.The main push of seeds and my grow list will be posted within the next couple weeks.I am waiting for lights to finish the box.
2015-02-28 006.JPG

2015-02-28 008.JPG

Hi Rune,I am putting a t5 24inch single in the second shelf,and for now thats all in need for starting seeds with the top shelf already up and running.I gutted my daughters closet(she moved ;) )wait till ya see the remodel I will be done with this weekend for the young plants.

I started over reading your glog; the worst part of making puree for us was the clean up. It liked to kill us both, the cooking was a non issue. Next time I bring the gear outside and use the hose, from a distance of course ;)

Nice grow station! It's nice when the kids fly off. I grew in one of the kids old rooms last season; but was ejected. Now LB wants the rooms free for grand kiddo visits; I don't think I'll be around long enough to get that room back ;)

Thanks for droppin in Scott,The kitchen is a nightmare after sauce making esp.the dishwashing.
 Got my seeds in dirt now i must finish the pre-plant out closet,

soaking seeds
2015-03-07 009.JPG

This pic was funnier when I put the 25 plant tags with their puck.No problem accept with I forgot I had to put the dome on.

Attachments

• 2015-03-07 019.JPG
    2015-03-07 019.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 50
Back