• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Rare Chilli Varieties

I'm looking for some ideas about what to grow next year so I thought I'd ask you learned folk if you had some thoughts on rare or unusual chilli varieties and maybe even where to get hold of some seeds of the rarer varieties. Any thoughts welcome and if possible a little info on them would be cool

Cheers

Matt

I don't know about rare, but I like Jonah 7Pot, Red Savina, and Fatalli. It's all about flavor for me.
I'm not a grower so I can't give you much info.
Check the market place for seeds, they shouldn't be hard to find around here!
Good luck!

Hi SD, ooh yeah the red savina is delish isnt it. Ive not tried the 7pot or fatalli yet (this is only my second year growing) but they are definately on my radar. Good call on the market place, I will be checking it out presently

I don't know if you can get Chorizo (Mexican sausage) where your at but,
I have some fresh/ frozen 7Pots I put in there, and it's awesome.
Maybe good with your local "Bangers"? :rofl:

When I think of "rare" peppers, ornamentals come to mind. The popular super hot peppers are just about everywhere because let's face it, heat is cool. Everyone wants to grow painfully hot peppers.

Check out:

Purple Tiger
Condors Beak
Bolivian Rainbow
Black Pearl

None of them are terribly hot, but they all look great in your garden/home and will give you enough heat to spice up most dishes to a good level.

lol, I see you've been learning your British history from Mary Poppins ;) . Hehe. Yeah we get Chorizo, they originate from Spain, which as I'm sure you know is pretty close to the UK (relatively speaking). They are blinding arent they, I love the sound of the 7pot in there, proper wikid. I'm dribbling just thinking about it

When I think of "rare" peppers, ornamentals come to mind. The popular super hot peppers are just about everywhere because let's face it, heat is cool. Everyone wants to grow painfully hot peppers.

Check out:

Purple Tiger
Condors Beak
Bolivian Rainbow
Black Pearl

None of them are terribly hot, but they all look great in your garden/home and will give you enough heat to spice up most dishes to a good level.
Hi GT, although I'm addicted to heat I'm certainly not aversed to growing milder varieties. The condors beak looks cool but I have to say the Black Pearl dropped my jaw, what an interesting looking plant, you could imagine it growing on a distant exoplanet, are the leaves really as black as the pictures make them look? That ones going on the list for next year.

Cheers

Yep, I'm growing Cumari this year, it's an interesting little chinense indeed, and with great flavor from what I hear. Cumari pollux is also supposed to have an excellent flavor.

This year I'm also growing some Wiri Wiri; I got the seed from another member so I'll make it a point to make seeds available later in the season; they're kind of annoying to find otherwise. Between the various vendors you can usually find what you're looking for, but if you're having trouble try posting in the marketplace section; people here are pretty good about getting you seeds you need, either through trade or gift. There are some nice folk on this site. Just pay it forward. :cool:

lol, I see you've been learning your British history from Mary Poppins ;) . Hehe. Yeah we get Chorizo, they originate from Spain, which as I'm sure you know is pretty close to the UK (relatively speaking). They are blinding arent they, I love the sound of the 7pot in there, proper wikid. I'm dribbling just thinking about it

Hi GT, although I'm addicted to heat I'm certainly not aversed to growing milder varieties. The condors beak looks cool but I have to say the Black Pearl dropped my jaw, what an interesting looking plant, you could imagine it growing on a distant exoplanet, are the leaves really as black as the pictures make them look? That ones going on the list for next year.

Cheers

This is the first year I'll be growing the black pearl. Mine seem to be as close to black as you can get.
DSC00324.jpg

Yup the black pearl is quite extraordinary. Amazing how even the cotelydons are even black to start. Can't wait till mine matures. Thinking maybe turn one into a bonchi this winter. How cool would that be!

Wow those are some cool pics, the pimenta da neydes looks interesting as well. How do the Black Pearls and Pimentas taste? Because I do want to grow interesting looking plants but the main reason is to eat the little buggers :party:

Yup the black pearl is quite extraordinary. Amazing how even the cotelydons are even black to start. Can't wait till mine matures. Thinking maybe turn one into a bonchi this winter. How cool would that be!
Do it man, that would look amazing

Yep, I'm growing Cumari this year, it's an interesting little chinense indeed, and with great flavor from what I hear. Cumari pollux is also supposed to have an excellent flavor.

This year I'm also growing some Wiri Wiri; I got the seed from another member so I'll make it a point to make seeds available later in the season; they're kind of annoying to find otherwise. Between the various vendors you can usually find what you're looking for, but if you're having trouble try posting in the marketplace section; people here are pretty good about getting you seeds you need, either through trade or gift. There are some nice folk on this site. Just pay it forward. :cool:

I might give the cumari a go next year I think, they sound good

I have been seeing black pearl plants alot lately at local nurseries. Last year I went to Philly to tour some farms and professional greenhouses. One of the greenhouses there was certified organic and they had large black pearl plants in hanging baskets scattered throughout their entire operation. The owner told me that the black pearl is the ideal habitat for one of the beneficial insects that they release throughout the year, I believe it was one of the parasitic wasp species. They are very beautiful plants and apparently good for even more than just eating and looking at! I also assume this is why I am seeing them at the nursery, greenhouse operations are probably offloading them on the cheap after they have served their purpose.

I haven't eaten a Pimenta da Neyde yet. I'm growing them for their rarity and uniqueness. I'm hoping they taste good. They are a stable hybrid of c. anuum and c. chinese. They are definitely rare. The black pearls are awesome looking too. I wish I had gotten seeds for them. I know the local nurseries here will sell them later in the season though. They are becoming very popular for their ornamental aspect. I suggest growing both :) .

I have been seeing black pearl plants alot lately at local nurseries. Last year I went to Philly to tour some farms and professional greenhouses. One of the greenhouses there was certified organic and they had large black pearl plants in hanging baskets scattered throughout their entire operation. The owner told me that the black pearl is the ideal habitat for one of the beneficial insects that they release throughout the year, I believe it was one of the parasitic wasp species. They are very beautiful plants and apparently good for even more than just eating and looking at! I also assume this is why I am seeing them at the nursery, greenhouse operations are probably offloading them on the cheap after they have served their purpose.
Thats interesting, I could certainly do with a few of those wasps to help keep the aphids down. I tried capturing some ladybirds from the back garden to help with that, but they kept buggering off, only one remained until a wasp larva burst out of its abdomen one day, I thought it was laying eggs but it was birthing a maggot aliens style. If the black pearl attracts the aphid killing varieties of wasp thats an added bonus and another reason why I'll defo be growing a few next year.

I haven't eaten a Pimenta da Neyde yet. I'm growing them for their rarity and uniqueness. I'm hoping they taste good. They are a stable hybrid of c. anuum and c. chinese. They are definitely rare. The black pearls are awesome looking too. I wish I had gotten seeds for them. I know the local nurseries here will sell them later in the season though. They are becoming very popular for their ornamental aspect. I suggest growing both :) .

Hopefully they will taste as good as they look :)

So I'm set on the Black pearl, thats a definite, the pimenta da neyde is a strong maybe, any other varieties?

Back