• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Rare Chilli Varieties

I bought some black pearls about 4 years ago from the Home Depot. They are still growing in on of my flowerbeds.

I like the idea of having loads of different coloured chillies all at different stages of ripeness on the one plant

I actually prefer the Chinese 5 color which is quite similar to the Bolivian rainbow, although the Bolivian has a couple slightly different versions

Potawie's Chinese 5 color
chinese5color12yo.jpg

The only pictures I found showed green leaves and purple fruits..?

Well kinda blue Mumrik, perhaps a bit more purple than blue with green mixed in. I think the fruits are def more purple than blue turning to red at maturity.

They're nice bright fruits aren't they, almost look like vivid purple cherries. The leaves look very interesting, they've got a sort of teal colour to them. This one might go on the list, did the chillies taste good as well adam?

The info I got was 'great in salsas' yeah thats what they say when they cant think of anything else! I superdried them, ground them to a fine powder and added salt to make a hot salt, don't know why just seemed like a good idea and it was! I isolated the one plant I had last year and managed to successfully save some seed most of which germinated. I've now got about 20 of the little monkeys!

If you are looking for rare, I came across one the other day that seems to be particularly so - C. Shottianum. There is only one guy whose even posted about them (vlad here on the forum I forget his screen name). The seeds are available from germplasm banks...

C. Galopagoense is rare as well, but not quite so rare as the shottianum (Shoty anum?)

Nice pic Potawie, there's an explosion of colour in that 5 colour. And Adam, that hot salt sounds like a delicious idea, I'm gonna have too many chillies to know what to do with soon so I'll be giving that a go for sure. And js, thanks for the info mate, I will be looking into it more thoroughly later on today, I haven't got time now. I'll be back on the forum this evening after the labours of the day are completed, with an ice cold beer in my hands and cigarette pressed hard to my lips :dance: !!!

Back