• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Rare Chilli Varieties

I do not know that the black pearl was actually attracting the predatory wasps. The guy told me that they did many controlled releases of different beneficial insects throughout the year. I vaguely remember seeing a small packet hanging off the black pearl plants, I am fairly sure that was an egg card like you can buy from many of the vendors that sell beneficials. I will try to look up his email address and see if I can find out the specifics of the black pearl/wasp relationship.

Eating wise-the Yellow 7 pot, and most of the other 7's are really high on the flavor ratings.Rare is a matter interpretation....you won't find them in a store unless your in Trinidad. Seeds are avail...Hippy Seed Co,Junglerain ,Pepperlover,The Old Barn Nursery all have great 7 pot seeds.

I think wild types are the only varieties I'd qualify as genuinely difficult to find at times. Some vendors sell a few, but there are many more you'll only be able to find through other members, seed banks, plant societies, etc. Most are grown for their novelty or beauty rather than production value.

I have a couple c. baccatum "Mini Mini" plants going (can't for the life of me remember where I got the seeds), and my C. eximium C01225 seems to be hanging in there. I have a very late start c. chacoense that probably won't do much... next year I think I'll dive into trying more wild varieties.

I think wild types are the only varieties I'd qualify as genuinely difficult to find at times. Some vendors sell a few, but there are many more you'll only be able to find through other members, seed banks, plant societies, etc. Most are grown for their novelty or beauty rather than production value.

I have a couple c. baccatum "Mini Mini" plants going (can't for the life of me remember where I got the seeds), and my C. eximium C01225 seems to be hanging in there. I have a very late start c. chacoense that probably won't do much... next year I think I'll dive into trying more wild varieties.
Thats a good point. I was looking at the mini mini on google, if its the same plant as I was looking at, it had beautiful white and yellow flowers and looked pretty cool. The C01225 sounds like a cyborg rather than a pepper (the Capsinator ;)), but I couldn't find too much about it online. I'll do some more research on wild varieties, see what I come up with.

Cheers Sync

Haha, a lot of varieties only have identifier numbers like that... and no, I didn't find much info about the C01225 online either but I got it through a trade and figured I'd give it a shot.

The Mini Mini makes for an attractive shrub... as with all wilds though, they're best if you plan on keeping them alive for several seasons, as they tend to be a bit slower maturing than cultivated peppers. The flowers on the Mini Mini have that nice baccatum form, the peppers are indeed tiny (elongate, about a centimeter ripening to red-orange), and the stems quickly turn dark in the sunlight. Here's mine at the moment:

IMGP3508.jpg

IMGP3235.jpg

If you want any seeds for the varieties I have listed on my profile, just let me know later in the season.

Great pics sync, especially the close up of the flower. I'm still quite new to growing so I've only had experience with pure white flowers but those are really attractive, and thanks for the seed offer, I must confess I was having a cheeky look on your profile and saw a few interesting looking varieties.

There are some nice looking varieties that i am trying this season. But it's the first time i grow these. And some great looking ones that i want to try. Maybe you like their look as much as i do:

CGN 21500
Bode Roxa
Pimenta da Neyde
Cheiro Roxa
PI 441620

Good luck, whatever you grow!

Eh thanks man, the CGN 21500 and the PI 441620 looked really cool, especially the latter one, it had such a beautiful peachy colour. I'm not gonna say what the Cheiro Roxa reminds me off, it would give away the fact that I have freakishly misshapen genitalia and that would be quite uncouth of me (type it in to google and have a look at the 4th picture :shh: ).

They were some great suggestions mate, I'm especially interested in the first and last ones, will try to uncover a bit more about them

I didn't care for the black pearl for eating either. They're really bland and seedy with a very ornamental taste. Kind of like the thai hot ornamentals they sell at Lowe's. The Pimenta de Neyde surprisingly has a pretty decent flavor though.

That's a bummer, but good to know. I think I'll still grow at least one black pearl though ,nxt year, as there's no denying how cool it looks

How about 'Little Blue?' i grew it last year and I had never seen anything like it before (I mean blue leaves?). There seems to be limited info on it. Google it and you'll find out what it looks like.

When I think of "rare" peppers, ornamentals come to mind. The popular super hot peppers are just about everywhere because let's face it, heat is cool. Everyone wants to grow painfully hot peppers.

Check out:

Purple Tiger
Condors Beak
Bolivian Rainbow
Black Pearl

None of them are terribly hot, but they all look great in your garden/home and will give you enough heat to spice up most dishes to a good level.
I can tell you Bolivian Rainbow peppers are the shiznit for sure!!!! It is one of my fav peppers with bangin flavor! Not to mention it looks cool as hell. It has purple flowers and purple stems, and changes 5 colors as the pepper matures. Purple, white, yellow, orange, red when fully ripe. Give that one a go for real!

How about 'Little Blue?' i grew it last year and I had never seen anything like it before (I mean blue leaves?). There seems to be limited info on it. Google it and you'll find out what it looks like.

The only pictures I found showed green leaves and purple fruits..?

They're nice bright fruits aren't they, almost look like vivid purple cherries. The leaves look very interesting, they've got a sort of teal colour to them. This one might go on the list, did the chillies taste good as well adam?

I can tell you Bolivian Rainbow peppers are the shiznit for sure!!!! It is one of my fav peppers with bangin flavor! Not to mention it looks cool as hell. It has purple flowers and purple stems, and changes 5 colors as the pepper matures. Purple, white, yellow, orange, red when fully ripe. Give that one a go for real!
I like the idea of having loads of different coloured chillies all at different stages of ripeness on the one plant

Back