Real Ale...WTF?

OK, their choice of names - "Real Ale Brewing Company" - kinda sucks.

But last night, I saw a "sampler pack" from this Blanco, Texas-based microbrewery(?) at the local store, and decided to give 'em a try.

First up was something called "Full Moon Pale Rye Ale". I was rather pleasantly surprised by the taste - great flavor, somewhat reminiscent of a less harsh Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, just not quite as in-your-face "hoppy".

Next up was their "Brewhouse Brown Ale" - surprisingly full-bodied taste, not quite as impressive as say, a Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale, but still quite enjoyable, especially compared to the typical store-bought microbrews.

Last up was their "Rio Blanco Pale Ale", highlighted with "Czech Saaz hops", a more light-hearted ale, and also a quite enjoyable drink.

I also noticed while examining the label on one of the bottles, that in order to insure optimum flavor, these were all unpasteurized and unfiltered, so keep 'em cold, and drink 'em quick!

This was not a problem, as due more to their great taste than any desire to indulge, most of the bottles did not make it past last night! ;)

Holding even one of the lighter ales up to the light, I also noted the cloudy, "stuff floating in it" appearance that exemplifies a true fine-quality ale like Samuel Smith's, compared to the mass-produced, watered-down swill that typically passes for beer here in the US.

Due to it's unpasteurized status and corresponding short shelf life (the "expiry date" was less than 60 days from when I bought it!), I'm not sure that this is available outside of the great state of Texas. But if you happen across some, I would definitely recommend you give it a try!

UPDATE - Just read that the last one I tried (Rio Blanco Pale Ale) won a Gold Medal at the 2010 Great American Beer Festival! :cool: I see they also have a tasting room open on Fridays (although currently closed for the holidays) - perhaps a future road trip is in order after the New Year? :beer:

there are a lot, and I mean a lot of beers that are unpasteurized and unfiltered, but that doesnt mean that they have a significantly reduced shelf-life because of in, in fact its usually the exact opposite due to the yeast continuing to change and work on the beer once it is bottled, hence "bottle conditioned" beers

Real Ale is arguably (and not just by me) the finest brewery in the state of Texas.

Your sampler gave you a nice sneak peek. Next time you're at the store, pick up a sixer of Fireman's #4. Then see if you can find some of their ESB on tap somewhere.

They very rarely do a bad brew.

Other breweries in Texas worth drinking from:

Southern Star (haven't had a bad can from them yet)
St. Arnold's
512 (especially the Pecan Porter)
Independence (steer clear of everything except the Convict Hill Oatmeal Stout, IMO, though)
Live Oak (on tap only - best Hefe you'll find outside of Germany, IMO)

I wouldn't be too concerned about unpasteurized beers as Wheebz said, many if not the majority of microbrews are that way. I've had the Rio Blanco before, it's not bad, but nothing I'd seek out. I will have to see if I can find some of the other stuff some day.

I wouldn't be too concerned about unpasteurized beers as Wheebz said, many if not the majority of microbrews are that way. I've had the Rio Blanco before, it's not bad, but nothing I'd seek out. I will have to see if I can find some of the other stuff some day.

Try the rye. It totally rocks.

Back