• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Real Proof and Data on the HP22b(Carolina Reaper)

Well ppl wanted real proof and data on the HP22b -A strain aka Carolina Reaper, well Bart Meijer a chili blogger has published both the poster as well as a close up from the results of measurements in his blog. Winthrop University has been doing the testing on it.

bart-j-meijer-chillies.blogspots.com
Title: HP22B "Carolina Reaper" the Carolina Ripper?

Hope the info helps clear things up. Great blog as well. Thanks happy growing guys. :)

1.474 million(Avg.)

Some people may say what about it growing a different color. Well there is an answer to that too. One of the employee's made the mistake of not reading the seed bin label right and mixed a small amount of HP22B-Y in with the HP22B-A. So some lucky people will get a unreleased Yellow Reaper hybrid of Ed's. That variety is putting out two different phenotypes. One that's really superhot and a med. grade one. My luck I'll have all red and thats ok with me. :)

Glad to see NMSU getting in on the testing act.
This kind of testing is trivial to do, but needs (a) analytical chemistry experience and (b) $50k worth of equipment. The Chili Pepper Institute at NMSU has both in abundance.

well i have been folowing this and it is verry intrusting for sure, i read some were that the hp22 is a cross between a strain of red habanero and pakistani naga so it is perty bad ass taking somthing withthe hab 300.000 shu + the naga, 1000.000shu,,, insted of producing a pepper with 700.000shu Ed succefuly got 1.474 mill shu and i guess by reading the article people wanting something cool and new hyped it to death, in the begining I thought hp22 was cool as tits but after we heard all the hype with no hard data it was easy to beleve it was some sort of 7 pot primo with a lot of publicity,,,,Ed if you are reading this hats off to ya my man you created a beast :onfire: but hp22b sounds way cooler than the reaper tho,, hope this will settle it so we can hear about the next new hot thing coming out lol

My understanding is that Ed has other strains of HP22b that are much hotter than the A-strain we all have. This is purely anecdotal, although Ted Barrus has videos on YouTube eating a few of the other strains. Can you imagine if one of those strains averaged over 2 million SHU? Time will tell, I guess.

It´s interesting to read that a number of people here (I don´t know there relation to puckerbuttpeppercompany.com) write "Ed will, Ed is going to do, etc.)"
Isn´t Ed Currie member of THP ? and why is he not able to post what he is really going to do with his own words?

In cientific terms the published data in the blog are nothing new and would be refused from any cientific magazine with the comment: "no progress in current knowledge!"

I have about 40 plants growing (seeds bought from Ed Currie), first pods are set and in about 6 weeks we will see whats coming out.

Peter

In Scientific terms the published data in the blog are nothing new and would be refused from any scientific magazine with the comment: "no progress in current knowledge!"

Peter

As a trained professional scientist with a PhD, 6 years postdoctoral training 15+ years of experience, including reviewing manuscripts for all the top scientific journals and over 30 publications, I can state that actually, in scientific terms, the data are new. No-one had scientifically determined the capsaicin concentrations in The Carolina Reaper before, hence that is, by definition, new. It isn`t publishable in a scientific journal because measuring the concentrations of known compounds from known sources is both routine and extraordinarily dull, from a scientific point of view. It represents no scientific progress in the same way that no scientific journal would publish the production, by conventional techniques, of a new strain of chili, or tomato or lettuce or dog. The data were in a poster presentation by a grad student at a conference, i.e. very preliminary data and part of the grad-student learning process. Nobody would EVER submit that to be published. It does, however, provide initial capsaicin concentrations for The Carolina Reaper, which is why it of interest on THP.

That data was done two years ago and they have done alot more. Still doing tests as we chat.You can't make everybody happy. I give an inch people want a foot, you give a foot they want a yard. LOL :D (Shaking my head) Oh well.

I think,in general,the main reason people are questioning this specific pepper is because of the way it was hawked.

People don't like being called haters etc. because they questioned the sales hype etc.

They don't like being called names or being threatened with legal action by said vendor.
I think the sales tactics used have caused most of the stuff going on now.

But bad or good publicity keeps the hits coming in on google searches etc.
Any publicity is better than none...

There have been many "one trick ponies" out there that never got people stirred up as much as this pepper did.
People posted about them being unstable and moved on.

In this case,people who questioned this pepper were used to promote sales(like this one).
When their posts stopped serving the vendors purpose they were threatened with legal action if they posted any more negative opinions about the product or sales practices.

Piss people off,one way or another and it makes no difference as long as it keeps your product selling.
Getting people to hate or love the vendor keeps things going...Good guy verses bad guy...Hawker verses ed...

All that mattered/matters is the bank account in general.

The data or lack there of was ,in my opinion, released in a vague manor to promote sales.

Since ,in general,the majority of growers next season will get non isolated seeds next season in trade.

I expect there will be a new,hotter strain/cross next season.

If ed really had no idea about the promoters sales plan last time.
I'd think he'd be better off finding a less abrasive vendor to promote his next version.

I doubt ed will change though.
Why switch to another sales rep.
People who don't like the original promoter will by from ed.
Others who think that the original hawker is being picked on will still buy from him...

Looks like they made a LOT of $ on the first sales,why switch sales tactics?
Especially since they say there are a couple other crossed that are hotter and don't taste like battery acid.

If there was data collected YEARS AGO.
I guess it's only been released now because it was more profitable not to release it until the seeds were sold/on the market.
It might get people to buy pure seeds rather than trade non isolated seeds next season.

Releasing the data at the time of sales wasn't done in sales posts before.

Only generalities for sales purposes I think.

I saw posts about it being over 2mil and as low as 160 grand or so in different posts.

At first it was posted as "Blowing the doors off "everything else(right about when the Morouga was said to be 2mil.).
Now it is not much higher than some other stuff.

Sales rules in the end.

Back