misc Recipes - Mead

OG 1.070
SG 1.002 at racking
ABV 8.93

Taste was dry as the desert and pretty tart. Plenty of Granny Smith coming through and my untrained pallet can detect a trace of honey and ginger on the finish. Kind of like you get some flavor notes after you take a sip and swallow and then slowly exhale, that's when I get them.

Plan:

Il going to let it finish out and after it stops bubbling I'll probably give it an additional 2 weeks, then bottle. Thinking I might carbonate a couple, bottle a couple as is and back sweeten a couple to see how I like it best. Back sweeting will be done with additional apple juice concentrate and honey.

Well, it's been 3 months since Paladin was bottled. Pulled one out and chilled it down.

9FAFD83B-5F79-4D30-A564-B6C6F174EDF4_zpst56hnybs.jpg

54BB34CC-6344-4828-AD7E-DB76F034F3EC_zpsw0njfqxb.jpg

Still has that beautiful golden honey color. On the nose there are hints of Sherry and a touch of Raisin. Tasting, there's a creamyness to the mead its dry with over tones of fruit maybe peach and apricot. The oak has subdued quite a bit, hopefully it will a bit more.

Overall, it's still a bit too Oaky but overall I'm very pleased with how it's turning out.

I usually make cyser just because i love hard cider. Pretty soon i will be starting a 1 gallon test batch of white pyment. Its not easy finding a white grape juice that isn't loaded with sorbate or sulphites. I found some at Costco that has just a small amount of sulphites that should be fine. I did a small test ferment of just the juice and it fermented fine. Sulphites will dissipate to some extent but sorbate wont.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
I usually make cyser just because i love hard cider. Pretty soon i will be starting a 1 gallon test batch of white pyment. Its not easy finding a white grape juice that isn't loaded with sorbate or sulphites. I found some at Costco that has just a small amount of sulphites that should be fine. I did a small test ferment of just the juice and it fermented fine. Sulphites will dissipate to some extent but sorbate wont.
Nice, I enjoy cyser as well! I wouldn't recommend using any juice with preservatives in it though, based on personal experience. If you do it, make sure to make a very good yeast starter.

Racked the Cyser over onto the Sorbate and Potassium Metabisulfite this morning. Giving it 2 days to do its thing with the yeasties and then I'll back sweeten with some apple juice concentrate and honey. Then time to bottle. SG was at 1.000 and I'm thinking I'd like to take it back up to 1.012 to 1.018 but definitely not more than 1.022, which is what Woodchuck comes in at.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Nice, I enjoy cyser as well! I wouldn't recommend using any juice with preservatives in it though, based on personal experience. If you do it, make sure to make a very good yeast starter.

I would agree but finding white grape juice without at least sulphites added is nearly impossible (excluding specialty wine kit concentrates). The Welches white juice does ferment easily. All i added was FermaidK and let is set overnight. Re-hydrated some EC-1118, pitched the yeast and it took off like it always does. Fermented to dry as a bone in about a week. I didnt bother with taking a gravity reading after tasting it. I just wanted to make sure it would ferment. The guys on homebrewtalk's forum assured me it would because the amount of sulphites are so small.

Campden (potassium metabisulfite) is often added in small amounts to a must 24 hours prior to fermentation.

ShowMeDaSauce said:

I would agree but finding white grape juice without at least sulphites added is nearly impossible (excluding specialty wine kit concentrates). The Welches white juice does ferment easily. All i added was FermaidK and let is set overnight. Re-hydrated some EC-1118, pitched the yeast and it took off like it always does. Fermented to dry as a bone in about a week. I didnt bother with taking a gravity reading after tasting it. I just wanted to make sure it would ferment. The guys on homebrewtalk's forum assured me it would because the amount of sulphites are so small.

Campden (potassium metabisulfite) is often added in small amounts to a must 24 hours prior to fermentation.
Nice! EC-1118 is a beast. I only mentioned not using juice with preservatives, because I have used it before, and unless I use a huge yeast starter, the end result has an off flavor. I had always assumed it was because the yeast was trying to work too hard to ferment in a less than ideal must, do to the preservatives.

I've used cambden tabs plenty of times, they work well. I'm going to be making watermelon wine this Sunday with EC-1118. It is my go to for high gravity wines/meads.

Ive heard watermelon wine is one of the hardest. The juice spoils easily and should never be heated. Ive never personally tried making it.

I do have a blackberry, a black currant and a black mulberry aging atm. The black currant was from juice but the mulberry and blackberry are from my property.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Ive heard watermelon wine is one of the hardest. The juice spoils easily and should never be heated. Ive never personally tried making it.

I do have a blackberry, a black currant and a black mulberry aging atm. The black currant was from juice but the mulberry and blackberry are from my property.
Yep, melons spoil fast. You can't wait 24 hours for cambden tabs to sterilize before pitching the yeast. I'm pitching a huge starter right after I'm done juicing the watermelons. I'll throw in some yeast nutrient and energizer to help kick things off. I'm shooting for 6.5 gallons of must. It's a PITA to squeeze 6 watermelons through a cheesecloth by hand, but the end result is worth it.

RocketMan said:
Added 3 cans of Apple Juice concentrate and 2 pounds of raw unfiltered honey to the Cyser last night. It's pretty cloudy now. Going to give it a couple of weeks then cold crash it and bottle. I might bottle half and keg the other half and force carb it.
Yum, kegged/carbed cyser sounds really good.

Back