misc Recipes - Mead

Very nice!

So, you don't use any yeast nutrients in your meads? I've been spending a lot of time over on got mead.com and it seems like they use a lot of DAP and Fermaid K or Fermaid O in their meads. Is there a reason you don't use it or just personal preference?

RocketMan said:
Very nice!

So, you don't use any yeast nutrients in your meads? I've been spending a lot of time over on got mead.com and it seems like they use a lot of DAP and Fermaid K or Fermaid O in their meads. Is there a reason you don't use it or just personal preference?
Yes, I love to use nutrients in my meads, but I did this one as traditional as possible. Just, honey, water, and yeast. I also used no fining agents or flavoring agents whatsoever for this batch. I still had to use metabisulphite and sorbate to bottle, since I'm going to let it age for years. It's honestly really damn good. Very strong alcohol content, and just enough residual sugars for my taste. It's kind of like a honey cognac.

Citra Hopped Braggot.

6 lbs. Orange Blossom Honey
1 lb Caramel L40
3.3 lbs golden light LME
1 lb golden light DME
1 ounce Amarillo hops
4 ounces Citra Hops
2 ounces Cascade hops
3 teaspoons yeast nutrient
1 teaspoon yeast energizer
Safale US-05

OG 1.064
Target FG 1.018

I've been wanting to make a braggot for a long time, and wanted to make something that I could slam while planting my peppers out doors this April. My goal for this is to make a malty, hoppy, and carbonated braggot that will quench my thirst this Spring, but still remind me that I'm drinking mead. Also, I'm aiming for a low, roughly 6 percent ABV beverage, so I plan on bottling most of this in bombers.

Steep the Caramel 40 for 20 minutes at 170. Throw out the grains after 20 minutes then, begin boiling the 3.3 lbs golden light LME. Once boil has started, add 1 ounce of Amarillo hops. 30 min, add minutes add 1 ounce of cascade hops, and 1 lb of golden light DME. after 55 minutes add 1 ounce of cascade hops. At flame out add 2 ounces of citra hops for a 10 minute stand. Chill, then add to a carboy with pre aerated must of 6 lbs orange blossom honey, 3 teaspoons of yeast nutrient, and 1 teaspoon of yeast energizer. 6 gallons final volume.

Pitch yeast. After 2 weeks rack to secondary. Dry hop with 2 ounces of Citra hops.

Prime with orange blossom honey, bottle condition for 2 weeks to one month.

Attachments

• 20160221_001616.jpg
    20160221_001616.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot_2016-02-21-05-38-56.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-21-05-38-56.png
    518.3 KB · Views: 133
RocketMan said:
You could always enhance it by racking onto some dried Orange and Lemon peel. Maybe some Grapefruit mixed in too.
Thanks for the suggestion man, I may try that! A very thick krausen has developed on it, and my fementation room smells very nice from the c02 blowing out of the airlock.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Thanks for the suggestion man, I may try that! A very thick krausen has developed on it, and my fementation room smells very nice from the c02 blowing out of the airlock.

Next brew up for me is going to be Honey Lemon Basil SMaSH'd Saison. So that's where the thought came from. 

I can just imagine how that smells

grantmichaels said:
Nice! This a good article to show my wife when she gets on my case for drinking a whole bottle of mead in one session. It's healthy!
RocketMan said:

Next brew up for me is going to be Honey Lemon Basil SMaSH'd Saison. So that's where the thought came from. 

I can just imagine how that smells
I bet that is good combo. A honey lemon basil Saison sounds very refreshing!

Yeah, the Apple Pie mead was bad tasting the following morning ...

My day's and night's get contorted for a few days in a row from time to time when I decide to work overnight, and I found myself having a pre-bed sip of the prior evening's and was like fffuuuuu ...

Added the oak while I was at home for lunch. I'm going to check the taste at 1 week and see if it's where I want it. If it is I'll add the Potassium Sorbate and Potassium Metabisulfite and bottle, else I'll give it another week.

Did a little looking around on the web and found 2 pics I like so here are the labels that will adorn the bottles.

Paladin_zps3soyfzo8.png

Back