• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Recycled aluminum

millworkman said:
How does the controller float work?

It's just a small float valve that works on a similar principle as the one in your toilet and is connected to a garden hose. Water seeks its own level, so the level regulated in the bucket is the same level in all of the totes connected to it.

Nice setup SS. This might be the first hydro setup I actually understand:). What's the "fabric" in piccy #12 and where might one find the "small float valve"?

Grow experiment update. No problems thus far.
Tomatoes5-16-10.jpg

Tomatoes2_5-16-10.jpg

Howdy Josh. 2 each of Acker's West Virginia, Stump of the World, Cherokee Purple, Kentucky Beefsteak, Celebrity, Sungold, Tommy Toe and Chapman.

Very nice. I can't wait to see more pics. I believe you said you have been letting the reservoirs run out before they get filled back up. Has that been a pain to dial in? I wanted to try one of these myself but I was concerned that they might run too wet. I guess it all relies on a combination of the right medium and water regiment.

Josh said:
Very nice. I can't wait to see more pics. I believe you said you have been letting the reservoirs run out before they get filled back up. Has that been a pain to dial in? I wanted to try one of these myself but I was concerned that they might run too wet. I guess it all relies on a combination of the right medium and water regiment.

I'll see about getting some more pics this afternoon when the shade arrives. The water level remains constant (controlled by the float) and yes the moisture content has a lot to do with the medium mix. The pine bark fines/peat ratio governs the capillary action and I haven't put any mulch on top since I don't need to worry about conserving water or having to constantly water them and this keeps the surface fairly dry. About index finger depth it is moist not wet and we'll see how it goes as the plants get larger and require more water, but right now the float is constantly dribbling water into the bucket at the rate of a very slow leak.

millworkman said:
SS you should put a few peppers in just to see the difference between those and your containers.

I'm in the process of getting 8 more totes ready and plan to do a few of those with peppers, but I haven't decided which variety yet. Maybe a couple of yellow scorps, since I have a few late starts that I finally got to germinate a few weeks back.

Sun Gold will probably supply the first ripe ones.
Recy13.jpg

Difficult to see, but hopefully the others won't be too far behind with ripe fruit.
Recy14.jpg

Thanks guys, I'm beginning to like this automated system.

Got 8 more ready.
Recy15.jpg

This comparison test is for you MW. A pair of Scorpions and
Scorpion5-28-10.jpg

Two Brain Strains. (Thanks for all of the seeds Cappy)
BrainStrain5-28-10.jpg

Take one of each plus a Manzano Amarillo (sorry forgot the pic of the other pube in a #5 pot) and compare
at seasons end and see if these dudes like a constant moisture level.
ChiliTrio.jpg

Stump of the World
StumpoftheWorld.jpg

Kentucky Beefsteak fatties
KentuckyBeefSt.jpg

Celebrity
Celebrity.jpg

Cherokee Purple
CherokeePurple.jpg

Dunno how much longer I can hold out before my craving for some fried green tomatoes overwhelms me.

Back