Red flags of "newbie" seed scammers on THP

D3monic said:
Don't sell to or buy from KingChili he ripped me off for a box of pods and then months later tried to scam off someone else. I called him on it, he pretended like he didn't owe me anything so I pulled up the paypal records of nothing being received and the multiple payment reminders I sent him. 

He then promised to send payment, week later made up an excuse how  his gf spent  all his money, he was in jail, ect ect ect. Needless to say. Never recieved payment from him. 

What a shame! This is why I never send money through friends and family on paypal... Always make people invoice me because purchase protection is the only way to get your money back. 

Well, I've been here just about a year, but I still feel like a "newbie" just b/c, relatively speaking, i don't know shit and i don't have as much to contribute, wisdom-wise (or seed-wise) as many of the members here, BUT I wanted to say that this site is so full of generous ppl who hooked me up with seeds, advice, low-level psychotherapy, etc from day one. The idea that ppl would come on here just to scam seeds is frigging crazy, in my opinion. Seeds are cheeeeep. Supercheap. The other things that this forum offers, in terms of information, support, and networking? All that shit is FREE, but it's far more valuable than seeds.... and, i imagine, it's gotta suck to give all that up in exchange for a few baggies of scammed chile seeds.

I just want to go on record saying THANKS to everyone who reached out and helped me, whether it was via seeds, good dealz on pods, incredible (and much-needed) advice, and just the opportunity to have conversations about chile peppers. Plus, the "Best Reggae" thread has been as much help to me as anything else I've ever encountered online; special shouts-out to @Guatamalan Insanity Pepper and @hogleg. Can't wait til i have more opportunity to give back. This site is incredible.

Another tip: Don't let a newbie or member you are unsure of handle a seed train. Report it and I will shut it down. They should not be trusted with handling everyone else's generosity, even if it is closed simply out of precaution.

It's unfortunate that some people take advantage of the kindness of the members here, but as most would be aware, it happens all too often.

I myself was promised items in trades on several occasions, not only seeds, but much more than that, they promise the world, and never deliver. It's changed my outlook on people who I trade with, and I have become more wary of trades now.

I'm all for helping new members, I've done it more times than I can remember. It just disappoints me when you do so out of the kindness of your heart, only to see that person disappear soon after, and not follow through on what they promise.

PS: If I owe anyone here anything, please let me know, my memory isn't........... :think: .........what was I saying?

SR.

D3monic said:
but, to be fair. My very first interaction on this forum  was a pm to ajijoe to buy seeds  because I found  him  in a google search looking for wild brazil. 
Funny, me too! I also found ajijoe in my searches and bought seeds from him!

Shorerider said:

PS: If I owe anyone here anything, please let me know, my memory isn't........... :think: .........what was I saying?
I subscribe here!
I know I owe seeds to Comptine, she was so kind to order some seeds in Sweden for me, even payed for, and asked no money from me. I sent her a list of my seeds and waiting her to pick some in return of her favor, but it looks she forgot to pm me...

I remember the time when I was a newbie and so many kind THP people sent seeds to me. Too bad now a topic like this is necessary...

Shorerider said:
Hey Boss, I was a member of another forum that had an iTrader rating system similar to fleabays feedback. It allows potential traders to get an understanding of what a members past trades were like.

Any possibility of getting something like that here?

This is a great idea; i belong to other forums with the same kinda deal in place, and it's a huge help, for sure.

The problem is, some unscrupulous douchelords will register under a new name whenever their rep catches up to them.  Admins can typically weed them out via the IP address and whatnot, but I'm not too clear on just how much of a hassle that is.  I know that Wikipedia will automatically block all edits from an IP address that has been flagged too many times; i don't know if it's feasible to do such a thing on a forum like this.

It's kinda tragically pathetic that ppl would even have to consider stuff like this.

Newbie here, glad to be able to access this wealth of information. I found this forum a few months ago while I was looking to find some ghost or reaper plants. I didn't have time to start seeds. I contacted midwestchiliheads but he didn't have any plants for sale at that time. I stuck around and read a few glogs, now I'm hooked. I need to post some pics of my plants I have now maybe then you guys will accept me lol.

Walchit said:
Newbie here, glad to be able to access this wealth of information. I found this forum a few months ago while I was looking to find some ghost or reaper plants. I didn't have time to start seeds. I contacted midwestchiliheads but he didn't have any plants for sale at that time. I stuck around and read a few glogs, now I'm hooked. I need to post some pics of my plants I have now maybe then you guys will accept me lol.
Relax, dude....stop worrying so much

Back