• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Red Rocoto Jelly

Courtesy of Mr. John Lackey:

Red Rocotos
Sugar
AC Vinegar
Lemon Juice
Liquid Pectin

DSC_0432.JPG

Bringing back a great thread.  I want to try to make some jellies this year but my rocotos aren't going to provide enough for me to use them if any ripen at all. Do you think the rocoto paste like Inca Foods Aji rocoto molido would work?

Malarky said:
Goya sells 16oz packs of frozen red rocotos.
I'd try to find those at a local store if you can.
not sure how paste would work, but I'd to see your results.
goya-aji-rocoto-congelado.jpg
Hey Malarky!  Thanks for the info!  I finally made it down to Detroit for a Lions game :cry:  and stopped at a market in Mexicantown and they had the frozen rocotos.  Now for a shot at rocoto jelly :dance:

m1hagen said:
Hey Malarky!  Thanks for the info!  I finally made it down to Detroit for a Lions game :cry:  and stopped at a market in Mexicantown and they had the frozen rocotos.  Now for a shot at rocoto jelly :dance:

two weeks is a long time to wait for a jelly set....How'd your spread turn out?

So far, life has been in the way of anything setting.  Hoping to make a batch this weekend and try it out.  Can't decide if I want to do a straight rocoto jelly or add some fruit for the first batch.

Ok, finally got to make some jelly.  Red rocoto/tart cherry sugar free jelly.  Came out really good.  Does have a very "earthy" smell that I noticed when I opened the rocotos.  It's not bad, just never noticed it before. Is that normal for rocotos?

Attachments

• IMG_3769.jpg
    IMG_3769.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3770.jpg
    IMG_3770.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 59
Back