• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Red Savina or Orange Hab.

I Bought a Red Savina Plant from Home Depot and Its Giving me This Peppers, they are Hotter than the Average Orange Habanero, itsOrange but has the Savina Look, Any Idea if it may be a Cross?

Was this a Bonnie plant by any chance? Looks very similar to peppers I've been getting off a Bonnie plant that was labelled as Habanero.

ah man, guess you didn't see my post on mislabeling peppers at home depot. where i found superchile labeled as caribbean reds. not 1 or 2 but the entire lot, a whole skid!

let me help you, that is an orange hab and not a red savina. if you presented a pic of something similar to a caribbean red or red hab rojo, then i would think you were onto something. but that is a orange hab. feel free to send me $4.00 and i will purchase GNS red savina and grow them out for you.

moral of the story.... don't buy any peppers from home depot as their gardening department lives in a different world.

enjoy your orange habs!

It's common for varieties to get mixed up.  A few years ago I bought about 6 jalapeno plants from 3 different places (Lowes and 2 local nurseries).  Every one turned out to be an anaheim.  I had no jalapenos that year.  The Lowes was Bonnie.

in addition, I believe Red Savinas are a registered strain and not just anyone can grow them.  not sure if Home Depot would pay those registration  fees?

Aside from that, the pod shape could be a RShab.  shapes vary greatly even on the same plant.  the color is not red enough, unless it was picked under-ripe and had  a bit to go.

i can get red savina(tm) seed packages locally that are either directly from GNS Spices or an authorized distribution channel. i can't remember, i know i read the seed package and decided at the time not to purchase them, knowing it would be a one time grow(unless i purchased a whole lot of packages). at the time i made the decision that i knew the seeds from the fruit would revert back to their original form(most likely caribbean red) and since i already grow c/r what would be the point for 1 season.

so, if you are a purist and insist on having red savina and a member/amazon/ebay is offering seed, make sure the seeds are from GNS or an authorized dealer. the seeds have to be originals, not seed grown out from pods because you will get a caribbean red or red habanero and will be disappointed again. you never know, there could be someone out there that was in a nursery that was going out of business and had (tm) seed packages at clearance prices and purchased an entire skid, could happen! could.

but i could see a large greenhouse that supplies the big chain stores and nurseries, purchasing the rights to grow red savina, they just have to get their labeling and packaging correct.

Thanks Guys, Man this sucks cuz I Put My Only Huge Pot dedicated to this Pepper Plant, Now I have Lots of Orange Habs. in the Plant and In My Fridge from the Super Market, well I Wish I can Get 100% Red Savinas and I Wish I Could but Its Too Late in the Season, Luckly I have some Naga Morich Coming up.

Sorry about your misfortune.  I guess I am not growing red savina either as I saved seed from my pods from last year.  Guess I need to look into this plant more...bummer.

Back