• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

redeye's NEW GROW !!! 6/28/09

redeyes.. it feels like a big step, ive read some hydro books and lots of magazines but there seems its so many things to think about, how to keep the nutrient tank at the right temp, how often to check EC and pH, changing nutrient tank... so ive been delaying the hydro project since christmas now, but when ive harvested my last peppers this season im going to start, sometime later this autumn. i havnt bought a EC meter, but i already have a pH meter. Im trying to decide if i should buy a EC/PH meter 2-in-1 or if i should buy the EC truncheon, which seems very easy to use. Ive checked with the hydro company i got my ph meter from,. it seems i need 2 buffers, some cleaning fluid, always keeping the meter moist.. damn... all this stuff made me delay the hydro grow. hehe. maybe you could give me some advice. for example, what chili varietes amongst those you know, are the easiest to grow in a hydro setup like mine? i dont care what sort, or taste, i just want to start with the easiest, and that it suits a 4pot dripfeed system with 6,5L pots packed close to each other. hydro nutrients? i want to keep it as simple as possible, but still have adequate nutrients so i dont get nutrient def/overfert. problems cause of oversimplifying.

lavish said:
redeyes.. it feels like a big step, ive read some hydro books and lots of magazines but there seems its so many things to think about, how to keep the nutrient tank at the right temp, how often to check EC and pH, changing nutrient tank... so ive been delaying the hydro project since christmas now, but when ive harvested my last peppers this season im going to start, sometime later this autumn. i havnt bought a EC meter, but i already have a pH meter. Im trying to decide if i should buy a EC/PH meter 2-in-1 or if i should buy the EC truncheon, which seems very easy to use. Ive checked with the hydro company i got my ph meter from,. it seems i need 2 buffers, some cleaning fluid, always keeping the meter moist.. damn... all this stuff made me delay the hydro grow. hehe. maybe you could give me some advice. for example, what chili varietes amongst those you know, are the easiest to grow in a hydro setup like mine? i dont care what sort, or taste, i just want to start with the easiest, and that it suits a 4pot dripfeed system with 6,5L pots packed close to each other. hydro nutrients? i want to keep it as simple as possible, but still have adequate nutrients so i dont get nutrient def/overfert. problems cause of oversimplifying.

right on about keeping it simple!!!! i also did tons of reading before i even got my setup.... but man u got it there .. do you have a place picked out for your setup ???? what kind of light do you have?? you said you have GH nutes right?? is cooling going to be a prob for your area that you picked out??? i have not done that many pepper plants in hydro but i have done other veggies and stuff .... thats hard to say but maybe jal. ,orange hab came out real nice before... i think the key for what you got is to keep them small... do you have a pic of your setup???

you dont need to worry about EC right now... u got the PH right thats all u need right now how many gallons is your REZ ????

ok well i am back again this could be week 3-4 i for got* any ways here 2 pics .. they have grown alot i have not done much with them... i just dump out my rez for the first time also ... well they seem to be liking it...

IMG00047-20090817-15471.jpg

IMG00046-20090817-14531.jpg

i like the size containers you started them in as well. no need for transfering for quite some time. That was a quick take off too.

Looking good redeyes, glad to see you got everything set up again. Which system do you like better, the drip one you were using last time or the flood and drain? Those things are really starting to take off, if this goes anything like last time you'll have peppers in a month :lol:

redeyes said:
right on about keeping it simple!!!! i also did tons of reading before i even got my setup.... but man u got it there .. do you have a place picked out for your setup ???? what kind of light do you have?? you said you have GH nutes right?? is cooling going to be a prob for your area that you picked out??? i have not done that many pepper plants in hydro but i have done other veggies and stuff .... thats hard to say but maybe jal. ,orange hab came out real nice before... i think the key for what you got is to keep them small... do you have a pic of your setup???

you dont need to worry about EC right now... u got the PH right thats all u need right now how many gallons is your REZ ????

Ive just bought some new stuff for the project. Im going to start using a defender reflector (adjustawing copy) with a heat/light-spreader. Ive had lots of problems with the plants that ive kept in the growtent. My windowsill plants have done much better. Ive gotten loads of flowers, and ive tried keeping the temp under control, hand pollinating, raising the lamp higher, using 2 fans, but no luck. All my plants start doing good when i take them out of the tent... I got a 0,8*0,8*1,6m tent, 250W MH/HPS alt. a 200W blue CFL. The tank is 45L, 4*6,5L pots. I just bought a EC tester, and some buffers etc. Im going to use leca/hydroton, starting the seeds in rockwool cubes. I got a little fan, oscillating fan, and a inline fan for sucking air out if i want to close the tent. Ive kept the tent open during my last growop to prevent high temps. I also got a humidifier that i use when i feel theres a need. I havnt used GH nutes, those are all-purpose nutes, ive used chili focus for my soil grown plants. im going to buy GH grow + micro for the hydro. It will be exciting to see how my hydro project goes, got any ideas, thoughts on my setup?

You're using the GH grow and the micro but skipping the bud formula? I don't know if you can just eliminate one of the 3 parts since all are needed in different ratios

POTAWIE said:
You're using the GH grow and the micro but skipping the bud formula? I don't know if you can just eliminate one of the 3 parts since all are needed in different ratios

right on man... you have to use all 3 parts...

lavish said:
Ive just bought some new stuff for the project. Im going to start using a defender reflector (adjustawing copy) with a heat/light-spreader. Ive had lots of problems with the plants that ive kept in the growtent. My windowsill plants have done much better. Ive gotten loads of flowers, and ive tried keeping the temp under control, hand pollinating, raising the lamp higher, using 2 fans, but no luck. All my plants start doing good when i take them out of the tent... I got a 0,8*0,8*1,6m tent, 250W MH/HPS alt. a 200W blue CFL. The tank is 45L, 4*6,5L pots. I just bought a EC tester, and some buffers etc. Im going to use leca/hydroton, starting the seeds in rockwool cubes. I got a little fan, oscillating fan, and a inline fan for sucking air out if i want to close the tent. Ive kept the tent open during my last growop to prevent high temps. I also got a humidifier that i use when i feel theres a need. I havnt used GH nutes, those are all-purpose nutes, ive used chili focus for my soil grown plants. im going to buy GH grow + micro for the hydro. It will be exciting to see how my hydro project goes, got any ideas, thoughts on my setup?

well what is your temps in there??? whats the hotest its been in there???? that does have alot to do with it ... my first thought is get a enclosed hood so u can control your temps better... also how close is your light from the tops??? how long is your light on for ?? how many CFM is your inline fan??? got pics??? well get your self all 3 part GH and we can get you going fast... things will work out.. just keep going!!!

POTAWIE said:

Ooops, i meant flora mato. flora micro + flora mato. It seems US hydro stores dont carry the flora mato, only the tri-part nutrients from GH.

redeyes said:

well what is your temps in there??? whats the hotest its been in there???? that does have alot to do with it ... my first thought is get a enclosed hood so u can control your temps better... also how close is your light from the tops??? how long is your light on for ?? how many CFM is your inline fan??? got pics??? well get your self all 3 part GH and we can get you going fast... things will work out.. just keep going!!!

The temp differs a lot, now when i had the tent open, its around 22c night and 27c during the day. Ive just the adjustawing "copy", ive seen a lot of recommendations on that one so it felt right. The inline fan vents 145 - 187m3 /hour. I adjust the height of the lamp a lot, it depends how my hand feels under the bulb, sometimes i think its safe closer and sometimes im a bit vorried. ive seen recommendations saying 15cm from bulb, some sites say 30 cm (with a 250W HID). I really dont know, its my luck that the adjustawing is said to help diffuse the height a lot. My light is on for 18h. I would really like to put together a setup that would do fine in a closed tent, a controlled environment, but im not sure, i used the fan before and even during the winter the temp kept rising (28c-29c).

redeyes said:

I'm far from an expert, but in my experience you don't always have to use both grow and bloom with GH flora. You always have to use micro. I usually skip grow and just use micro in a 1:2 ratio w/ bloom. Here's what I mix up for my peppers:

1 gallons RO water
5ml micro
10ml bloom
no pH up or down
sometime a pinch of epsom salts

I rarely check the pH anymore since I got an RO water filter and my pH meter broke. My peppers are doing fine, but I would recommend checking pH and EC regularly until things get established to avoid catastrophe.

ZanderSpice said:
I'm far from an expert, but in my experience you don't always have to use both grow and bloom with GH flora. You always have to use micro. I usually skip grow and just use micro in a 1:2 ratio w/ bloom. Here's what I mix up for my peppers:

1 gallons RO water
5ml micro
10ml bloom
no pH up or down
sometime a pinch of epsom salts

I rarely check the pH anymore since I got an RO water filter and my pH meter broke. My peppers are doing fine, but I would recommend checking pH and EC regularly until things get established to avoid catastrophe.

well your kinda right you dont use grow every time on GH feed chart ... but i still would use it as needed i always use what the chart says ... they made that chart for a base line to start with...

ok here are a few more pics ... you can see that they have grown alot ... also got a pic of my TDS and PH meter... i added 15mil of PH down to get that there, it was at 6.4.... and there is a shot of all my nutes i use for them... well there a few more not in the pic but its almost all....

IMG00053-20090823-14311.jpg

IMG00055-20090823-1432.jpg

IMG00059-20090823-1506.jpg

IMG00058-20090823-1505.jpg

here is a shot of my 1 "BUD" it is on the orange hab.. i also found a few on the other hab... but this 1 was bigger than all of them ...
IMG00060-20090827-1208.jpg

well i am back again to show you guys how tall it is and you can see more buds on the same plant a few days later ... i just took these pics today..

IMG00061-20090828-1603.jpg

IMG00062-20090829-1518.jpg

IMG00063-20090830-1601.jpg

IMG00064-20090830-16091.jpg

Looking very nice. What type of medium are you using? (it looks like soil :rolleyes:) And how often are you flooding the table?

I wish I had the space for a turbogarden but right now I'm only working with a single 5gal DWC bucket in a ~2'x2' space. I'm searching for something to fit in my space to make a diy ebb&flow.

Back