• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Remote thermometer

How many of you use one? I'm looking for one that I can put in my greenhouse that will be about 50 feet or so from my back window. It needs to be able to record overnight low temps and if it can alert me if the temps drop below a defined level. It can also be battery or run off 120 volt.

Mike

My dad has always had one, has had like 3 different ones actually. And all were fairly cheap and lasted quiet awhile. You can get ones that monitor temp & humidity and will log the high/low temp for around 20 bucks.

I have three actually. The best one's I've found are made by Lacrosse Industries. The one that is my favorite is also sold by The Weather Channel. The remote sensor actually has a humidity read out.

wordwiz said:
How many of you use one? I'm looking for one that I can put in my greenhouse that will be about 50 feet or so from my back window. It needs to be able to record overnight low temps and if it can alert me if the temps drop below a defined level. It can also be battery or run off 120 volt.

Mike

This one has worked flawlessly for me, has 2 sensors, hi and low alarms, and max min recording. I can't tell you how much easier my life became after buying it. Best bang for the buck I could find: $30 on eBay w/free shipping.

http://www.ambientweather.com/ch00985.html

See item #120357222231 on eBay

Don't buy the "National geographics" ones that are sold at Walmart. I got one and the remote sensor is a peice of junk, although the clock and indoor temp work fine

caroltlw said:
This one has worked flawlessly for me, has 2 sensors, hi and low alarms, and max min recording. I can't tell you how much easier my life became after buying it. Best bang for the buck I could find: $30 on eBay w/free shipping.

http://www.ambientweather.com/ch00985.html

See item #120357222231 on eBay

How far will the radio waves travel? My greenhouse will be about 50 feet from the back of the house.

Mike

wordwiz said:
How far will the radio waves travel? My greenhouse will be about 50 feet from the back of the house.

Mike

I have it working at 30' and it's designed to transmit through a fridge door. I'd say there's a good chance it will work for you if you have a line-of-sight from the greenhouse to a window and hang it in the window.

caroltlw said:
I have it working at 30' and it's designed to transmit through a fridge door. I'd say there's a good chance it will work for you if you have a line-of-sight from the greenhouse to a window and hang it in the window.

Hang the remote sensor in the window or the receptor? Hanging the sensor would be an exercise in futility - the temps coming through the plastic and registering would be much higher than the ambient temps in the GH, at least during daytime. And at nights, they would likely be much lower.

Mike

The receptor.

I just moved one of my sensors out to about 70 ft and it's still picking up with a LOS.
The spare sensor comes in handy for taking multiple readings or ambient temp or adding an alarm to the germination tray. I'm using it for its original purpose too - in the fridge - while the weather is good.

Carol...you are using the remote sensor in the fridge? Does it also tell you if the fridge light is still on when the door is closed? I need something like that..I stay up late every night worrying about it.

ddrsheden said:
Carol...you are using the remote sensor in the fridge? Does it also tell you if the fridge light is still on when the door is closed? I need something like that..I stay up late every night worrying about it.

hahahaha

ddrsheden said:
Does it also tell you if the fridge light is still on when the door is closed? I need something like that..I stay up late every night worrying about it.

You have to be quick, but if you pull the door open really quick you can find out. Sometimes I like to pull all the shelves out and climb in just to be sure.

being in the greenhouse business and in Canada I will say that I too have slept with 1 eye open when its minus 37c with wind!!

there are 2 main types of these remote type units
one is good for about 100 feet and the other 300 feet.
the 100 foot unit is about 20 bucks and may work for you but the 300 foot unit at about 40 to 50 bucks was the way to go for me.

it also has an alarm that willbeep when it hits a low end set temp so you know when your heat is out or a problem.

you can also get a house thermostat and a 12 volt adapter and a car alarn siren and make an alarm that will sound when it hits a set temp.

this way you can run simple phone wire as far as you need.

Back