• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Removing ripe pods from plants

As I am grooming my overwintered plants and playing with some new fresh pods I got to thinking as I see the stubby stems from old pods past.

Is there a correct way to remove a pod?

Close to main branch maybe? Half way from stem to pod maybe? perhaps leaving the stem and snip at the pod?

Or perhaps there is no advantage one way or another other than the enjoyment of the fresh spicy fruit.

I usually do what the Toleman suggested. If I have a bunch to collect I'll break out the heavy duty kitchen shears and clip the stem about half way. Goes much faster.

I don't think it makes much difference.

I usually use a pair of diagonal cutters. Especially on small podded plants like Purple Tiger or White Bullet Hab. IMO it does less damage to the plant than accidentally breaking off a branch. Large pods seem to snap off easily, but cutters are quick.

exactly what bigt said...if the foliage of the plants can't stand pulling the peppers without breaking, use shears, scissors, clips, snips, whatever works...I know my super chili plants produce tons of pods and each one has to be snipped with a pair of scissors (I got a pair of surgical scissors I use)...if I don't snip them, I end up with unopened blooms and/or small peppers...

I always use scissors now for large harvests, too many acccidents in the past where I ripped off more than just a pod;)

Yep

I joined the SnipBrigade myself recently. Much easier to harvest several hundred pods, with the exception of some which, like Tabasco, are easily removed by hand when ripe. (Ripe Tabasco separate themselves from the stalk when pulled)

Back