• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Review of today's purchase from Pepperheads, NY

Today at Pepperheads i bought CaJohn's Select Fatali Puree, CaJohn's 10, Defcon 2, and 2 dried bhut jolokia peppers. Here are my thoughts of each as i test them out.

I tried the Fatali first by itself to get the feel of a pepper i've never tried before. What a fantastic flavor this has! Sweet and almost a little sour with a thorough immediate burn that has a nice even fade with little pain or discomfort. This would eventually make it's way to the grilled chicken sandwich i had for dinner where it paired perfectly. :hell:

After trying the Fatali, i went right for the 10. While this isn't a true naga jolokia sauce IMO as it only has powdered naga, it is no wimp sauce. The aroma was fantastic and smells awesomely good. The mustard was a nice touch and actually assisted the multiple pepper flavors. It had the bite of the orange hab and the sting of the red savina, and the even burn of the fatali. The black pepper was even noticeable now that i look back on it. I ate this sauce with snow crab legs and it was an excellent accompaniment to the salty sweet crabmeat. I also had some on the other half of my chicken sammich and it was equally delicious. :mouthonfire:

All in all i was happy with both of these sauces and see them going fast, especially the Fatali puree.

Stay tuned for my tasting of Defcon and however i decide to use the dried bhuts. I'm thinking i might rehydrate them for use in my homemade hot sauce.

Today was a good day for a chilinerd. :onfire:

Oh also, while i was at Pepperheads, i tried their own brand of sauce's Horrific variety. I tried it with a corn chip. It was most definitely HOT and heavy on the extract flavor right off the bat. It had a slow burn that intensfied and stuck with me for a very long time after. In all honesty, it didn't have alot of good flavor. It was basically just pure heat and some vinegar. I can't say i enjoyed it.

However, this shouldnt take away from the shop. The girl working there was awesome and helped me out with my purchases beautifully.

fineexampl said:
Today at Pepperheads i bought CaJohn's Select Fatali Puree, CaJohn's 10, Defcon 2, and 2 dried bhut jolokia peppers. Here are my thoughts of each as i test them out.

I tried the Fatali first by itself to get the feel of a pepper i've never tried before. What a fantastic flavor this has! Sweet and almost a little sour with a thorough immediate burn that has a nice even fade with little pain or discomfort. This would eventually make it's way to the grilled chicken sandwich i had for dinner where it paired perfectly. :hell:

After trying the Fatali, i went right for the 10. While this isn't a true naga jolokia sauce IMO as it only has powdered naga, it is no wimp sauce. The aroma was fantastic and smells awesomely good. The mustard was a nice touch and actually assisted the multiple pepper flavors. It had the bite of the orange hab and the sting of the red savina, and the even burn of the fatali. The black pepper was even noticeable now that i look back on it. I ate this sauce with snow crab legs and it was an excellent accompaniment to the salty sweet crabmeat. I also had some on the other half of my chicken sammich and it was equally delicious. :mouthonfire:

All in all i was happy with both of these sauces and see them going fast, especially the Fatali puree.

Stay tuned for my tasting of Defcon and however i decide to use the dried bhuts. I'm thinking i might rehydrate them for use in my homemade hot sauce.

Today was a good day for a chilinerd. :onfire:

Fineexampl, you will find that the "10" line is extremely good as well. The 10 line has mustard, bbq sauce, wing sauce, salsa to name my favorites. They are all equally hot and equally good. I finished off my 10 bbq the other day with some sliced links of sausage and it so kicked arse.

You are going to love the Defcon 2, and its not too hot that you can share it with others, but that Defcon Condition 1, will really make you sweat, and how.

Buddah said:
Fineexampl, you will find that the "10" line is extremely good as well. The 10 line has mustard, bbq sauce, wing sauce, salsa to name my favorites. They are all equally hot and equally good. I finished off my 10 bbq the other day with some sliced links of sausage and it so kicked arse.

You are going to love the Defcon 2, and its not too hot that you can share it with others, but that Defcon Condition 1, will really make you sweat, and how.
That's some good news man. I think i got some quality product and a welcome break from my usual round of Blair's products (since they are easier to come by than any other varieties, Tabasco and Frank's excluded.

fineexampl said:
That's some good news man. I think i got some quality product and a welcome break from my usual round of Blair's products (since they are easier to come by than any other varieties, Tabasco and Frank's excluded.

I went through the discovery phase last year, and boy was it fun. In fact the ride hasn't stopped.

Okay so i just ate a big mouthful of 10 on a Marshmallow Peep. Than i had to answer some questions for my employees. It was VERY hard to talk. 5min later and i still have heat, but i did have a large beverage to soften the blow so i could speak properly. My congestion has cleared up too. Aside from the residual heat, i can still taste the sauce. I'm loving it! The fatali is so vibrant in this sauce. I seriously like this sauce alot.

I'm so done with extracts from now on. If a pure sauce can be this hot, who needs extracts?

I'll try some 10 later on with an Oreo. My employees think it's fun to see me on fire. They get a kick out of it and if i can boost morale by eating hot sauce, so be it. ;)

fineexampl said:
I'm so done with extracts from now on. If a pure sauce can be this hot, who needs extracts?

;)

Don't forget, Defcon 1 has an extract in it. So although i agree for the most part, certain extracts do have their place.

Sickmont said:
Don't forget, Defcon 1 has an extract in it. So although i agree for the most part, certain extracts do have their place.
Extracts to enhance a flavor are fine, but my biggest problem with stuff like Jersey Death and sauces like it, is that the flavor is outshined by the heat.

I'm eating more 10 with my veggie burger now. I love it!

fineexampl said:
Extracts to enhance a flavor are fine, but my biggest problem with stuff like Jersey Death and sauces like it, is that the flavor is outshined by the heat.

I'm eating more 10 with my veggie burger now. I love it!

Defcon's extract isn't to enhance flavor. It's for the heat....it just happens to not have that nasty ass chemical aftertaste.

rainbowberry said:
I just assumed the main purpose of extracts was to enhance the heat, not flavour.
same here, but shouldn't stuff taste good? I dunno. i could flip on my opinion here on any given day depending on my mood. :lol:

fineexampl said:
Okay so i just ate a big mouthful of 10 on a Marshmallow Peep. Than i had to answer some questions for my employees. It was VERY hard to talk. 5min later and i still have heat, but i did have a large beverage to soften the blow so i could speak properly. My congestion has cleared up too. Aside from the residual heat, i can still taste the sauce. I'm loving it! The fatali is so vibrant in this sauce. I seriously like this sauce alot.

I'll try some 10 later on with an Oreo. My employees think it's fun to see me on fire. They get a kick out of it and if i can boost morale by eating hot sauce, so be it. ;)

I think we finally found a new "You know you're a chilehead when"
When you are putting hot sauce on a marshmallow peep... That is awesome! I don't know though Mark may have had that in there somewhere in his seemingly endless list.

Trying the fatali select puree now with some avocado. It needs salt. Other than that, it's not too bad. It's mad hot too. I think this stuff is better suited to use as an ingredient than as a hot sauce. Makes sense when you check the ingredients of fatali, vinegar, citric acid, ascorbic acid (vitamin c).

Back