• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Rice Seedlings

Not sure anyone really cares, but I found it different. I'm growing some Blue Bonnet rice as part of my project and sowed about 50 seeds on Feb. 25. This evening, I was transplanting some sorghum and had two cells left over and the rice looked big enough to try (~2"). I was surprised to find the tap root is about half-again as long as the part above the mix. Another surprise is that the rice kernel was still whole.

If things grow correctly, I could have stuffed peppers using only ingredients I grow this year!

Mike

Matt,

I'll try to get some tomorrow or Tuesday. The seedlings are growing quite nicely. I also just learned they can be planted 4" apart, which means I can grow quite a few plants in the area I have allocated for them.

Mike

Cool. I think there's more folks around here than you would think that care about how other stuff grows. Good luck wiyh it, and please keep us updated!

Here ya go. Transplanted 18 of these plants tonight.

riceseedling.jpg

Mike

Yeah i thought that they basically used a flood/drain setup, what do you use mike? I suppose different kind of rice could need a different growing method?

i Googled "How To Grow Rice" and here is what I got...
Rice is an unusual and fun plant to grow in your garden or on your porch. The secret to growing rice is that you have to recreate the flooded rice paddy for the rice to thrive in.

Grow Rice Step One: Collect all of your clean plastic buckets and empty plastic laundry soap buckets to work in. You do not want to use any container that has holes in the bottom that would let the water out.

Grow Rice Step Two: Buy some long-grain brown rice from the bulk bins at the grocery store or in a bag. Organically grown rice will reproduce better than some long-grain brown rice, but most kinds seem to have some grains that sprout. Your goal is to find brown long-grain rice that is as close to untouched by machines and chemicals as possible. White rice will not work because it has been processed. Or, you can buy a package of your favorite rice seed from a gardening supply outfit.

Grow Rice Step Three: Fill your buckets with about 6" of dirt or potting soil. Add water until it is about 2" above the soil level and toss a small handful of your store bought long-grain rice into the bucket; they will sink so that they are lying on top of the dirt under the water.

Grow Rice Step Four: Rice likes a warm climate, keep your bucket in a sunny area and move it if necessary to a warm place at night. Keep your water level at about 2 inches above the dirt until the rice is growing strong.

Grow Rice Step Five: When your plants are up to about 5-6 inches, increase your water level to about 4 inches deep. After that, let the water level lower in the bucket slowly over a period of time. You will want the plants just about dry of standing water by the time you are ready to harvest.

Grow Rice Step Six: Rice is mature somewhere in its fourth month if conditions are right. The stalks will change from green to gold in color when they are ready. To harvest, cut your stalks and let them dry in a warm place, wrapped in a newspaper for 2-3 weeks.

Grow Rice Step Seven: Roast your rice in a very low heat (under 200) for about an hour, and then remove the hulls by hand. You are now ready to cook with your own long-grain brown rice.

Matt50680 said:
i Googled "How To Grow Rice" and here is what I got...
Rice is an unusual and fun plant to grow in your garden or on your porch. The secret to growing rice is that you have to recreate the flooded rice paddy for the rice to thrive in.

Grow Rice Step One: Collect all of your clean plastic buckets and empty plastic laundry soap buckets to work in. You do not want to use any container that has holes in the bottom that would let the water out.

Grow Rice Step Two: Buy some long-grain brown rice from the bulk bins at the grocery store or in a bag. Organically grown rice will reproduce better than some long-grain brown rice, but most kinds seem to have some grains that sprout. Your goal is to find brown long-grain rice that is as close to untouched by machines and chemicals as possible. White rice will not work because it has been processed. Or, you can buy a package of your favorite rice seed from a gardening supply outfit.

Grow Rice Step Three: Fill your buckets with about 6" of dirt or potting soil. Add water until it is about 2" above the soil level and toss a small handful of your store bought long-grain rice into the bucket; they will sink so that they are lying on top of the dirt under the water.

Grow Rice Step Four: Rice likes a warm climate, keep your bucket in a sunny area and move it if necessary to a warm place at night. Keep your water level at about 2 inches above the dirt until the rice is growing strong.

Grow Rice Step Five: When your plants are up to about 5-6 inches, increase your water level to about 4 inches deep. After that, let the water level lower in the bucket slowly over a period of time. You will want the plants just about dry of standing water by the time you are ready to harvest.

Grow Rice Step Six: Rice is mature somewhere in its fourth month if conditions are right. The stalks will change from green to gold in color when they are ready. To harvest, cut your stalks and let them dry in a warm place, wrapped in a newspaper for 2-3 weeks.

Grow Rice Step Seven: Roast your rice in a very low heat (under 200) for about an hour, and then remove the hulls by hand. You are now ready to cook with your own long-grain brown rice.

I guess you have too keep the rice in a very remote part of your garden - it must smell baaaaaaaad....

That's why you never leavea single grain of rice on your plate, eat it all ... how many hands it went through to get to your plate from the field.

The Harley guys in the USA call the Japanese bikes "rice burners" lol Honestly though, they can make alcohol from rice, so I am sure they could make fuel from it, we make ethanol from corn and turn that into E-85 car fuel, so why not? :D My Chevy S-10 has the Flex Fuel engine in it, I can run gas or E-85 in it. The E-85 is normally about 50 cents cheaper per gallon, but the fuel mileage isnt as good as regular gasoline.

From what I read and talking with the County Extension Agent, rice does not need to be flooded to grow - it's done to control weeds.

Mike

Back