• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Rice thread: good stuff!

If i am not wrong a general rice thread is missing.
I can't say that i eat rice often (even less cooked, really rarely) nor that i know it well, but i like it.
For sure hot pepper doesn't hure here too.

I had a pack of black rice so for dinner i made the following:

• 200g black rice cempo hitam
  • a dried piri piri
  • cream , about 100g
  • gorgonzola, about 100g 
  • also some Crucolo (i needed it to thicken sauce... It's like Asiago but better)
  • speck, about 150g (i had some leftover for tomorrow pasta)
  • saffron
  • turmeric
  • paprika

First i soaked 2 hours rice as indicated.
Then cooked it for 40 mins in 500g water. I used just a bit of salt. I added also a crushed dried piri piri.

In the meantime i prepared the sauce. I mixed gorgonzola and cream, slowly warm up and melt it. Later i added some Crucolo to round and thicken the sauce.
Then add saffron, turmeric and paprika.
ibwqkUv2MtHejE.jpg

Some mold gorgonzola pieces remains... But it's not a bad thing!

Near the end i prepared speck, previously cut in strips:
iIp2MHR2N8J1t.jpg

In a pan with some evo i cooked it a bit, just to change the color. Then i added other evo after cooking.

That's the final dish:
i6tAMnQUMzMjj.jpg

I really liked it. Rice was poor on salt and that was perfect to pair with speck. Speck is the natural companion for gorgonzola and was really good with rice. Heat was low but barely noticeable around half of dish. When i ended the dish i was more hungry.

Btw post your rice stuff!

What the hell are you guys doing to Essegi's thread???

Burying sic's negativity ...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429747595.559657.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429747595.559657.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 62
JayT said:
Chicken and mushroom risotto with kale, arugula, spinach salad.

Ingredients;

Risotto:

Arborio rice
Grilled chicken with basil citrus rub
Onion
Mushrooms
Chicken broth
Marsala wine
Lemon juice
Garlic
Black pepper
Parsley
Tarragon
Parmesan cheese
Gouda cheese

Salad:

Baby kale
Baby Spinach
Arugula
Iceberg lettuce
Mushrooms
Tomatoes
Sweet onion
Gouda cheese
Raspberry vinaigrette 

I sauteed the onion and mushroom for about five minutes over medium heat, added a pat of butter and the rice, cooking until slightly browned.  I added the wine and cooked another 3 minutes before adding the stock three cups at a time and lowering the temp to medium low.  The key to cooking this right is stirring pretty much constantly and adding more stock as soon as it is absorbed.  The second time I added stock (about ten minutes after the first) I added the chicken (forgot to take a pic of the chicken dammit!) and herbs and seasoning.  After about 30 minutes I began stirring in the cheese starting with the parmesan.  I think I added a little too much of the gouda, but it still turned out very good.  Any leftover will be risotto cakes tomorrow!

Man that looks delicious!

Ive always been a bit scared to try risotto, but you dont make it seem so daunting. Can i ask how much rice you use.... im guessing the rice to stock ratio is the most important part.

I used 2 cups of rice, a half a cup of wine, and a 32 oz can of chicken stock.  I didn't use it all.  Probably poured about a little over a cup out.  I think that means I used about 6 1/2 to 7 cups of stock.

Really, you just keep adding stock and letting it absorb until it gets to the consistency you want.  I like mine just past al dente.  Also keep in mind that the cheese is going to thicken it up. If it gets too thick you can add another ladle of stock, if its too wet, just let it reduce a few more minutes.  It really is a brilliant dish.  Also, make sure your stock is hot.

JayT said:
I used 2 cups of rice, a half a cup of wine, and a 32 oz can of chicken stock.  I didn't use it all.  Probably poured about a little over a cup out.  I think that means I used about 6 1/2 to 7 cups of stock.

Really, you just keep adding stock and letting it absorb until it gets to the consistency you want.  I like mine just past al dente.  Also keep in mind that the cheese is going to thicken it up. If it gets too thick you can add another ladle of stock, if its too wet, just let it reduce a few more minutes.  It really is a brilliant dish.  Also, make sure your stock is hot.
Sounds perfecto!

I've been making it for probably ten years now.  I found a great recipe once and rarely stray from it as the missus loves it.  Normally though, instead of the gouda, I use fontina.  That is the way we like it best.

grantmichaels said:
Burying sic's negativity ...

He might be needling Chris, but Chris is a big boy.  In the grand scheme this is "sic-lite" compared to what I've seen.  Probably an appropriate time to take things to PM to iron out any differences.  

@ JayT - risotto like the one you made are few and far between.  I don't order it out anymore because I can't stand when it's done wrong.  

He might be needling Chris, but Chris is a big boy.  In the grand scheme this is "sic-lite" compared to what I've seen.  Probably an appropriate time to take things to PM to iron out any differences.  

@ JayT - risotto like the one you made are few and far between.  I don't order it out anymore because I can't stand when it's done wrong.  

I'm well over it on day three or four ...

Come w/ new material for everyone else who has to experience it, or move the fuck along ...

I have no problem helping things along, like a nice accelerant ...

Also, having been "there" ... it's nice when other people acknowledge it, so I'm happy to do it for another, especially Chris ...

I don't want to read any more "Come back" threads until '16 ...

All that said, I fully appreciate your pacifistic approach - and it takes all kinds, certainly ...

JayT said:
What the hell did I get started tonight.  I just tried to post risotto...
Bro you rice is on point and I like it...I have toilet paper on my shoe following me...sorry but I cannot shake it. 

edit....

I fixed it!

https://youtu.be/nfWlot6h_JM

Back