• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

RichardK's Grow Log - 2010

Heres where I am at so far (as of Feb 22nd, 2010)

Seedlings Progress, you probably can't tell to well from these pics but each cup has the type written on it and a colored ziptie for identification, heres the color code.

Ziptie Color Code:
Orange = Orange Habanero
Pink = Caribbean Red Habanero
Green w/out black top = West Indies Habanero
Green w/ black top = Jamaican Habanero
Blue w/out black top = Caribbean Red (female) x West Indies (male)
Blue w/ black top = Caribbean Red (male) x West Indies (female)

22nd_01.jpg
22nd_02.jpg

My Bih Jolokia which I started way too early is already podding up which is a good thing because it was growing so big and so fast (even without pinching buds) I have been pruning the ends constantly!

Here are some of the pods out of 15 so far.

Sdc10893.jpg

Sdc10899.jpg

Sdc10906.jpg

Sdc10907.jpg

And last but not least, See how many you can find in this one...

Sdc10908.jpg

Ohh and the black markings on the stems are from a Sharpy, just a little thing I do so I don't count the same one twice.

Nice plants and nice pictures. Are those your crosses? First year growing them? I hope they work out well for you. The Bih looks great, I'll have to grow one next year.

ZanderSpice said:
Are those your crosses? First year growing them.

Yeah, F1 and I have some other crosses F1 as well though I was not able to germinate them this year (not enough room)

Caribbean Red x Orange (both ways)
West Indies x Orange (both ways)

Although I do have one Caribbean Red (female) x Orange Habanero (male) going, and in fact, since my Bih Jolokia was not producing pollen (not enough light) the F1 Caribbean Red x Orange was producing some pollen and I pollinated my Bih Jolokia flowers with that, so who knows what the seeds from those pods will produce, since I have no idea what the male parent looks like.

Right now I know my Caribbean Red x Orange has Caribbean Red fruit traits (lime colored pods) and Orange Habanero leaves, so far no fruit on that though.

Looks great. I used to use the solo cups as well, but they kept tipping over when I tried to move the trays to water and harden off. I am using 3.5" pots this year and they are much more stable. The plants grew in the cups though.

jacob

Red Solo cups are made of win and bacony awesomeness.

Beautiful plants, mate. I'm diggin the zip tie color code thing. When you repot up or move to soil, are you going to wrap them around the main stem of the plant for identification through the season?

Skydiver said:
When you repot up or move to soil, are you going to wrap them around the main stem of the plant for identification through the season?

I have these plastic name tab things with a spike that I can write the name on and stick into the soil, will wash and recyle the zipties for next year :) One good thing about the zipties is I can easily identify a plant from an old image or just quickly scanning the sea of seedlings with my naked eyes.

I counted around 25 flowers and pods. Is that close?

Wow, Richard, everything looks fantastic and such a dark green. Well done! The foil or heat blanket you have really seems to speed things up. You'll have enough room for their huge growth before transplanting?

Dont you just love indoor gardening? Have any of your neighbors or co-workers acussed you of growing non legal plants? Mine have jokingly done so. LOL Damn, here come the pepper police, gotta run...

Matt50680 said:
Dont you just love indoor gardening? Have any of your neighbors or co-workers acussed you of growing non legal plants? Mine have jokingly done so. LOL Damn, here come the pepper police, gotta run...

Police have searched the place twice in the last three years. So yeah :)

All my neighbors think it's weed, but who would be dumb enough to grow weed near a window?!?!?

patrick said:
Looking good Richard.

Hope you keep us updated on the hybrids.

I will, will make either a website or a special thread for it. Hybrids are fun, probably more fun than just growing peppers.

salsalady said:
I counted around 25 flowers and pods. Is that close?

did this get missed?

Back