• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

RIP Pepperproblem :(

kalimazoop said:

yes. At this time I prefer not to divulge that information.  Once all the stuff gets sorted out with his family maybe someone will post the particulars. 
word!

not being disrespectful!    just this whole thing was started,and if yall feel the way i do this forum kinda like a big family?   if my 3rd cousin died and everyone in my family was calling i would ike to know how he died.        i wont ask again,and much love to the family and friends.

sicman said:
word!

not being disrespectful!    just this whole thing was started,and if yall feel the way i do this forum kinda like a big family?   if my 3rd cousin died and everyone in my family was calling i would ike to know how he died.        i wont ask again,and much love to the family and friends.

I agree with this. This secrecy about what happened to a friend of all of us is just strange. 

not trying to be secretive, just discrete.  I will be happy to inform yall once I have all the information.  I apologize but it does not seem right to me to divulge that info at this time.  If someone else in the know wants to do that they are welcome to.  You will hear no complaints or objections from me. 

cmpman1974 said:
kalimazoop, thanks very much for the insight into Shawn and his passion of peppers. :)  It sounded like he truly loved the hobby.

Chris

He always spoke very highly of you and was totally stoked about all the different seeds he was getting into.  he was just as eager to spread them around too. :P

Thank you for the insight kalimazoop. He was eccentric for sure. I still feel alittle shitty about this.I hope you guys can find something unique or rare out of his plants and grow it to maturity. It would be cool to maybe have some folks do a tribute grow next season from the seeds.

I'm pretty new to THP and did not get to know Pepperproblem but it is obvious he was well liked and respected here.

May I suggest that perhaps those finding a home for his seed collection could consider selecting an assortment of seeds and assembling a Seed Train in his honor.  It would seem a fitting tribute as growing peppers seems to have occupied a major role in his life - at least in the recent past.
A number of packets could be held in reserve to reseed the train from time to time.

Nigel said:

Hey Primo, good of you to be the point of contact and help out here. I am only about 10 miles from Shaw`s place and I`m in touch with a few chili people from THP here in San Diego. I know a lot of what Shawn had in his plant collection for this year and there are a number that I feel should go to expert growers. I hope to identify some of those with Gerry and help send them out. For example, Shawn had a single purple moruga plant from 100 seedlings, grown from seeds that he got from Chris Phillips. That plant should probably go to Chris if at all possible. 

Anyway, I`ll try to give you a call tonight, as I have a very busy day today.

Nigel

Hey man... thanks for helping bro.  Yeah, it's hard for me to really do anything other than help corridinate or lend my expertiese...being I'm way down in the swampland.  I totally agree with you, Chris should get that Purple Moruga. Glad you
got in touch with Gerry.  Yes, please call.  If I don't answer, I may be in a meeting, but I'll be sure to call ya back asap.  I'm so happy I was able to obtain and grow about 10 different aji's from Shawn. I'm making damn sure to save seed from em.

Rock on,

Preem
kalimazoop said:
just getting the news.  thanks to KindDenniz for the heads up.  I am shocked to say the least.  I got in touch with Gerry and gave me the specifics of what happened to Shawn.  Thank you Primo for posting the contact information.  I have a lot to say right now.  let me get myself together and I will come back and post. 
No problem at all man.... I'm happy to have been touched by Shawn's generosity, wit, and kindness......and from the looks of it all, I wasn't the only one.  I'm glad his family now has a chance to read these post.  For instance, when my dad died a lot of his carnival glass collector friends came forth with their heartfelt sympathies.  We are talking internet friends that I didn't even know exsisted. It really gave me insight into the side of a man that I didn't see, and how much he was truly loved.
Great post kalimazoop.  I learned some things I didn't know about Shawn, and some things were joyfully reaffirmed.  Thanks for the write.  Rock on.  Preem

Just saw this thread and I'm really shocked.  I'm a pretty recent THP member and Shawn was one of the outstanding welcoming characters, someone I was hoping to meet in person one of these days.  Great guy with a lot of knowledge and the willingness to share it.

kalimazoop, let me know if there's anything we locals can do---help his family out with anything, or whatever.  I'm less worried about the peppers (there are clearly lots of good hands to take care of those), more about his loved ones.

-NT

Hi Guys,

had a good chat with Gerry tonight and there are 2 things we need to help with.

First is a chest freezer full of frozen peppers. My hope for these is that they can be dehydrated and made into powders. The powders can then be distributed amongst the people here at THP. My idea, and it is only that, is that the powders could be sold and the money collected then donated to a charity in Shawn`s name. If you have any better, or just different, ideas, please share them in this thread. A few local people may be able to help with the powder production, but if there are any volunteers please let me know.

Second is Shawn`s plant collection. Gerry is going to give me know an inventory of the plants, once he has time to do one! I can help by looking through that, along with a few others here, and selecting plants we think should go to various people to grow on. An example would the the purple morouga, which I think should go to Chris Phillips. There will be more of that nature and I will co-ordinate that with anyone here who is interested in receiving a specific plant. As above, please post here with any suggestions, recommendations and ideas.  

Finally, I am just very close, geographically, and knew Shawn a little, so please don`t think I`m the self-appointed distributor of Shawn`s stuff. I am merely trying to help the family in whatever small way I can. I truly hope that the vast majority of Shawn`s plants can go to some of the great growers here on THP.

Nigel

If given the chance I think what I would do is ask someone close to Shawn, like a close friend, what they feel he would have wanted done with all of his pods, plants, and seeds. Being an Ordained Minister I am asked questions like this quite often and there is no perfect answer. And there are a lot of good answers to be sure, like your charity idea, that is definitely a very nice idea. No matter how you go about distributing everything, as long as it is with good intention I believe he would be happy with what was done, and that is the most important thing. But at least for some of his pepper stuff it might be a good idea to see what someone close to him thinks he would have liked to see happen with them. More important than anything else, no matter what you all decide, is to keep Shawn in mind when making those decisions, and you can not go wrong.

I personally could not afford to buy anything, seeds, plants, pods or powders, I even considered volunteering to powder some of his peppers for you ( I do have a dehydrator and a grinder ) but honestly wouldn't be able to mail it back out once powdered. I would love to be able to contribute and/or afford some of his stuff, but all the help I can give is the advice I just gave. I hope it helps somehow. Regardless, his family and friends are in my prayers.

Sincerely, Reverend Michael Massey

Matthew 5:4

I'm willing to help out with the dehydration process. I'm not very close though, about 150 miles away. Maybe if someone who is a little closer picked up a big load, a few others who are farther north could come grab smaller loads to work on dehydrating them. Just throwing out the idea.

Arkennon said:
If given the chance I think what I would do is ask someone close to Shawn, like a close friend, what they feel he would have wanted done with all of his pods, plants, and seeds. Being an Ordained Minister I am asked questions like this quite often and there is no perfect answer. And there are a lot of good answers to be sure, like your charity idea, that is definitely a very nice idea. No matter how you go about distributing everything, as long as it is with good intention I believe he would be happy with what was done, and that is the most important thing. But at least for some of his pepper stuff it might be a good idea to see what someone close to him thinks he would have liked to see happen with them. More important than anything else, no matter what you all decide, is to keep Shawn in mind when making those decisions, and you can not go wrong.

I personally could not afford to buy anything, seeds, plants, pods or powders, I even considered volunteering to powder some of his peppers for you ( I do have a dehydrator and a grinder ) but honestly wouldn't be able to mail it back out once powdered. I would love to be able to contribute and/or afford some of his stuff, but all the help I can give is the advice I just gave. I hope it helps somehow. Regardless, his family and friends are in my prayers.

Sincerely, Reverend Michael Massey

Matthew 5:4

I agree 100% and that is the process we are going through with Gerry Breid, a close friend of Shawn`s, and Shawn`s family. We supply ideas and they decide what is to be done.

Back