• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

RIP Pepperproblem :(

If it is their wish is to let us handle the pods I am more than willing to pick them up and bring them up to LA. I live down there and work up here...just let me know where and when and I will bring the pods as far as Seal Beach. I can do the same with some plants if it comes to that, but they'll probably get pretty beat up if they have to ride in the back of my Pickup.

Nigel, I have spoken with the Barracks administration and gotten permission to let me start a container garden up here for the service members that live in the Barracks. I had started that process months ago when it would have been viable to start from seeds. If they're willing to let me have a few I think that would be really cool...just a thought. Standing by to support whatever their wishes are.
Shane

I have some memory about what he was growing and I am growing some of the same.  I will go dig up his grow log that may have a lot of the information in it and may help gerry from a time and inventory perspective.  Nigel can you pass this information onto him.  Gerry indicated that some family members may keep one plant each to grow in memory of Shawn, but the rest they would prefer find a happy home. 

Shawn also overwintered several plants from last year.  Some got planted in the ground, but there are several more in pots.

Here is his Grow Log
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/37990-pepperproblems-2013-grow-log/

Here is the last plant list he posted in the grow log.  I know he was trying to sell some of them so not sure what is left. 

Butch XX-- from Butch
Ice Scream
Rocoto Inca
Infinity X Black Naga #2
Trinidad Scorp. Chocolate, New Strain
Bolivian Enormous Rocoto
Turbo Pube
Primo Yellow
Infinity X Black Naga #1
Bih Jolokia Light Green
Primo, from Primo's mother plant.
Fatalii Cream
Bubblegum 7 Pod
Big Naga Momma Yellow
Mako Akokosrade
Majah Black Moruga X Bhut
Rocoto San Isidro
Rocoto Pisac
Hab/Manzano X (?)
Pimenta da Neyde
Moruga Blend (multi sourced)
7 Pod White
Orange Bhut
Primo Orange
Faria
Mata Frade
Brown Egg
Green Habanero
Yellow Jamaican Scotch Bonnet
Foodarama Scotch Bonnet
7 Pod Brain Strain
Yellow 7 Pod X Yellow Scorp.
Infinity
Moruga Yellow
Mako Kokoo
c. microcarpum
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Kpakpo Shito
Peach Scorp.
Pitanga Amarela
Trinidad Scorp. Yellow
Brain Strain Yellow
Jamaican Long Scotch Bonnet
Rocoto Brown
c. galapagoense
c. rhomboideum
V.Viper
Butch T Miss.
Reaper
Hawaii Beach Pepper
Jays Ghost Red
Guadalupe Black
T.Scorp. Green
Yaki Hybrid
Trepaderia Werner
Yellow Douglah
Phiringa Jolokia
Maya x Bhut Carbon
Bhut x Scorp.x Jalapeno
Ceiro Recife
Naranja Picante
CGN 21500
Choc. Senegal
T.S. Moruga Yellow
Yellow T.S. S.R.
Infinity
7 Pod S.R.
7 Pod Burgundy
T.S. Yellow
Choc. Bhut
Peach Bhut
Red Scotch Bonnet
Yellow Scotch Bonnet
Choc. Moruga HIXS
T.S. Moruga Yellow
Buzz
Zanahoria Triangulo
Cajamarca
T.C. Choc. Congo
Purple Bhut
Hand Grenade #1
Hand Grenade #2
7 Pod Orange/Yellow
Madame Jeanette
7 Pod SR x Douglah
Scotch Bonnet Choc.
Pimenta Moranga
Rain Forest
Turks Cap
El Oro de Equador
Aji Pinga de Perro
Aji Dulce
Aji Chombo
Pimenta Rosa do Acres
Pimenta di Senise
Ancient Sweet
Crvena Fererona
Yellow Thai
Devils Tongue White
T. Congo Red
Lanceolatum
Cardenasii
Rocoto Rio Hualaga Orange
Rocoto San Isidro
Rocoto Bolivian Enormous
Bhut Orange Co.
Rennie
African Gambia
Yellow 7 Pod x Y. Scorp.
Yaki

Pt 2

Tovarii
Cap 1141
Papa Joes Scotch Bonnet
Aji Oemba
Aji Jovita
Piazino
Naga Morich Jukka
7 Pod Long Savannah
7 Pod Brown
Peruvian Serrano
Bishops Hat
Bhut Carbon
Red Congo x
7 Pod Lg
7 Pod Barrackpore
7 Pod Chang.
Black Stinger
Black Naga
Safi
Fatalii
Naga Morich
Yellow Cardi TS
Cumari de Para
Queen Laurie x y. Bhut
Fatalii x Y. Bhut
7 Pod Y x Fatalii
Brown Egg
Y. Bhut x 7 Pod Primo
Sprouts SB shape
Sprouts Turks Cap shape
Douglah Red
Douglah Brown
Douglah Yellow
Queen Laurie
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Aji Colorado
Aji Yellow
BT x Y. Scorp Lg.
7 Pod Orange x Lg
7 Pod Brown x Red
Sepia Serpent
Mustard Hab.
Madballz
BT AJ
Kitchenpepper Peach
Most Prolific
BGH 460
Red Stinger
Datil
Birgits Locoto
Brazilian Starfish
Cumari Pollux
Big Naga Momma Red
Ultra Pube

plot20021_zps769afccd.jpg

some choice photos.  these are from his photobucket which is public.

K2.jpg

nssa10491_zpsf9ee438d.jpg

Blacks Beach.  Great Surf and Naked People.

blacks1021.jpg

this is some sort of exotic fruit from India. I think that is what he told me.  He was surprised by their size, not suppose to get this big.  Grown in 2012.

fogpepper0031_zps367ec9de.jpg

LArge Yellow 7
yellow006.jpg

20100511_1_zpsaa5a53cc.jpg

looks like pictures from his wine making days.

camwine009.jpg

IMG_4608JPG1_zpse0f293ce.jpg

thismembername said:
does anyone know what he succumbed to?
I'm sure some folks know. And, I'm sure none of us need to know his ultimate demise. It pains all to lose a cherished forum member, but even more to lose a family member. I have nothing but sympathy and condolences to his immediate family and his extended pepper family. ... Just my thoughts......

Damn this put a dent in my day.  Heartfelt condolences to Shawn and those around him.  I'm very impressed with this thread and the outpouring of love.

That 100 pepper powder review really piqued an interest in me and was part of what made me want to register and join this site.  Shawn was always quick to offer good advice or a kind word of encouragement.  A toast befitting our fine friend:

To Shawn!  May the warm sun never set on you or your plants, may the peppers you find on your next stop be as flavorful and hot as you desire, and may the waves ever crash pleasant music in your ears.  RIP

RIP from the southern hemisphere to beyond the gray skies ... Much love and respect. Generous spirits should be celebrated.

Amazing list....  He was definetely growing way more this year then I ever imagined. Lots of rare ones.... 
Glad all is going well with the help for Gerry and the family.  Shawn would have totally approved and is totally here smiling.

Most of you are much more familiar with the many strains out there but I enjoy looking over a list like this and reading about new peppers(to me).  Ceiro Recife and Mako Akokosrade stood out and it looks like both are mild seasoning type peppers but from different parts of the world.  I found information but they seem to be obscure enough to be difficult to obtain.  I can imagine he must have found great satisfaction in being able to grow such(relatively rare) varieties and then compare, first hand, the subtle differences between them and other similar peppers.

Been meaning to Post about how sorry I am about his Passing, been having some problems myself,
It seem that it was just the other day I was answering a Email from him, but it was a month ago, He had ask me if I needed any thing and I said I would let him Know after that I didn't hear back from him.
Its always sad to hear that some one had passed on, It can leave you with a lot of questions.
My understanding was he was a very generous person and I can only pray and hope that his passing was without pain and that he now rest in peace. Rest In Peace Shawn

From Shawn's sister Heidi:

"Hi Primo, thank you so much for getting back to me. There is one thing you can do for me at this time. We created a facebook memorial page for people to reach the family. We would like if you could post it on the hot pepper site. It is " pepperproblem memorial ". Take a look and check it out, it is a work in progress still. It would be a great help. Thank you so much for everything! Heidi"

https://www.facebook.com/pepperproblem.memorial?ref=ts&fref=ts

I traded some seeds on here for the first time a month or two ago. I was just going back through those seeds today only to realize that it was pepperproblem I had traded with! I was looking for some black naga seeds and he offered to trade me some. I only had 2 varieties that he wanted and sent what I had. He ended up sending me like 15 different types of seeds! I was blown away and actually felt horrible cause I couldn't provide him more.Pepperproblem was so generous. It's people like him that make a community like this so welcoming. RIP pepperproblem.

Back