• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

ripening off plant

so these are the last of my pods before it starts to get to freezing temps here and i over winter, whats the best way to ripen my pods off-plant?

pods in question (chocolate bhut and caribbean red hot and 2 yellow 7s)

KyBux.jpg

Pexman -Put 2 very red apples in the brown paper bag with the peppers. Close, but don't seal it. I can't remember the name, but the ripening acid that causes the apple's to ripen should work on the peppers. Give it a try. I've never done this with peppers, but I've ripened green Bannana's very fast with this method.

As I have no experience doing this with peppers, I can't be 100% sure if this will truly ripen. In the case of the Bananas that I ripened, they really ripened and had the taste and consistency of yellow or brown (if ripened longer) Bananas.

Pexman -Put 2 very red apples in the brown paper bag with the peppers. Close, but don't seal it. I can't remember the name, but the ripening acid that causes the apple's to ripen should work on the peppers. Give it a try. I've never done this with peppers, but I've ripened green Bannana's very fast with this method.

I tried to brown-bag-ripening some green peppers earlier this summer but I used a green apple and they really didn't turn red. I'll have to try again with red one. (Granny Smith are my favorite so I figured I'd eat them after the peppers ripened; green apples must not kick off as much ethylene as red ones)

i did not know peppers ripened once picked. i have had some green fatalis in the fridge for a week. can i ripen them to yellow or has being in the fridge changed that?

Brown bag, no apple...they ripen just fine. Check the bags every day and take out the ripe ones. IMO they taste like ripe peppers not green ones.

Back