• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Roach Problem---What would you do?

I'm drying some paprika peppers in a dehydrator, and I found three large cockroaches (we call them Palmetto Bugs) in there with the peppers. Needless to say, I've spent a lot of effort growing these peppers from seed, then deseeding them. My plan is to powder the dried peppers then make Hungarian Goulash, which involves cooking the paprika powder. If I tell my wife there were roaches in with the peppers she probably will refuse to eat anything I make with them.

So, my dilemma is whether to say anything and whether to use the peppers. What would you do?

So long as you took out the bugs, I'd probably eat it. But then, I am unusual. If you are saying it doesn't bother you and you would eat the peppers, then you are fully in compliance with The Golden Rule. Still, after you get rid of the roaches you should still probably not say anything. And if you sell peppers, please don't sell anything that may have been contaminated. You never know if the person buying the stuff has an allergy or a weak immune system.

Palmetto Bugs or American Roaches though gross are not nearly as likely to infest a kitchen. They come from outside and attached themselves to your harvest. You found three? Its likely that was all that hitchhiked inside. They still can be vectors. You are safer with these than you would be with the common German roach.

My advice would be to throw, but its more of an ick factor than a huge problem.

People kept telling me that there is a certain amount of dead bugs allowed on a frozen pizza and I wanted to ask about it to get the truth. I wrote to the Food and Drug Administration, because pizza is technically a food even if it comes frozen. They told me that it was the Department of Agriculture that I wanted to ask. So I did. They explained to me that plants to make food are grown outside and bugs are attracted to them. Perfection isn't possible. We all have to tolerate a certain amount of contamination.

Back