• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

RobbieWT's 2012 Grow Log

I guess I better start a grow log or I'll forget.

Here is the list so far:

Annuum
Beaver Dam​
Fresno​
Tunisian Baklouti​

Baccatum
Lemon Drop​

Chinense
Bahamian Goat​
Bhut Jolokia​
Chocolate Habanero​
Chocolate Scorpion​
Datil​
Douglah​
Fatalii​
Scotch Bonnet​
7 Pot Brain Strain​
7 Pot Red​
7 Pot Yellow​

Frutescens
Zimbabwe Bird​

Pubescens
Red Manzano​

Non-Peppers
Sweet Basil​
Thai Basil​
Pineapple Sage​
Lemon Verbena​
Fenugreek​
Cantaloupe​
Marketmore Cucumber​
Pineapple Tomatillo​
Zucchini​

I'll probably get a few more seedlings in the spring

So far, I started the Manzano seeds and one has sprouted. Sometime around Christmas I'll start the Chinenses and Frutescens. I'll start the rest in early February. For now I have a lot of landscaping work to do. I'm going from a 16 square foot raised bed to somewhere between 80 and 112 square feet. Plus I'll have a bunch of containers.

[sub]Outstanding list ! Dang everytime someone posts a great list, I start thinking, YEA, I'd like to grow that too! The Lemon Drop and Datils sure get mentioned a lot around here.[/sub]
[sub]Suggestion: grow some onions and cilantro also, nice for fresh salsas to go with some of those other tasty veggies. Oh, yea, at least one tomato.[/sub]
[sub]Question: where did you get your Zimbabwe Bird seeds? I'm wondering how they might compare with Philippine Siling Labuyo?? Would it be overkill to grow both?[/sub]
[sub]Final comment: You grow log must be accompanied by photo evidence. Even a token Red Marzano sprout will do for starters![/sub]

[sub]Good luck..... :cool: [/sub]

I got the Zimbabwe Bird seeds from Trade Winds Fruit. I've never tasted them or the Siling Labuyo, but the trade winds web site says the heat is up there with the habaneros.

As far as the other veggies go, I can usually trade with my neighbors. In my neighborhood those Marketmore Cucumbers are like cigarettes in prison.

And here are the Red Manzano sprouts in a little plastic cup on a paper towel. I noticed a few more today.
DSCF1518.jpg

I guess I better start a grow log or I'll forget.

Here is the list so far:

Annuum
Beaver Dam​
Fresno​
Tunisian Baklouti​

Baccatum
Lemon Drop​

Chinense
Bahamian Goat​
Bhut Jolokia​
Chocolate Habanero​
Chocolate Scorpion​
Datil​
Douglah​
Fatalii​
Scotch Bonnet​
7 Pot Brain Strain​
7 Pot Red​
7 Pot Yellow​

Frutescens
Zimbabwe Bird​

Pubescens
Red Manzano​

Non-Peppers
Sweet Basil​
Thai Basil​
Pineapple Sage​
Lemon Verbena​
Fenugreek​
Cantaloupe​
Marketmore Cucumber​
Pineapple Tomatillo​
Zucchini​

I'll probably get a few more seedlings in the spring

So far, I started the Manzano seeds and one has sprouted. Sometime around Christmas I'll start the Chinenses and Frutescens. I'll start the rest in early February. For now I have a lot of landscaping work to do. I'm going from a 16 square foot raised bed to somewhere between 80 and 112 square feet. Plus I'll have a bunch of containers.

Hey Robbie,
Good luck with your grow log. Way to get the jump on the "Manzanos" they're a long season variety, but wort the wait!
Looks like your going from a 4 x 4ft. bed to adding on a couple of 4 x 12ft. beds? Can't go wrong with more plant varieties.
I use both beds and containers. Each year I add a few more containers.
Keep us posted with pictures.

Greg

I got the Zimbabwe Bird seeds from Trade Winds Fruit. I've never tasted them or the Siling Labuyo, but the trade winds web site says the heat is up there with the habaneros.

As far as the other veggies go, I can usually trade with my neighbors. In my neighborhood those Marketmore Cucumbers are like cigarettes in prison.
Thanks for the Zimbabwe source and the Marketmore suggestion, RobbieWT. I've been looking for a backup to my Tasty Green cukes, which my local prisoner-gardeners disdain for their color, but they do like the taste.

Nice close up pic of the Manzano hatchery, also. Looking forward to your future reports.... :cool:

12/22/2011 Update

Five Manzano seed sprouted and got moved into 12oz plastic cups with drainage holes. Here is a picture of one of the baby Manzanos.

DSCF1519.jpg

Last Saturday I put some Zimbabwe Bird Pepper seeds in a hatchery, and it looks like they are starting to pop.

DSCF1520.jpg

Sometime in the next couple of days I'll start the Chinense seeds.

Christmas update!

I started all of my chinenses today. It was between 8 and 12 seeds for 11 different varieties. I'm using my 4ft t5 grow light for keeping the seeds warm.

I placed my manzanos in a plastic food service container so they can stay at a slightly higher temperature. It's pretty cold in my house.

A bunch of cups with seeds:
DSCF1523.jpg

Baby Manzanos:
DSCF1524.jpg

Spent some time today putting chinense sprouts in Jiffy Pellets.

So far the following have sprouted:
5 Red Manzanos​
8 Zimbabwe Birds​
7 Bahamian Goats​
6 Scotch Bonnets​
5 Chocolate Scorpions​

Total: 31​

I have only one Jiffy Pellet left. So I'll be making a trip out to get some more.

DSCF15251.jpg

The Chinenses have been popping the last few days.

Current Count:
5 Red Manzano​
8 Zimbabwe Bird​
7 Bahamian Goat​
8 Scotch Bonnet​
11 Chocolate Scorpion​
2 7-Pot Brain Strain​
7 7-Pot Yellow​
5 7-Pot Red​
2 Douglah​
5 Bhut Jolokia​
5 Fatalii​

Total: 65

I'm in way over my head and I haven't even started the annuums and lemon drops yet.

Big Tray of various chinenses:
DSCF1526.jpg

Zimbabwe Birds and 3 Scotch Bonnets:
DSCF1529.jpg

Manzanos and two Bhuts:
DSCF1528.jpg

In over your head or not, those starts look great! you gotta be doin something right :)
Lookin good Robbie. Looking forward to watching!
Brandon

I'm no longer "in over my head." It was mostly trying to fit all the plants under a single 4 foot t5. I got a 72 cell container and now I have room to spare. I'll just have to slide it back and forth so the plants don't bend over too much.

So far none of my Datils or Chocolate Habaneros have sprouted. So I started some more today.

Finally, the Zimbabwe Bird Peppers are starting to out grow their jiffy pellets.

It's been a couple of weeks since my last update.

I was going to wait until mid February to start the Annuums and Lemon Drops, but I couldn't wait. I'm trying to get between six and nine of each.

Some of the Chinenses are getting ready for bigger pots. Luckily my mom bought me a box of 180 cowpots for Christmas.

Finally, the Manzanos are starting to branch and bud. This is happening much sooner than I thought.

DSCF1537.jpg

DSCF1538.jpg

DSCF1539.jpg

Today the UPS guy came and brought me my new grow light. It is a 4ft 4 tube fixture that included 4 6400k T5s. Now I can fit more plants under it without having to shuffle them around too much. The only problem is that this light can get pretty hot. But a fan can take care of that.

The new light
DSCF1540.jpg

Some plants and my thermometer:
DSCF1541.jpg

I can keep the temps in the upper 70s, but the humidity is down to 32%. That seem a little low.

Looking good man. Are they jiffy pots you are using?? Be careful with them as they are quite hard to keep evenly watered as they tend to draw the moisture out of the soil. They also tend to stunt the roots. I ended using them because of those reasons and when planting them out I tore the bottom 1/2 off to allow the roots out

The Manzanos are getting big
DSCF1542.jpg

From left to right: Douglah, Fatalii, Bhut Jolokia. The fatalii's is turning a little yellow. And the Bhut is really purple.
DSCF1543.jpg

Fresnos and Tunisian Baklouti.
DSCF1544.jpg

Beaver Dams
DSCF1545.jpg

Lemon Drops
DSCF1546.jpg

Zimbabwe Bird Peppers
DSCF1547.jpg

Finally, Pineapple Sage flowers
DSCF1548.jpg

Back