• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Rock Dust?

I used some this year for the first time.  Mine was actually supposed to be dirt from where a glacier melted back so minerals from 1000s of years ago still intact.  My reason for using is to restore some minerals to the soil and add better flavor to veggies.  Our summer has been so wet, not much veggies producing, except my peppers, and starting to get some eggplants now.  Will let you know if I see any significant enhancements over last year, lol.

I have in the past, they're very slow release and in the end I found them too cost ineffective.  I find it's cheaper and more effective to include a lot of "weeds" into your compost as most have deep root systems so they accumulate lots of the same minerals into their tissue, which is then added to the soil via the compost.  Most of them also have lot's of carbon, creating a longer lasting humus.

I used AZOMITE this year. I have a very strong season, but much of that is probably due to favorable weather and general improvement in my skillz and experience. That being said, I think it's a good ammendment if you are really looking to live of your land. Lots of trace elements that if you are eating a home grown plant based diet, are must haves. If you are just growing Chili's, there are cheaper ways to get the job done. KELP, fish hydrosolate etc all are loaded with trace.

If you can find a great deal online, or even better, locally, I say go for it. But don't go out of way or pay and arm and a leg.

A little bit of Azomite can go a long way, especially for container mixes. Or if you are planting in the ground you can drop and mix a heaping tablespoon into the planting hole. I put a little into seedling mixes as well. I prefer the dust form because it is micronized and super-fine. Thery have big affordable bags of the pelletized version,  good to spread over whole plots where it should last at least a few seasons.

Some people's soil need it more than others, no way of knowing without a proper soil test. I consider it more of a growing "optimization" thing, most people shouldn't expect miracles even with flavor. I imagine it'll fill up your veggies with vitamins closer to their full potential, as long as the soil PH is within range etc etc. It is also an excellent source of sillicates.

You can toxify your soil with micro-nutrients, that's why less is better sometimes, your product will last longer that way anyway.

I find Azomite cheapest at Kelp4Less.com and Ebay, usually with free shipping. I would compare prices at both places and go with what's cheapest.

Jetchuka said:
A little bit of Azomite can go a long way, especially for container mixes. Or if you are planting in the ground you can drop and mix a heaping tablespoon into the planting hole. I put a little into seedling mixes as well. I prefer the dust form because it is micronized and super-fine. Thery have big affordable bags of the pelletized version,  good to spread over whole plots where it should last at least a few seasons.

Some people's soil need it more than others, no way of knowing without a proper soil test. I consider it more of a growing "optimization" thing, most people shouldn't expect miracles even with flavor. I imagine it'll fill up your veggies with vitamins closer to their full potential, as long as the soil PH is within range etc etc. It is also an excellent source of sillicates.

You can toxify your soil with micro-nutrients, that's why less is better sometimes, your product will last longer that way anyway.

I find Azomite cheapest at Kelp4Less.com and Ebay, usually with free shipping. I would compare prices at both places and go with what's cheapest.
From what I understand Azomite is derived from volcanic sources. I personally have had amazing results with glacial derived mineral supplements.

From what I've read others have too...

Hells Bells said:
From what I understand Azomite is derived from volcanic sources. I personally have had amazing results with glacial derived mineral supplements.

Why is a glacial source suppose to be better then a volcanic one?  Unless I'm misunderstanding and you didn't mean to imply that.

Greensand is another option, personally I'd be surprised if it really there was much of a difference between them all as plants really aren't that particular when you're talking about micronutrients.  Which is why I choose to use invasive plants with deep roots harvested from the bush.  It's cheaper, socially responsible as it helps reduce invasive pressure, environmentally friendly as it doesn't involve shipping things all around and costs less.  Especially as most places in North America have rampant issues with "weeds".

Monkey Hunter said:
Why is a glacial source suppose to be better then a volcanic one?  Unless I'm misunderstanding and you didn't mean to imply that.
I
Greensand is another option, personally I'd be surprised if it really there was much of a difference between them all as plants really aren't that particular when you're talking about micronutrients.  Which is why I choose to use invasive plants with deep roots harvested from the bush.  It's cheaper, socially responsible as it helps reduce invasive pressure, environmentally friendly as it doesn't involve shipping things all around and costs less.  Especially as most places in North America have rampant issues with "weeds".
From what I've read the glacial source is more readily available to the plant, whereas the volcanic mined minerals are not.

To me it makes sense as thousands of years of above surface activity (weather etc..) may have caused the particles to oxidize and be more readily broken down a uptaken by the plant.

For me it seems to work and I have noticed much more flavor in my vegetables.

Oh.... And I use a local environmentally responsible source for my glacial mineral dust supplement. I would have to do some research and compare the mineral analysis to volcanic sources. From what I'm told the numbers are better..

Feel free to PM me if you want me to hook you up with some glacial rock dust to give a try..

Thanks for the offer, I'll look into it more as I haven't since I got out of indoor cultivation.  Back then I tried a bunch of side by side tests with mineral supplements and didn't find any appreciable advantage in either yield or quality.  I was using a high quality, complete soluble fertilizer though which may have nullified any advantage.  If ya have any good references you could toss me I'd appreciate it as I spend too much time reading on the net about gardening/farming as is...

Monkey Hunter said:
Thanks for the offer, I'll look into it more as I haven't since I got out of indoor cultivation.  Back then I tried a bunch of side by side tests with mineral supplements and didn't find any appreciable advantage in either yield or quality.  I was using a high quality, complete soluble fertilizer though which may have nullified any advantage.  If ya have any good references you could toss me I'd appreciate it as I spend too much time reading on the net about gardening/farming as is...
For sure!

I'll find out what I can and hopefully even have some mineral analysis to compare the glacial to others.

I would say the most noteable thing I have noticed since using a mineral supplement is in the taste of my veggies. Growth characteristics are somewhat the same in a side by side comparison... maybe a little more healthy looking plants with the minerals.

Hells Bells said:

Azomite is both volcanic and seabed deposits. Not sure if you've seen it yet but check this for a better explanation: http://azomite.com/history.html

In micronized form, -200 mesh size, it's a quick breakdown, but then i always use it right from the start, first in the nursery trays, then in the containers+ground with all the nice bacteria + fungi added with it. I don't recall any scientific tests being done to check for increased flavor compounds (brix etc), but it wouldn't surprise me if the "rock dusts" did actually work in that regard, especially compared to plants grown in mineral depleted soil.

Back