• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

RocketMan's 2013 Brewer's Sauce

Can any NON Homebrewer tell us what this is?

010E2AC3-6ABE-4841-9ED5-3488FE9FFF62-5886-00000744CC4F1192.jpg

C7B322E8-054A-4A92-B0F2-2962E6A5945B-5886-00000744D5E22A1B.jpg

No Kat, don't tell them

3C123F8F-744E-4EAF-BBBF-8F4242EE3AE5-5886-00000744E47D63C8.jpg

0FE6664E-F7BF-4379-8752-57AD533838FD-5886-00000744EB13F786.jpg

That's right folks, I just dry hopped my mash with 2 ounces of Fuggles. Going to give it 2 weeks and see if we have magic.

Stay tuned :cool:

Cheers,
RM

Pellet hops eh? Very interesting RM. Was your mash fermenting long before you added the hops or are they both going through the ferment together? Be sure to follow up with tasting results.

ME WANT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give me a week or so and PM me with details

Pellet hops eh? Very interesting RM. Was your mash fermenting long before you added the hops or are they both going through the ferment together? Be sure to follow up with tasting results.

You can be assured I will.

I guess I wil be the guinee pig and be the first to try it brother Bill :party: You know where I live ;)

I can't believe you are making a mash with rabbit food :rofl:

Actually most of my sauces have a degree of wascally wabbit food in them. Give them that great consistancy and yes you can be certain that you will be, BWahahahahaha!!!!! <insert evil grin here> !!!!

:cool:

This is a really interesting experiment. Hops + lacto ferments is not something I would have ever thought of. My experience with brewing sour beers is that a lot of strains of lacto are not tolerant of hops and so IBU's are typically kept below 15. Of course, that's for bittering hops and I have no idea about the tolerance of the lacto strain that would be active in a pepper mash. Hop bitterness and acidity in beers usually isn't a good combination either. But for dry hopping, maybe it will turn out to be something magic. If so, there's a lot of room to play with other varieties, e.g. the 4 C's or any of the great big citrusy aroma hops coming out of the Pacific Northwest.

Dry hop duration could be another factor too. In beer, two weeks is approaching extracting more unpleasant grassy/vegetal flavors from the hops. Some say that extraction is pretty much done after only a few days and that no more than a week is plenty. But again, who knows how this would translate to a pepper mash.

Veddy Veddy Interdesting!
Since hops acts as an Antibiotic I am curious if it will stop ferm. Was this added prior to or after? By the looks of your mash I would say after.
Only a HopHead would try something like that!

This is a really interesting experiment. Hops + lacto ferments is not something I would have ever thought of. My experience with brewing sour beers is that a lot of strains of lacto are not tolerant of hops and so IBU's are typically kept below 15. Of course, that's for bittering hops and I have no idea about the tolerance of the lacto strain that would be active in a pepper mash. Hop bitterness and acidity in beers usually isn't a good combination either. But for dry hopping, maybe it will turn out to be something magic. If so, there's a lot of room to play with other varieties, e.g. the 4 C's or any of the great big citrusy aroma hops coming out of the Pacific Northwest.

Dry hop duration could be another factor too. In beer, two weeks is approaching extracting more unpleasant grassy/vegetal flavors from the hops. Some say that extraction is pretty much done after only a few days and that no more than a week is plenty. But again, who knows how this would translate to a pepper mash.

The mash had already been going for 45 days and I usually let my fermentations go for 45 to 90 days depending on the level of sugars in the mash. More sugars means a longer fermentation. So the lacto activity would have been minimal and if the Hops stopped the fermentation process it wouldn't have been a problem. Dry hopping is about aroma. There may be a small amount of flavor added but I dont really think that much gets transfered. I was swirling the jar daily for the first week and at the 7 day mark I opened it to check it and then closed it up for a second week and I think it'll be perfect.

Veddy Veddy Interdesting!
Since hops acts as an Antibiotic I am curious if it will stop ferm. Was this added prior to or after? By the looks of your mash I would say after.

See above

Only a HopHead would try something like that! :shh:

:cool:

Last night I processed the sauce, well sauces actually. Let's start off with a recap, The process started about 2 months ago with all the veggies and peppers going into a fermentation jar with some lacto bacteria. Then 2 weeks ago, about, I dry hopped the mash with 2oz of Fuggles. Now here's how we're going to process it.

1. Dump out the mash into a Stainless Steel pot and bring it to a boil for 15 minutes then reduce to a simmer for another 45 minutes.
2. Into the Ninja blender till it's nice and smooth.
3. Back into the pot to simmer another 45 minutes adding additional ingredients.
4. Second blending
5. Bring to 195 dF for 15 minutes.
6. Bottle

I got a little caught up with the kids during the first simmer and blending and missed those pics but here's how the rest of it looked though:

Second simmer after additional ingredients, in this case 2 different beers, has been added.
680EA179-FCFA-4A08-A70B-2D801C20BBEA-2015-0000028697517989_zpsf85f76ed.jpg

Blending Beer type 1
33E587D6-358D-4982-8AB1-724F53654524-2015-000002868F7A8E3C_zpsd494c74f.jpg

Blending Beer type 2
D0666290-ECB2-4FCE-B0CD-7DE09B5C7DD8-2015-000002869FA7C349_zpsc6b4f945.jpg

So, I guess your wondering what kind of beers I used, maybe? Well here they are:
2E11CCA8-A569-4C16-9BD8-637015983D52-2015-0000028831762DF9_zpsd92e019a.jpg

and with their sauce
F53E95CC-BFE1-4CDF-9F8D-58AD8ECF98AA-2015-000002883D11F4AB_zps296fbebb.jpg

Of course there's a close up :)
C29440CC-ACD8-4696-A59E-9196B36AE02F-2015-00000286AEF27A6F_zps8b241f9d.jpg

After thoughts:
These are 2 very different styles of beers and are 2 of my favorites. I initiallly got into the Iniquity when my wife, who doesn't like beer very much came home telling me about it and how great it went with a steak she had while on a business trip. Then when Wheebz went to work at Southern Tier I had to give it a shot and loved it. Then Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA well what can I say, it's good.

The great thing about these sauces is that they don't push the beer into the background and make it just another part of the overall sauce flavor. For example, when wheebz first tasted the Iniquity sauce the first thing out of his mouth was "Holy Iniquity Batman!" and that was exactly what i was aiming for. A Beer Sauce where you could actually taste the beer in the sauce. This year, tasting right out of the pot, again the flavor of the beers shine through and the hot sauce part comes though for a nice finish. Heat is a good Habanero level which to me is as frydad4 said "a really great everyday level of heat. Now, I won't taste again for a week giving the sauce ingredients time to get all happy together and see what I have.

Hey, it's Wednesday, downhill slide into the Weekend! Have a great one y'all.

RM

Kat, waiting on that PM :cool:

Southern Tier is one of my favorite breweries. If you get a chance try the Hop Sun.

And damn fine looking hot sauce there RM. Thanks for the followup posts. ;)

I"m lucky enough to have tried RM's first batch of beer sauces. I'm a better man for it!
It was so good on everything, and especially crispy foods like onion rings...
And beefy foods like italian beef sandwiches.
And by itself on a saltine...
And...
And...
(I could go on!)

Back