• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Rockwool vs. Rapid Rooter vs. Bio-Dome Plugs

First, I do not like rockwool. Probably me, but I have, time and time again, tried all kinds of methods with very little success.

I bought some Rapid Rooter plugs and had way better germination. But they are expensive, especially if one wants to start hundreds or even thousands of seeds. Then someone, I think it was Silver Surfer suggested the bio-dome plugs.

These things do not hold water near as well as the rockwool or RR, but in my first test, the germination rates are outstanding, the seedling growth is all I can hope for and the cost is very reasonable. I got the smaller size and they are not quite big enough to completely fill a 200-cell Speedling tray but close. I hope to transplant the basil seedlings tonight but let the toms grow to salable size to see how they work in the long run.

Mike

Those were the ones from Parks Seeds yes? Glad they are working out. I guess I will have to break down and order some next month.

DT,

Yeah! Just be prepared to keep watering them. I have a pump sprayer that makes it easier or I can drop the Speedling tray in a tub of water. But their cost is great for any kind of plugs.

Mike

Hey Mike,
Can you leave the foam container floating on water or will the plugs wick too much water up?

Josh,

I don't know! It's suppose to rain for the next two days - we need it as we have had .2" in all of October and haven't had a decent rain since early August - but by Thursday the skies should clear. I have a tub I can put in the GH, fill with water and set the tray in. I'll find out and let you know.

Mike

...I have a tub I can put in the GH, fill with water and set the tray in. I'll find out and let you know.

Mike

Looking forward to hearing how this turns out. I just hope my suggestion doesn't cause your seeds to rot.

Josh,

Two things - every time I order seeds from Baker Creek and TomatoGrowers, they send me a free packet, so I have seeds to waste! But... tobacco growers use the Speedling trays, though I think they use a potting mix instead of a plug. But I do know the trays float in a water trough that uses circulating water. We raised tobacco for decades but before these came into vogue. But I have got a couple of trays from my sister that have plants in them and I'm telling you - you will not find a seedling in a nursery flat that is as tough as these things are. The root ball is only 1" square at the top, half of that at the bottom but I've transplanted those things on 90 degree days under a very hot sun, and they don't wilt in the least.

I like them and look forward to seeing how the plugs do!

Mike

I found another medium to try. Way, way cheaper than the Bio-Dome plugs (though those things are the cat's meow when it comes to starting tomato seeds. Seedlings with at least two sets of leaves but yet only about an inch tall!) these Smithers Oasis Wedges. More than 4,000 cells for $70 plus shipping! I found another site where I can order just one tray - 102 cells - to use as an experiment.

I already know the Bio-Dome inserts work a treat so anything more I learn is extra dessert!

Mike

Here's a pic of how the toms look. I didn't record the exact date but these plants were sown less than a month ago, as I ordered the sponges on October 12, they were shipped on the 14th, so I likely didn't get them until the 18th. None of the plants are quite 2" tall yet but look at the leaves! :onfire:

bionov10.jpg

Mike

Mike,

As you are using the Speedling tray, have you tried using the recommended grow material in them?
40% peat/ 40% vermiculite/ 10-20% compost mix, do not add sand.

Datil,

No, I haven't. I'm trying to find the least labor intensive way of starting 3,000 seedlings, but yet have great germination and survival rates. I had room, if I wanted to hang a few extra lights, to grow 1,000 seedlings but no way can I handle three times that amount unless I find smaller containers.

Thankfully, I still have my Greenhouse and once the seeds germinate, I can stick however many trays I use in it. By the middle of March, I will get plenty of light and should not need to use much heat, especially since cooler temps are better for stocky seedlings.

I am really anxious to see how these Oasis cubes do. They feel strange, almost like the Styrofoam that you see fake flowers stuck in. It could turn out I wasted $24, though the company sent me a free, 102 cell tray free, but if it works, it will save me at least $200 when it comes to buying seed starting medium this spring.

Mike

I have decided to do a side-by-side-by-side-by-side comparo this year between rockwool, PET, bark cubes, and potting soil.

I'm not a researcher, but I'll control it as best I can (same seed in each medium, lighting as close as I can get it, equal temps, etc.).

If anyone is interested, I'll post up results here or in a similar thread.

Any updates, Mike? I'm about to purchase my starter media soon, and am still looking at several different types...
Rapid Rooter: The seedlings were quite leggy, even under a 600 watt MH. They did survive transplanting into a hydro system well. Holds water extremely well. I would water them once a week after the initial tray full of water finally evaporated (about a month). Most expensive.
Bio-Dome Plugs: The clear winner. Short, stocky seedlings, fantastic root ball. My water pump went out in the grow chamber and I had to water by hand for two weeks. Watered only once a day, almost all of the plants survived and grew considerably. Need to be watered at least every other day, every 18 hours at the most.
Oasis Cubes: Were great for germinating tomatoes but do not hold water at all. Must be watered daily. I missed one day when the tomatoes were about 1.5" tall and that was fatal to most of them. Tried some Swiss Chard - very fast germination and growth. Was careful to water every day. Ten days after germination the Chard was ready to transplant. The cube was nearly solid roots. Least expensive. May try some more toms but allow the tray to sit in shallow water - remembering, and finding time every day to water them is hard to do!

Mike

I'm not sure. The RR cubes were sown about two weeks earlier and the temps were a bit warmer but not that much. But at their cost (~$20 for 50 cubes+tray) they are far more expensive that the Dome inserts or Oasis cubes. The latter is the best bargain: more than 4000 cubes for $90. I think I will some more of them but this time make sure they never dry out. :eek:

Mike

Back