• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

ROCOTOZILLA

hello all

i have a slight issue with one pepper plant its a ROCOTO possibly orange, i have dubbed it "ROCOTOZILLA"

its now huge and sprawling all over the place but its a Paper tiger because there are no pods just leaves,stems and the flower just drop off

im not fertilizing it or fussing over it anymore than i do my other and i started it about 2 to 3 weeks before Christmas 2010
i know there slow but this is ridiculous!!
i would ask what am im doing wrong but im no of nothing im doing wrong???, do they like it when things cool a little more, im thinking that's the problem??

im very successful with even some of the touchiest of species this is just a Rocoto??

im threatening it to start producing or im going to send it to pepper hell!! :hell:

help save a life im a very forgiving person but all its doing now is taking up alot of space

please help me if you can, im going to take a pic and get it on here soon thanks your friend Joe

thanks your friend JOe

Same here. I have a large rocoto plant that hasn't even tried to flower yet. First time growing one...

It is now my only plant without pods.

Same here. I have a large rocoto plant that hasn't even tried to flower yet. First time growing one...

It is now my only plant without pods.
dido on both is there someone that may be able to shed some light on this subject??

thanks your friend joe

Same here except I have 1 pod so far. Pubescens never grow well for me no matter what I do, and I've tried just about everything

Same here except I have 1 pod so far. Pubescens never grow well for me no matter what I do, and I've tried just about everything
well at least we are in the same boat, i hope its not sinking though :lol:

good you have one pod at least

thanks your fiend Joe

I've had tons of flowers on mine, but are just now starting to get some pods. One was mostly in shade, but when I moved it to sun, it started getting more active. I'm in N.E. Ohio, so similar weather to yours. Do give my plants CalMag from time to time.

I have both yellow (carnario) and red (manzano), and am seeing a marked difference between the two.

Hi Joe,
I too was a little nervous about starting a Manzano variety, but they seem to be my best plants.
I started them indoors under a simple 4 foot fluorescent fixture, then slowly transferred outside under a shade screen. My climate is very mild here, that may be why the plants do so well. I only use organic soil purchased from a reputable hydroponics store ( I used 50/50 Roots organics/fox farm ocean forrest + a little coco) and have never had to feed them a thing. I planted one of mine in the ground next to a shady spot on the side of my house where an old giant fern used to live. Although it gets 4+ hours of pretty good sun I believe one of the reasons for success is the cooler soil temps in this area, and the regular irrigation via drip hoses. Here is a few pictures of the monster, Although it drops the occasional flower it now has more pods than I can count, and is pushing 4 feet tall. Seeds sourced from Judy at pepperlover.com (Locato).

DSCF6025.jpg

DSCF6027.jpg

DSCF6029.jpg

Hope everything works out for you! try cooling it down with some shade or spending time everyday giving the plant some love. who knows. worst comes to worst they look really cool! and the purple flowers are stunning. Too bad someone cant come up with a fertilizer that prevents flower drop...

Hey Joe. Are you growing them in the ground or in containers? I couldn't get a single POT grown rocoto to set a single pod two years in a row. The two plants in the ground had no problems. Others have had no trouble growing them in pots so who knows.

Only one of my Rocotos have set pods. Two more are flowering, and the one planted in the ground has also gotten huge and is just now starting to produce flowers. This picture is a little dated, the plant is over five feet tall now:

IMGP1419.jpg

So, I'd say that's pretty much par for the course.

thanks again all

josh its in the ground, i started it inside before christmas and repotted it twice before it went in the ground, time is running out and if it dosnt make it i will not do rocoto next year, its not that im accepting defeat its more that i have so many others i wanna grow and i can sure use the space for something that will give me and other something

i should try the cal mag thing what do i have to lose?

thanks again and if anyone can add more please do

thanks your friend Joe

This year my Orange Manzano is super slow. I have found they do like the occasional watering with Epsom and cool partly shaded areas. My Rocoto Rojo had pods till November on the East coast and it was in a pot! I simply love these peppers.
When they are in bloom I use a Q-tip and hand pollinate which seems to really work. I will repeat a few times and when I am done the Q-tip is very yellow in a good way :)

Hey Joe. I have good luck this year with my red rocoto in a 5 gallon container. I have had your same luck with the ones in the ground... HUGE but seting no pods.. flower drop galore .... just weird.. i am still going to grow them next year.. i love the grow pattern.. very cool chili plant. Here is a pic a few weeks ago of the container one.
IMG_0874.jpg

I just read in a book (that's the internet on paper kids ;) ) that pubescens generally don't set pods the first year. It said that trials showed best harvest results in the second year and then slowly decreasing every year after that. Obviously people do get pods in one season, there must be some factor involved like humidity or day and night temps that signal the plant to set fruit.

I have a manzano amarillo seedling about a month old. Didn't realise it was a two year deal when I planted it!

I had great success with my 1st yr rocoto last year with a single plant producing over 50 thru out the season. This year it woudl seem as though my Orange Manzano is taking the 2yr plan

im going to start another super early this year (end of November poss) and pot it instead of putting it in the ground this coming season, lets see how it goes im not going to winter this monster its just too big and i refuse to fight aphids all winter!!

thanks its not over keep um coming

thanks your friend Joe

it looks good to me,
maybe try a shot of fertilizer

i have had an orange pube or two react to fertilizer by
setting pods(at least i felt it had something to do with it)

good growing :dance:

Hello my friend joy!
Rocoto plants is original from temperate zone, if the temperature of your city is to hight, the plant show his flower and drop without show his fruit! this can be the problem of your plant!

Back