• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

ROCOTOZILLA

I've got a total of three pods (on five plants) but lots of blossoms. This is their second try at putting out blossoms, so maybe most will hold out before the frost comes... :banghead:

When I lived in Vegas I grew both with a little help from two foggier nozzles in side of the plants used a piece of pipe about four foot long in the plants tied the nozzles at two and three foot up inside the plant had an electronic timer nozzles on for 10 min every hour over 80* off at night. worked great for me. it depends on your humidity on how much temp drop you can get.

well i guess im just gonna have to wait a little longer and see what happens,i did the fertilizer thing lets see what happens, man its getting invasive :eek: , i have to pull it back off of my red lipstick peppers, there being crowded out by it, at least there producing something, im not sure i wanna do rocoto next year

thanks your friend Joe

well i guess im just gonna have to wait a little longer and see what happens,i did the fertilizer thing lets see what happens, man its getting invasive :eek: , i have to pull it back off of my red lipstick peppers, there being crowded out by it, at least there producing something, im not sure i wanna do rocoto next year

thanks your friend Joe

Haha, yeah, they are a bit of a space hog. I think mine are about as wide as they are tall at this point (just over 5 feet). Like I said, they're only just now starting to flower, whether or not they'll decide to set pods is another matter...

I don't think Rocotos should be grown with any expectation of serious production. I'll probably keep growing them if only for the novelty. I donated some of my extra seedlings to my friends, I'll be sure to tell them all to overwinter them, and we'll see how they all do next year.

Haha, yeah, they are a bit of a space hog. I think mine are about as wide as they are tall at this point (just over 5 feet). Like I said, they're only just now starting to flower, whether or not they'll decide to set pods is another matter...

I don't think Rocotos should be grown with any expectation of serious production. I'll probably keep growing them if only for the novelty. I donated some of my extra seedlings to my friends, I'll be sure to tell them all to overwinter them, and we'll see how they all do next year.
mine is about 5 to 6 feet wide

yeah i think i would grow them for ornamental reasons because they are a really nice looking plant, would look good in a hanging basket

thanks your friend Joe

Well rocoto is in same family as manzano. I tried manzano last year and it set pods when the weather
started cooling and then it frooze.. I didn't feel like overwintering it. I will try again next year

Pubescens work for me really good. This year I have around 410 C.pubescens plants and the most are doing well.
But it took me a few Years to get it right.
6 Years ago when I grew my first Canario I put it in the Shade because I read so often that pubescens can not handle the Sun.
Had a huge plant in a rather small pot that did not set a lot of pods
Now I try to let the plants get as much Sun as possible and the plants stay compact but mostly set allot of pods.
Compact allways compared to the potsize Small Plants in Small Plants , Big Plants in Big Pots.
Also really imported is the fertilizer, I use an high potassium fertilizer

Here a big plant in a big pot

IMG_4712.jpg

Greetings

Hombre

ok lesson learned or rather unlearnedin this case
normal pepper plants should only be fed fertilizer in the early stages of there live and a little if they are ailing, but Rocoto need it more often

the sun issue isn't the problem here it gets plenty the soils good but not great in the area where i put it so i would say that's the problem and i may be able to fix that before its over for the year
im not a big fan of overwintering because im not a big fan of fighting aphids so when it over for this monster its over
im not too sure i wanna do another next season most likely not

thanks so much again your fiend Joe

I was having the same problem, big plants...no peppers.
Somewhere along the line I read that Rocotos don't self-pollinate well, so I decided to play honeybee.
I grabbed a small paint brush and buzzed from plant to plant tickling each open flower.
Within days I had fruit setting. Give it a try, nothing to lose

I was having the same problem, big plants...no peppers.
Somewhere along the line I read that Rocotos don't self-pollinate well, so I decided to play honeybee.
I grabbed a small paint brush and buzzed from plant to plant tickling each open flower.
Within days I had fruit setting. Give it a try, nothing to lose

wonder how they ever made it in the wild?? :lol:
yeah i could try that

thanks your friend Joe

I've heard that rumor before but I'm quite sure C. pubescens self pollinate just like all other chiles, they are just a lot more fussy.

Joe, I see healthy flowers all over that thing! And they aren't falling off anytime soon by the look of it. Just keep her root zone cool and well watered. She will give you peppers :) Looks good to me if that is the plant in the picture there...

edit: Oh, and don't be intimidated by the notion of cutting her almost all the way to the base, digging her root mass up, and potting her up for a winter window stay. Next year she'll set much better and sooner...

Pubescens work for me really good. This year I have around 410 C.pubescens plants and the most are doing well.
But it took me a few Years to get it right.
6 Years ago when I grew my first Canario I put it in the Shade because I read so often that pubescens can not handle the Sun.
Had a huge plant in a rather small pot that did not set a lot of pods
Now I try to let the plants get as much Sun as possible and the plants stay compact but mostly set allot of pods.
Compact allways compared to the potsize Small Plants in Small Plants , Big Plants in Big Pots.
Also really imported is the fertilizer, I use an high potassium fertilizer

Here a big plant in a big pot

IMG_4712.jpg

Greetings

Hombre
THIS :)

Joe, I see healthy flowers all over that thing! And they aren't falling off anytime soon by the look of it. Just keep her root zone cool and well watered. She will give you peppers :) Looks good to me if that is the plant in the picture there...

edit: Oh, and don't be intimidated by the notion of cutting her almost all the way to the base, digging her root mass up, and potting her up for a winter window stay. Next year she'll set much better and sooner...

ok sounds good

will it live potted up in the basement with a temp of around 40 to 55 degrees with little or no light then come back when i plant it again in spring??
i will only bother if this is possible.
im defiantly not bringing it in the house where its warm were it can infect my babies with aphids, i had that happen two years ago and had to start all over again that sucked majorly

thanks for the info

your friend Joe

ok sounds good

will it live potted up in the basement with a temp of around 40 to 55 degrees with little or no light then come back when i plant it again in spring??
im defiantly not bringing it in the house where its warm were it can infect my babies with aphids, i had that happen two years ago and had to start all over again that sucked majorly

thanks for the info

your friend Joe
Dude, just make sure she don't have ahpids anyway! lol I mean yes she will live that way (ive done that many times before) but still, Ya don't refuse to bring plants together because of pest risk, ya just treat them if need be. Once I stopped worrying about aphids (pests) and allowed natural insects to inhabit my plants...the bad pests seem to go away. Even if they do come up now and again, spray em down in some natural pyrethrins along with soaking the soil and watering it through. Problem solved...

ok sounds good

thanks for the info

your friend Joe

You will need a fair bit of light to keep the plants alive, I've tried with very low light and plants always died. I also have severe aphid problems in the winter and am probably not going to overwinter plants anymore, at least not in my house. I can spray plants almost every day but it never gets rid of all the buggers/eggs and buying predators has not proven to be effective for me during the winter.

You will need a fair bit of light to keep the plants alive, I've tried with very low light and plants always died. I also have severe aphid problems in the winter and am probably not going to overwinter plants anymore, at least not in my house. I can spray plants almost every day but it never gets rid of all the buggers/eggs and buying predators has not proven to be effective for me during the winter.
Sucks...

Even when I have totally left mine in the basement and not thought twice about them, they always came back with a vengeance every spring when I set them outside in the shade. I feel bad for some of you dudes on here, it sounds so sad :tear:

I just brought some plants indoors for a few days to isolate them and they are already full of aphids :( Time to fumigate the house
This has also been the worst year I've ever seen for ladybugs. I've only seen maybe half a dozen all year

Back