• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

ROCOTOZILLA

i had the same prob as POTAWE twice, im not going for three

i do allow the predictors to do there job and i guess they are but i i haven't seen many ladybugs or lacewings this year either

it a sad shame too seeing the base stem of this sucker is at least a 1/2 inch thick or a little better
i picked about 5 pods of a buddy's plant on Saturday so i am getting a taste anyway

thanks all your friend Joe

please be so kind as to give assessment
on any new development with the rocotozilla

i want you to tell if anything happens yet?

:woohoo:

please be so kind as to give assessment
on any new development with the rocotozilla

i want you to tell if anything happens yet?

:woohoo:
OK IM giving it some extra attention fertilizer etc but nothing is happening yet
i will post if anything changes

I have two Amarillos in pots and they do not even attempt to flower with my heat. mid 90s in the day and nights above 70. I am hoping to get a big fall harvest since the plants have grown pretty large at this point. At least you guys have buds that are dropping! I just have big pepper-looking plants with no flowering at all, I assume it is so warm that they shut down fruiting processes.

been a little while now, any changes?
no nothing at all just flowers, gave all the extra attention and nothing
im thinking about donating it to someone if there willing to pay the shipping, i will cut it down then dig it out for who ever wants it, i think its an orange species
any takers?? let me know, im kinda sick of it and now its too late

thanks your friend Joe

hello all

i have a slight issue with one pepper plant its a ROCOTO possibly orange, i have dubbed it "ROCOTOZILLA"

its now huge and sprawling all over the place but its a Paper tiger because there are no pods just leaves,stems and the flower just drop off

im not fertilizing it or fussing over it anymore than i do my other and i started it about 2 to 3 weeks before Christmas 2010
i know there slow but this is ridiculous!!
i would ask what am im doing wrong but im no of nothing im doing wrong???, do they like it when things cool a little more, im thinking that's the problem??

im very successful with even some of the touchiest of species this is just a Rocoto??

im threatening it to start producing or im going to send it to pepper hell!! :hell:

help save a life im a very forgiving person but all its doing now is taking up alot of space

please help me if you can, im going to take a pic and get it on here soon thanks your friend Joe

thanks your friend JOe
try out some aqua flakes part A & B
this liquid plant food forces your chilis to flower. Use a wet q tip
the rest is up to you.

please do not ever give up

i know you have issues with the posting of pictures {as we all do}

please {when you can}get a picture of three things so we can have a gander:
overall condition of rocotozilla {want to see size next to a beer can or milk jug }
a close up of a just opened flower to see the pollen glands and such
a close up of a flower that the petals just dropped off

thank you
good growing

i thinks its just about too late the season is ending very shortly here i dont even have a month left anymore im just going to let it go and if no one wants to adopt it it dies, i know to some of you this may seem like a bad attitude and maybe a little off color for me but im a hot sauce maker and i have limited room i can plant something that's going to give me something i can use, i only planted it because i just wanted to see what might happen

i dont have the time to wait or the room next year for something that is not going to give me something its a robber all its doing is taking nutrients and water from the soil, im not liking very much anymore
IF ANYONE WANTS IT LET ME KNOW, LAST CALL

thanks your friend Joe

i thinks its just about too late the season is ending very shortly here i dont even have a month left anymore im just going to let it go and if no one wants to adopt it it dies, i know to some of you this may seem like a bad attitude and maybe a little off color for me but im a hot sauce maker and i have limited room i can plant something that's going to give me something i can use, i only planted it because i just wanted to see what might happen

i dont have the time to wait or the room next year for something that is not going to give me something its a robber all its doing is taking nutrients and water from the soil, im not liking very much anymore

thanks your friend Joe

would love to take it off your hands Joe, but i dont think it would be able to get through customs or make it alive for that matter :(
Its a long way to australia...

Pubescens work for me really good. This year I have around 410 C.pubescens plants and the most are doing well.
But it took me a few Years to get it right.
6 Years ago when I grew my first Canario I put it in the Shade because I read so often that pubescens can not handle the Sun.
Had a huge plant in a rather small pot that did not set a lot of pods
Now I try to let the plants get as much Sun as possible and the plants stay compact but mostly set allot of pods.
Compact allways compared to the potsize Small Plants in Small Plants , Big Plants in Big Pots.
Also really imported is the fertilizer, I use an high potassium fertilizer

Here a big plant in a big pot

IMG_4712.jpg

Greetings

Hombre
A plant I had in partial shade had blossoms on one side and not many blossoms on the other side. That said I didn't have a shortage of Rocoto flowers.

I'm interested in the specifics of the fertiliser (NPK plus Magnesium and Calcium content). I'm experimenting with more fertilisers this season. I need to find a good local fertiliser for C.Pubescens plants and one C.Chinense plants.

thanks your friend Joe
It will be a shame if you don't find somebody to over winter the plant. My Rocoto plants survive the winter with only minor die back thanks to a more or less frost free winter.

I had been looking into Rocoto varieties that originated from warmer climates after my first plant in its first season produced only 1 lonely pod out of hundreds of flowers. This plant was one of two that produced several kilograms of fruit at its former owner's house. The former location was cooler and importantly had access to native (smaller than European) bees that love Rocoto flowers. I needed to manually pollinate the flowers due to the European bees being rather incompatible with my umbrella like Rocoto flowers.

I managed to get the big plant to produce 30 pods in the 2010/2011. At the beginning of the season it transplanted from a 30 cm (~18 L) pot to a massive 45 cm (~65 L) pot. I bought a fertiliser (Scotts Tomato and Vegetable soluble fertiliser) that contained 5% Calcium and fed it at half strength (Nitrogen content of 20% is higher than I would like).

I also managed to get a couple of plants that were grown from seedling to produce fruit. Both of these plants are in 30 cm (~18 L) pots at the moment. What I found interesting with this particular Rocoto was the fact I managed to get the plant to bloom after 60 days from germination. This is despite the information I read that listed Rocotos as very late season plants.

would love to take it off your hands Joe, but i dont think it would be able to get through customs or make it alive for that matter :(
Its a long way to australia...
Chile Mojo had Yellow Manzana plants last season. I bought a plant but did not manage to get it to set fruit in its first season. A tip is to use premium potting mix as I suspect variance in quality of the potting mix was the main cause of that particular plants flower drop.

good news i have a bout 5 pods, i wonder if its going to make it

no i did not kill it!! :lol:

i will keep you updated

thanks for all your help

your friend Joe

good news i have a bout 5 pods, i wonder if its going to make it

no i did not kill it!! :lol:

i will keep you updated

thanks for all your help

your friend Joe
Congrats :woohoo:
Hi Joe,
I too was a little nervous about starting a Manzano variety, but they seem to be my best plants.

Hope everything works out for you! try cooling it down with some shade or spending time everyday giving the plant some love. who knows. worst comes to worst they look really cool! and the purple flowers are stunning. Too bad someone cant come up with a fertilizer that prevents flower drop...
I agree. They are very unique plants &, if one has room, I'd recommend trying it out at least once. Mine is just starting to literally explode w/ flowers. This given it dropped its first set w/o producing any pods. I'm alright w/ it. Mine is potted so it isn't unmanageable too.
I just read in a book (that's the internet on paper kids ;) ) that pubescens generally don't set pods the first year. It said that trials showed best harvest results in the second year and then slowly decreasing every year after that. Obviously people do get pods in one season, there must be some factor involved like humidity or day and night temps that signal the plant to set fruit.

I have a manzano amarillo seedling about a month old. Didn't realise it was a two year deal when I planted it!
This makes sense to me too but I'm not an authority (only my 2nd- season growing)
Hello my friend joy!
Rocoto plants is original from temperate zone, if the temperature of your city is to hight, the plant show his flower and drop without show his fruit! this can be the problem of your plant!
I also thought I had read that they are from higher altitudes where its cooler hence thinklikeh20 in Santa Cruz, w/ his milder weather has better results. Mine has dropped its first set of flowers but, this past week, has set @ 30 more so I'm optimistic.

thanks for the update joe dude, :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

now when you see them nearly ripe please try one green :crazy:

and report back

good growing

Back in August I was having problems with the fruit setting on my rocotos. I commented that I'd heard that you could hand pollinate,
and indeed that was working for me. 3 months have gone by now, and I've brought my rocotos into my makeshift greenhouse. To my surprise,
they have continued to bloom, and are producing plenty of little peppers. Temps are regularly getting into the low 40's inside the greenhouse
at night (upper 20's outside). Looks like I'll be getting a crop after all!

my Rocoto is dead it had green fruit on it and then it snowed early and it froze
ROCOTTOZILLA IS DEAD LONG LIVE ROCOTOZILLA!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

THANKS YOUR FRIEND jOE

Back