• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Rome Jalapeno Question

I would like to get some of these Rome jalapeno seeds from you. Please let me know if you still have seeds available. I can't find this jalapeno seed variety anywhere!

@JGBaxter59 Have you found it difficult to find seed for Jalapenos with the heat they once had back in the 60s & 70s?
I am tired of buying seed only to eat a green cracked beauty only to find it little more than a small Green pepper with 0 heat.

I love Canned Jalapenos for the winter months here in the Mountains to keep warm, even chop them up in my Grits LOL. :hot:

@JGBaxter59 Have you found it difficult to find seed for Jalapenos with the heat they once had back in the 60s & 70s?
I am tired of buying seed only to eat a green cracked beauty only to find it little more than a small Green pepper with 0 heat.

I love Canned Jalapenos for the winter months here in the Mountains to keep warm, even chop them up in my Grits LOL. :hot:
Well, I was a teen back in the 70's. My Dad used to plant banana peppers and jalapenos every year, but he'd get them from a nursery. Once habaneros became fashionable, he'd let me plant one of them (the generic orange kind you still can get every year). Once I got older, I got interested in growing varieties you couldn't get at the local nursery. I remember his peppers as hot, but it could be that I was young and had nothing like we have today to compare them to. The Biker Billy and Rome varieties I had this year are hot for jalapenos, but after you've had a red savina habanero or a reaper, "hot" becomes a relative term.

Well, I was a teen back in the 70's. My Dad used to plant banana peppers and jalapenos every year, but he'd get them from a nursery. Once habaneros became fashionable, he'd let me plant one of them (the generic orange kind you still can get every year). Once I got older, I got interested in growing varieties you couldn't get at the local nursery. I remember his peppers as hot, but it could be that I was young and had nothing like we have today to compare them to. The Biker Billy and Rome varieties I had this year are hot for jalapenos, but after you've had a red savina habanero or a reaper, "hot" becomes a relative term.
I was in Japan in the 50s & Panama in the 60s Guam in the 70s. I grew up around the Oyster bars where the men would go out back sit around eat oysters & hot peppers. What Brat would not love roaming the places where food was majik & hot peppers grew wild? It was a real adventure.

I love all the Habanero's & Scotch Bonnets & use them regularly however it's always been Jalapenos as my daily bread so to speak.
This year will be better as all the Grapes will have been planted & I can focus on my Veggie's more.

Back