• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Ronnie

The date of May 16th seems to be a wrecking ball for me. One of my teenage and life-long influential mentors passed away whilst fighting a cancer bout at the Mayo Clinic in 2010. I remember hearing about his diagnosis on 94 Rock in Albuquerque and that same day my phone lit-up as well with texts and messages from several long time friends that were feeling the pain of the news too. He hung on and fought it out for a bit and was said to have been making progress. Then... it was all over the news in the metal world.

Ronnie James Dio.

I may be 40 now but I'm a guitarist and have been since I was six. I was a part of the Hollywood metal scene when Bill Gazzari was still alive and I've played the Whiskey, The Viper Room, The Roxy Theater and Ronnie has always been an active part of my circle. Albeit two years have now passed I miss him. As a parallel when I'd learned of Kevin's death(Quiet Riot) that one hit me hard as well. His was a face in the crowd that I saw just about every weekend(if he wasn't on tour) and the running joke upon sight of each other was always, "Hey! You're in THAT BAND huh!" Good times man. Really good times.

I guess I'm getting older and although I've cut my hair and unsubscribed to the lifestyle that I'd once loved so much this doesn't mean that I don't have feelings and that I didn't live it to the fullest at one time. To know that this man was in pain at the time of this shoot kills me.

R.I.P. Ronnie.

http://youtu.be/fXTL6EqHqkc

He was a great singer. I also am reminded as a guitarist as well of the passing of the great Ronnie Montrose even more recently.
I loved Ronnie Montrose's work with Gamma especially. He will be missed as well.

Yes.... the 'other' Ronnie. I think I'd heard that Ronnie Montrose' passing was ruled a suicide and that bothered me for some reason. They were interviewing his wife and I guess he'd had self worth problems. Sounds like even though he'd get an excellent standing ovation following his more recent shows he just couldn't let himself feel satisfied. Shooting stars we are.

Back