• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ronniedeb's 2014 season

This year I will be mostly growing...

SOWN 11th December
PUBESCENS
PI387838 (Locato) - Bolivia
Turbo Pube - Ecuador
PI585273 - Ecuador

SOWN 3-4th January
BACCATUM
DULCE DOLOR - ??
SUGAR RUSH - ??
GUAMPINHO DE VEADO - Brazil
TREPADEIRA DE WERNER – Brazil
INCA BERRY - Peru
INCA RED DROP - Peru
OMNICOLOR - Peru
HEART THROB - Bolivia
PI 260567 - Bolivia
AJI CRISTAL - Chile 
CAP267 - Chile
EL ORO DE ECUADOR - Ecuador
BUBBA- Columbia

CHINENSE
HABANERO BROWN LARGE - ??
CHOCOLATE BHUT - India
NAGA MORICH – India/Bangladesh
CONGO RED - Trinidad
TRINIDAD SCORPION CARDI YELLOW - Trinidad
7 POT PRIMO –US/Trinidad
7POT SR – Trinidad 
FARIA – Trinidad 
HAROLD ST BARTS – St. Barts.
SCOTCH BONNET MOA –Jamaica
ORANGE HABANERO - Mexico
ANTILLAIS CARIBBEAN - Mexico
BENI HIGHLANDS - Bolivia
PI 543205 (BENI MARKET) - Bolivia
CHARAPITA/YELLOW FIRE - Peru
BODE AMARELO - Brazil
PEITO DE MOCA - Brazil 
BRASILIERA MARIBOMDO - Brazil 
FIDALGA - Brazil
FATALII YELLOW – Central African Republic
KATIE– England (Nickdu)
FATALII X MURUPI DOCE - England (Ben123)

WILD/SEMI-WILD
C.galapogense - Ecuador
O´ODHAM CHILTEPIN - USA
C.flexuosum– Paraguay/Argentina
C.tovari - Peru
C.chacoense var. exile (COBINCHO) - Bolivia

SPECIES CROSS
BLACK CHILLI (Chinense x Annuum)
GUSANITO - Bolivia

FRUTESCENS
MALAGUETA - Brazil
PI281353 - Northern Mariana Islands

STILL TO BE SOWN
ANNUUM
SIBERIAN HOUSE PEPPER - SIBERIA??
SERRANO - Mexico
GUAJILLO - Mexico
INDIAN JWALA - India
BERBERE BROWN - Ethiopia
FACING HEAVEN - China
PRIK WIANG PING – China/Thailand
ROOSTER SPUR– Thailand/U.S.A

Well the problem with sowing just before Christmas is that I inevitably neglect my seeds over the holidays. Still, despite a lack of light and water, I have germination of my three pubescens varieties. The PI585273 was first and has raced ahead and gotten lanky. 

All my other seeds except for the annuums have been sown at the weekend. Just 3 seeds of each variety to get as many varieties in as possible.

Thanks Stickman. Yeah the greenhouse is made from PVC plumbing pipes anchored to a wooden frame. It's lightweight and flexible, but has lasted through 3 winters at my friends place. I think it's flexibility helps it survive storms etc. The only problem with that was that it was difficult to get the polythene very tight as the frame flexed and moved. It's fine though.

Not sure if that is the same as the Dedo de Moca I grew, but they look similar. This is a photo of one of the pods I had. It was actually a little under ripe here. It goes more deep red when ripe. 

That's a really nice pic of the Dedo de Moca you got... if mine look as good and taste like Judy said, I'll be a happy man. :)

It's funny how life often seems to travel in parallels... we have a neighbor who's Jordanian, and I looked after his vegetable garden for a few weeks while he was away visiting his folks in the old country. As thanks, he brought me a pint of za'atar from the spice market in Amman. Tonight we're having a salad with fresh greens from our garden, hummus, roasted eggplant baba ganouj and flatbread with good olive oil and za'atar. :drooling:

Actually Ronnie, you are growing several of my favorite peppers this year. Lemon drop and Inca red drop bright and citrusy, guajillo rich and smoky, aji. Crystal, sweet and flavorful, etc,etc! Point is it looks like you have a great variety of flavors and heat, now you just need some more carribean and a few superhots ;)

stickman said:
That's a really nice pic of the Dedo de Moca you got... if mine look as good and taste like Judy said, I'll be a happy man. :)

It's funny how life often seems to travel in parallels... we have a neighbor who's Jordanian, and I looked after his vegetable garden for a few weeks while he was away visiting his folks in the old country. As thanks, he brought me a pint of za'atar from the spice market in Amman. Tonight we're having a salad with fresh greens from our garden, hummus, roasted eggplant baba ganouj and flatbread with good olive oil and za'atar. :drooling:
That sounds wonderful. I don't know if you know the Israeli chef I mentioned, Yotam Ottolenghi . He is London based. You'd like his recipes, I'm sure. I made this recipe the other day: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/zaatar-spiced-beet-dip-with-goat-cheese-and-hazelnuts

Really nice.

chile_freak said:
Actually Ronnie, you are growing several of my favorite peppers this year. Lemon drop and Inca red drop bright and citrusy, guajillo rich and smoky, aji. Crystal, sweet and flavorful, etc,etc! Point is it looks like you have a great variety of flavors and heat, now you just need some more carribean and a few superhots ;)

Thanks chile_freak! I have some superhots, Naga Morich, 7 Pod SR Strain, 7 Pod Primo, Katie, and a few more Carribean ones, M.O.A, Congo Red, CARDI Yellow, Antillais Carribean, Harold St. Barts an Faria. Looking forward to them. 

Those are good varieties as well, I believe you will particularly enjoy the scotch bonnet, the beni highlands, the Harold st Bart's and the antilais, of course nagas and 7 pots are really tasty too!best of luck to you, and continued success on your grow!

More from the Allotment:
Chimayo putting out pods. Like last year there seems to be some difference between my two plants. 

M.O.A Bonnet

Setting pods now. 

Malagueta is also starting to set pods, but is leaning over quite a bit. New growth exploding from the lower stem though.

Serrano setting pods. 

CAP267

Ladybird Pupa

Yeah, there's always a lot of variation in the plants and pods with Chimayo' chiles. The end result is always worth it though! How do you use them Ronan?

ronniedeb said:
That sounds wonderful. I don't know if you know the Israeli chef I mentioned, Yotam Ottolenghi . He is London based. You'd like his recipes, I'm sure. I made this recipe the other day: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/zaatar-spiced-beet-dip-with-goat-cheese-and-hazelnuts

Really nice.
He hadn't appeared on my radar yet, but thanks for the tip. I'll have to check him out. Unfortunately, I'll have to take a pass on the recipe you forwarded... my wife has food allergies and asthma, and Hazelnuts are one of the worst for her.
     Cheers!

stickman said:
Yeah, there's always a lot of variation in the plants and pods with Chimayo' chiles. The end result is always worth it though! How do you use them Ronan?

He hadn't appeared on my radar yet, but thanks for the tip. I'll have to check him out. Unfortunately, I'll have to take a pass on the recipe you forwarded... my wife has food allergies and asthma, and Hazelnuts are one of the worst for her.
     Cheers!

I dont really remember how I used the Chimayo last year, besides that I ate them! Didnt dry or powder any. I tend to use the less hot ones fresh or in cooking rather than preserving them. 

Leave out the hazelnuts. They are only a topping on the dip. 

PIC 1 said:
Ronan glad to see some MoA's podding up for you. Everything else looks great also...

Thanks PIC 1. My bonnet grower friend extends his thanks again. He had great germination from the seeds you sent. 

ronniedeb said:

I dont really remember how I used the Chimayo last year, besides that I ate them! Didnt dry or powder any. I tend to use the less hot ones fresh or in cooking rather than preserving them. 

Leave out the hazelnuts. They are only a topping on the dip.

If you like Tex-Mex food, you should try drying enough whole pods to make a batch of chili or some enchilada sauce. You can use them pod-for-pod like the dried Guajillo chiles, and I think the Chimayo's have superior flavor.

stickman said:

If you like Tex-Mex food, you should try drying enough whole pods to make a batch of chili or some enchilada sauce. You can use them pod-for-pod like the dried Guajillo chiles, and I think the Chimayo's have superior flavor.

Cheers Stickman. They do taste great!

More from the Allotment:
Potatoes. Probably one of Irelands favorite varieties. Called British Queen, or "Queens", funnily enough:

Beetroot, Onions, Spring Onions, Shallots, Carrots, Fennel:

Peas and Mangetout

Some shots from the back garden/greenhouse plants:
Oo'dham Chiltepin has this dark coloring. Not doing much in terms of flowering/fruiting

Tomatoes are filling out the DWC buckets nicely:

Orange Habanero ripening some small fruit

Found a few of these in the Allotment tunnel. Didnt even have to buy them this year! :lol: 

A more mature one in the greenhouse at home.

Fatalii x Murupi Doce F2 cross has set a few pods.

7 Pod SR Strain

Physalis Peruviana flower.

Aji Cristal looks like it will be productive. Lots of pods setting now.

Katie Pod

Trying some lettuce using the Kratky Passive Hydroponic method this year. Seems to be doing alright.

Windowsill plants update:
Yellow Fire. Lovely plant. Loads of flowers. No fruit yet! :cry: 

Beni Market. No fruit either!!!

Bode Amarelo. Vine like plant, unlike any chinense I've grown before. Again, no fruit. 

Sprawling Inca Red Drop in Hempy. 

Inca Red Drop Fruit

Heart Throb. Really tall plant, yet needs no support, so far. 

Heart Throb Fruit

Hi Ronan! Nice pics, but I notice they're all inside the house. Has it stopped raining and warmed up for you at all yet?

Yeah. Weather is not bad at all. Still, these plants are kept indoors on a windowsill. Outdoor plants don't do so well here.

Back