• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ronniedeb's 2014 season

This year I will be mostly growing...

SOWN 11th December
PUBESCENS
PI387838 (Locato) - Bolivia
Turbo Pube - Ecuador
PI585273 - Ecuador

SOWN 3-4th January
BACCATUM
DULCE DOLOR - ??
SUGAR RUSH - ??
GUAMPINHO DE VEADO - Brazil
TREPADEIRA DE WERNER – Brazil
INCA BERRY - Peru
INCA RED DROP - Peru
OMNICOLOR - Peru
HEART THROB - Bolivia
PI 260567 - Bolivia
AJI CRISTAL - Chile 
CAP267 - Chile
EL ORO DE ECUADOR - Ecuador
BUBBA- Columbia

CHINENSE
HABANERO BROWN LARGE - ??
CHOCOLATE BHUT - India
NAGA MORICH – India/Bangladesh
CONGO RED - Trinidad
TRINIDAD SCORPION CARDI YELLOW - Trinidad
7 POT PRIMO –US/Trinidad
7POT SR – Trinidad 
FARIA – Trinidad 
HAROLD ST BARTS – St. Barts.
SCOTCH BONNET MOA –Jamaica
ORANGE HABANERO - Mexico
ANTILLAIS CARIBBEAN - Mexico
BENI HIGHLANDS - Bolivia
PI 543205 (BENI MARKET) - Bolivia
CHARAPITA/YELLOW FIRE - Peru
BODE AMARELO - Brazil
PEITO DE MOCA - Brazil 
BRASILIERA MARIBOMDO - Brazil 
FIDALGA - Brazil
FATALII YELLOW – Central African Republic
KATIE– England (Nickdu)
FATALII X MURUPI DOCE - England (Ben123)

WILD/SEMI-WILD
C.galapogense - Ecuador
O´ODHAM CHILTEPIN - USA
C.flexuosum– Paraguay/Argentina
C.tovari - Peru
C.chacoense var. exile (COBINCHO) - Bolivia

SPECIES CROSS
BLACK CHILLI (Chinense x Annuum)
GUSANITO - Bolivia

FRUTESCENS
MALAGUETA - Brazil
PI281353 - Northern Mariana Islands

STILL TO BE SOWN
ANNUUM
SIBERIAN HOUSE PEPPER - SIBERIA??
SERRANO - Mexico
GUAJILLO - Mexico
INDIAN JWALA - India
BERBERE BROWN - Ethiopia
FACING HEAVEN - China
PRIK WIANG PING – China/Thailand
ROOSTER SPUR– Thailand/U.S.A

Well the problem with sowing just before Christmas is that I inevitably neglect my seeds over the holidays. Still, despite a lack of light and water, I have germination of my three pubescens varieties. The PI585273 was first and has raced ahead and gotten lanky. 

All my other seeds except for the annuums have been sown at the weekend. Just 3 seeds of each variety to get as many varieties in as possible.

ronniedeb said:
Yeah. Weather is not bad at all. Still, these plants are kept indoors on a windowsill. Outdoor plants don't do so well here.

I can understand why some peppers don't thrive for you outside where you are, but I'd be willing to bet the Hungarian varieties and the Chimayo' chiles would. Especially if you laid down a black plastic mulch for them.  Keep 'em green Ronan!

stickman said:

I can understand why some peppers don't thrive for you outside where you are, but I'd be willing to bet the Hungarian varieties and the Chimayo' chiles would. Especially if you laid down a black plastic mulch for them.  Keep 'em green Ronan!

Yeah. I have a few wilds outdoors. I may give some annuums a go next year. I have had success with Cayennes before, but you need a decent summer. Recently we have had complete washouts. Last year was not bad though. Thanks
Trepadeira De Werner

Trepadeira De Werner setting lots of fruit now.

Beni Highlands

Beni Highlands has set it's first fruit. 

There are a few pods in the baccatum NFT. I think they are Sugar Rush. 

PI387838 has set a few pods. Not getting too excited. My record with pubescens isnt good. Started them early, but kind of neglected them after that, leaving them kind of stunted. :roll: 

M.O.A in ebb has set a pod at last. 

Hopefully this M.O.A flower will also set a pod. 

Antillais Caribean pods are quite squat, but there are a lot of them.

My one Katie pod is growing. Few more on the way though. 

Garden Orb Spider. Had one in the greenhouse last year as well and he grew big. Going to track this guy's growth.

That Katie pod looks pretty mean Ronan, does it have Bhut genes do you think? It looks like a lot of the THP folks are keeping Golden Orb Weavers as pets this year... drive on! :P

stickman said:
That Katie pod looks pretty mean Ronan, does it have Bhut genes do you think? It looks like a lot of the THP folks are keeping Golden Orb Weavers as pets this year... drive on! :P
Thanks Stickman. I'll find out the genetics of the Katie. Dont have them at hand. These photos are actually a fortnight old. I've been slacking. More coming soon!

View from outside the greenhouse.

NFT baccatums are a jungle. Not many flowers though. Must have overdone the nitrogen.

Runty Jalapeno DRH-7400 is improving, only slightly. Forked at about 15cm height.  

Black Cherry Tomatoes

Lemon Boy Tomatoes

Hillbilly Tomato

Well it seems the harvests of a pod here and there are at last turning into a trickle of pods every day or two. Chinense seem to be setting some regular fruit at last as well. 

The underneath of a small Antillais Caribbean. Almost like a shamrock!

A handful of small Habanero Brown large. Some proper size ones on the way. 

Hot Lemons 

Chimayo

Inca Red Drop

Facing Heaven

Fidalga

7 Pod SR Strain has set a number of nice size pods.

This week's harvest:

At the Allotment I have an overwintered Fatalii Red that hasnt really taken off. It's still set a few pods though.

Overwintered baccatum 1 looks like CAP267

I'm not sure about Overwintered baccatum 2. Dont remember any pods looking like this last year.  

Katie has a number of nice size pods now. 

PI585273 has set a few pods. 

stickman said:

Found out what Katie is. It's a Naga Viper x 7 Pod cross by Nickdu in England. I think he is a member here. 

ronniedeb said:

This week's harvest:

At the Allotment I have an overwintered Fatalii Red that hasnt really taken off. It's still set a few pods though.

Overwintered baccatum 1 looks like CAP267

I'm not sure about Overwintered baccatum 2. Dont remember any pods looking like this last year.  

Katie has a number of nice size pods now. 

PI585273 has set a few pods. 

Found out what Katie is. It's a Naga Viper x 7 Pod cross by Nickdu in England. I think he is a member here. 

Yup, that would explain it. :)  Nice pull this week! the Baccatums and Chimayo's look especially good. Drive on!

Wow, great pods, plants and harvest, Ronnie. Have been missing out on this glog, that Katie looks cool. What color does it have when ripe? Looks very pale green. Your Chimayo's are huge, mine never got that big. Your Fidalga looks to green to be true I'm afraid :( Leaves, stem and pods should be purple.

stickman said:

Yup, that would explain it. :)  Nice pull this week! the Baccatums and Chimayo's look especially good. Drive on!

Thanks!

meatfreak said:
Wow, great pods, plants and harvest, Ronnie. Have been missing out on this glog, that Katie looks cool. What color does it have when ripe? Looks very pale green. Your Chimayo's are huge, mine never got that big. Your Fidalga looks to green to be true I'm afraid :( Leaves, stem and pods should be purple.

Thanks Meatfreak! Katie is red when ripe. These Chimayos were big. On another plant they were smaller. Last year was the same. I was unaware that Fidalga was meant to be that colour. I have found little info on Fidalga online. I got the seed from the same grower who created the Katie, Nickdu. He got the seeds from pods bought at a market in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Mine look like his plants looked last year. Ripening from light green to yellow. I have seen a Fidalga Roxa online that fits your description. Are they the same variety?

This is what Nickdu's Fidalga looked like when ripe:

UPDATE:
These are in the tangled mess of the baccatum NFT. I think they are Dulce Dolor

Aji Cristal will be my most productive plant I reckon.

Starting to escape the greenhouse

Fidalga?

Feels like these Trepadeira de Werner are taking forever to ripen. They are becoming more pendant though, so maybe not long.

Yellow Fire

Bode Amarelo

Beni Highlands has set a few pods after the first one to set was prematurely harvested by my 3 year old trainee Chilli Pepper farmer. Needless to say, he now knows the difference between ripe and unripe. 

ronniedeb said:

Thanks!

Thanks Meatfreak! Katie is red when ripe. These Chimayos were big. On another plant they were smaller. Last year was the same. I was unaware that Fidalga was meant to be that colour. I have found little info on Fidalga online. I got the seed from the same grower who created the Katie, Nickdu. He got the seeds from pods bought at a market in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Mine look like his plants looked last year. Ripening from light green to yellow. I have seen a Fidalga Roxa online that fits your description. Are they the same variety?

This is what Nickdu's Fidalga looked like when ripe:

Fidalga?

Maybe I'm confused and there's a Fidalga and a Fidalga Roxa variety. Since Roxa means purple it makes sense yours isn't if it's just Fidalga.
IMAG0575_.jpg

IMAG1941.jpg

Hi Ronan, your wilds and Baccatums are looking really good!

Those Fidalgas of Nickdu's look like Frutascens... are they? If so, they're pretty unusual... the pods on almost all of mine have an upright habit rather than pendant. Cheers!

meatfreak said:

Maybe I'm confused and there's a Fidalga and a Fidalga Roxa variety. Since Roxa means purple it makes sense yours isn't if it's just Fidalga.

Beautiful plant Meatfreak. Chilli Pepper nomenclature can be pretty confusing for sure. Fidalga means "lady" or "gentlewoman" in Portuguese so I guess it could be a more widely applied name for peppers.
stickman said:
Hi Ronan, your wilds and Baccatums are looking really good!

Those Fidalgas of Nickdu's look like Frutascens... are they? If so, they're pretty unusual... the pods on almost all of mine have an upright habit rather than pendant. Cheers!

Thanks! They are chinense. Here are two more of NIckdu's photos:

Flavour is real nice from what I remember. Low heat fruity chinense. 

Heart Throb (baccatum) seems to ripen overnight. 

Did a little leaf pruning in the greenhouse to expose some hidden pods to the sun.

Faria

Sugar Rush (baccatum), big pods.
[/quote]

Jalapeno DRH7400 has set some nice size pods.

Guampinho de Veado is just starting to set pods.

As has the Wiang Ping pepper.

CAP267. With this and the overwintered plant, I should have plenty of these.

Basil grown with Kratky hydroponic method. Doing well. 

Runescape said:
Plants are looking neat... Those nickdus are badass lol...
Thanks!
Weather has taken a turn for the worse here. Cold and Wet at the moment.

Some harvest

Trepadeira de Werner.  Really tasty variety. Beautiful plant and pods. Will definitely grow these again. 

Aji Cristal. These seem to be super similar to CAP267, in shape, flavour etc. Delicious.

Yellow Fire/PI 260501. Pretty hot little pods, for something so small. 

Katie pods starting to ripen.

Several Katie pods have been damaged. Cought one of the culprits in the act. :evil: 

7 Pot SR Strain

El Oro de Ecuador

The weather outside may be cold and wet, but at least you're getting enough heat in the greenhouse to warm the cockles of your heart... ;)  Slugs don't seem to be a big problem here, but we have sandy, well-drained soil. I think it cuts them up to crawl over it.

I have some seeds for the El Oro de Ecuador and have no idea what it tastes like. I'd appreciate it if you could post your impressions when you taste it so I can decide of I'll plant it.

Cheers!

stickman said:
The weather outside may be cold and wet, but at least you're getting enough heat in the greenhouse to warm the cockles of your heart... ;)  Slugs don't seem to be a big problem here, but we have sandy, well-drained soil. I think it cuts them up to crawl over it.

I have some seeds for the El Oro de Ecuador and have no idea what it tastes like. I'd appreciate it if you could post your impressions when you taste it so I can decide of I'll plant it.

Cheers!

Thanks!! Never had as much trouble with slugs (and hornworms) as I have this year. I havent tried any El Oro de Ecuador, but when I do, I'll let you know.

Back