• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ronniedeb's 2014 season

This year I will be mostly growing...

SOWN 11th December
PUBESCENS
PI387838 (Locato) - Bolivia
Turbo Pube - Ecuador
PI585273 - Ecuador

SOWN 3-4th January
BACCATUM
DULCE DOLOR - ??
SUGAR RUSH - ??
GUAMPINHO DE VEADO - Brazil
TREPADEIRA DE WERNER – Brazil
INCA BERRY - Peru
INCA RED DROP - Peru
OMNICOLOR - Peru
HEART THROB - Bolivia
PI 260567 - Bolivia
AJI CRISTAL - Chile 
CAP267 - Chile
EL ORO DE ECUADOR - Ecuador
BUBBA- Columbia

CHINENSE
HABANERO BROWN LARGE - ??
CHOCOLATE BHUT - India
NAGA MORICH – India/Bangladesh
CONGO RED - Trinidad
TRINIDAD SCORPION CARDI YELLOW - Trinidad
7 POT PRIMO –US/Trinidad
7POT SR – Trinidad 
FARIA – Trinidad 
HAROLD ST BARTS – St. Barts.
SCOTCH BONNET MOA –Jamaica
ORANGE HABANERO - Mexico
ANTILLAIS CARIBBEAN - Mexico
BENI HIGHLANDS - Bolivia
PI 543205 (BENI MARKET) - Bolivia
CHARAPITA/YELLOW FIRE - Peru
BODE AMARELO - Brazil
PEITO DE MOCA - Brazil 
BRASILIERA MARIBOMDO - Brazil 
FIDALGA - Brazil
FATALII YELLOW – Central African Republic
KATIE– England (Nickdu)
FATALII X MURUPI DOCE - England (Ben123)

WILD/SEMI-WILD
C.galapogense - Ecuador
O´ODHAM CHILTEPIN - USA
C.flexuosum– Paraguay/Argentina
C.tovari - Peru
C.chacoense var. exile (COBINCHO) - Bolivia

SPECIES CROSS
BLACK CHILLI (Chinense x Annuum)
GUSANITO - Bolivia

FRUTESCENS
MALAGUETA - Brazil
PI281353 - Northern Mariana Islands

STILL TO BE SOWN
ANNUUM
SIBERIAN HOUSE PEPPER - SIBERIA??
SERRANO - Mexico
GUAJILLO - Mexico
INDIAN JWALA - India
BERBERE BROWN - Ethiopia
FACING HEAVEN - China
PRIK WIANG PING – China/Thailand
ROOSTER SPUR– Thailand/U.S.A

Well the problem with sowing just before Christmas is that I inevitably neglect my seeds over the holidays. Still, despite a lack of light and water, I have germination of my three pubescens varieties. The PI585273 was first and has raced ahead and gotten lanky. 

All my other seeds except for the annuums have been sown at the weekend. Just 3 seeds of each variety to get as many varieties in as possible.

Lots of nice color on your chiles Ronan... you get to pick into November!? Okay... I'm officially jealous! :P  As far north as you are, and dealing with the cold wind off the North Sea, I'd say you've got your technique nailed guy! :dance:

stickman said:
Lots of nice color on your chiles Ronan... you get to pick into November!? Okay... I'm officially jealous! :P  As far north as you are, and dealing with the cold wind off the North Sea, I'd say you've got your technique nailed guy! :dance:
Haha. I pick in November with the help of a greenhouse, a thermostat heater to keep things frost free and some supplemental light from next week on. Saying that, our Autumns are usually mild enough. Usually doesn't get much below freezing until December-January. Despite our Northern Latitude, the Gulf Stream keeps winters mild (and summers cool).

Season gradually coming to a close. No more nutrients going in the reservoirs. Turning the light on for a couple of hours in the evening starting tonight hopefully. 

This week's harvest:

2 of only 4 ripe pubescens from 5 plants so far. These are Rocoto Montufar (PI 585273): 

Chocolate Primo?? Meant to be regular 7 Pod Primo

Bonda Ma Jacques. They smell so good when cut open.

Wow....Ronan that harvest is really impressive for this time in the year.......how many of those do you take to the local pub ?........ :)

I agree the Bonda Ma Jacques has an awesome smell when cut open.....those are the perfect  shape..that's how they look at the open air markets on St Lucia.

PIC 1 said:
Wow....Ronan that harvest is really impressive for this time in the year.......how many of those do you take to the local pub ?........ :)

I agree the Bonda Ma Jacques has an awesome smell when cut open.....those are the perfect  shape..that's how they look at the open air markets on St Lucia.

Thanks Greg! Dont go to the pub that often, Homebrew usually. As it happens though, I am going to the pub tomorrow for the soccer match, so may bring a few half time nibbles!!!

Yeah, those pods were from an overwintered Bonda. Definitely a variety I will grow again. 
Devv said:
Glad to see you're still pulling and putting that greenhouse to good use ;)

Thanks Devv! The greenhouse is definitely used. Full to the brim at the moment! :P

That Rocoto Montufar looks impressive... is it fairly slow growing like the Manzano? What are your impressions of the flavor and heat? The rest is looking excellent for the time of season. Keep up the good great work!

stickman said:
That Rocoto Montufar looks impressive... is it fairly slow growing like the Manzano? What are your impressions of the flavor and heat? The rest is looking excellent for the time of season. Keep up the good great work!

Thanks Rick. I'm not the right man to ask about pubescens. I have no luck with them, and hence little valuable experience. This year I've managed about 6 pods from 4 plants. I read recently that they are more sensitive to changes in soil temperature. Next year I will plant some in the ground instead of in containers, see if that makes a difference. The Montufar tastes good to me though. It's also meant to be faster to produce than other pubescens. 

This weeks harvest:

Pulled some annuum plants that were going mouldy. Serrano, Chimayo and India Jwala, hence the green pods.

30 varieties: 

Katie Pods.

Dulce Dolor, so slow to ripen.

A few Katie pods left to harvest as well. 

ronniedeb said:

Thanks Rick. I'm not the right man to ask about pubescens. I have no luck with them, and hence little valuable experience. This year I've managed about 6 pods from 4 plants. I read recently that they are more sensitive to changes in soil temperature. Next year I will plant some in the ground instead of in containers, see if that makes a difference. The Montufar tastes good to me though. It's also meant to be faster to produce than other pubescens.

Very cool! The part about being sensitive to variations in soil temperature makes sense... I've only ever planted Manzanos in-ground for pod production, and pot them up to keep them alive indoors through the winter. You've got me wondering though... I always put down infra-red transparent plastic mulch that uses sunlight to passively warm the soil. This works great in spring and fall, but the plants drop blossoms like crazy during the hottest part of the summer, so next year I'm going to have to experiment with putting reflective mulch (like shredded white paper) on top of the IRT during the "dog days" and see if it helps with the flower drop. Then, when things start to cool off around labor day, I can remove the reflective mulch and let the IRT go back to warming the soil and extending the season on the other side.

Spicegeist said:
Good looking peppers.  The brown primo looks like it crossed with a choco hab...

Thanks Spicegeist!
stickman said:

Very cool! The part about being sensitive to variations in soil temperature makes sense... I've only ever planted Manzanos in-ground for pod production, and pot them up to keep them alive indoors through the winter. You've got me wondering though... I always put down infra-red transparent plastic mulch that uses sunlight to passively warm the soil. This works great in spring and fall, but the plants drop blossoms like crazy during the hottest part of the summer, so next year I'm going to have to experiment with putting reflective mulch (like shredded white paper) on top of the IRT during the "dog days" and see if it helps with the flower drop. Then, when things start to cool off around labor day, I can remove the reflective mulch and let the IRT go back to warming the soil and extending the season on the other side.

Interesting stuff Rick. I will have to see if I can get some of this IRT mulch.

caveman said:
Read the thread really like what is going on here. Are you going to go.with a larger sized greenhouse next year?

Thanks! If I could I would. Would need more land though!
Devv said:
Very nice Ronnie!

How long are you going to keep em running?

Thanks Devv. Probably for another 3 weeks or so.

ronniedeb said:
Interesting stuff Rick. I will have to see if I can get some of this IRT mulch.

North Carolina has different growing conditions than you do, but this is a generally useful article for background information... http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/hil/hil-8033.html

Here's a pretty good description of the different types of plastic mulches available and what they're good for... http://www.uvm.edu/vtvegandberry/factsheets/plasticprimer.html

This is the type I use for my tomatoes, peppers, squash and cucumbers... http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-5448-solar-mulch-4-x-50.aspx#

Cheers!

stickman said:

North Carolina has different growing conditions than you do, but this is a generally useful article for background information... http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/hil/hil-8033.html

Here's a pretty good description of the different types of plastic mulches available and what they're good for... http://www.uvm.edu/vtvegandberry/factsheets/plasticprimer.html

This is the type I use for my tomatoes, peppers, squash and cucumbers... http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-5448-solar-mulch-4-x-50.aspx#

Cheers!

Cheers to you Rick. That's some good info there. 

Nice photos especially the shot with the 30 varieties.

Another 3 weeks of growing is fantastic ! 
You'll probably have a slow steady flow of ripening pods......which sure beats getting whacked all at once with a big harvest.

PIC 1 said:
Nice photos especially the shot with the 30 varieties.

Another 3 weeks of growing is fantastic ! 
You'll probably have a slow steady flow of ripening pods......which sure beats getting whacked all at once with a big harvest.

Thanks. Yeah Greg, you're right. Harvest has slowed significantly this week. I have some tender garden plants I need to put in the greenhouse, so hope the peppers ripen soon!

This week's harvest:

Nice Katie harvest this week. Some more left on plant as well

The Inca Berry pods are just starting to ripen really. My last harvest will be full of green baccatums by the look of it.

Faria has been a great variety this year. Very productive.

Malagueta has been poor, although these pods are more like the size they should be.

Think these are Alberto's Rocoto, from an overwintered and unlabelled plant.

"7 Pod Primo" showing a variety of colours. The redder one was in deep shade. 

The award for pepper variety most enjoyed by species other than homo sapiens goes to....... Habanero Brown Large. Seriously, it's been unreal the amount of pods taken by what I presume are slugs and snails. I would guess about 30-40 at this stage. About the same as I've harvested. 

Back