• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ronniedeb's 2014 season

This year I will be mostly growing...

SOWN 11th December
PUBESCENS
PI387838 (Locato) - Bolivia
Turbo Pube - Ecuador
PI585273 - Ecuador

SOWN 3-4th January
BACCATUM
DULCE DOLOR - ??
SUGAR RUSH - ??
GUAMPINHO DE VEADO - Brazil
TREPADEIRA DE WERNER – Brazil
INCA BERRY - Peru
INCA RED DROP - Peru
OMNICOLOR - Peru
HEART THROB - Bolivia
PI 260567 - Bolivia
AJI CRISTAL - Chile 
CAP267 - Chile
EL ORO DE ECUADOR - Ecuador
BUBBA- Columbia

CHINENSE
HABANERO BROWN LARGE - ??
CHOCOLATE BHUT - India
NAGA MORICH – India/Bangladesh
CONGO RED - Trinidad
TRINIDAD SCORPION CARDI YELLOW - Trinidad
7 POT PRIMO –US/Trinidad
7POT SR – Trinidad 
FARIA – Trinidad 
HAROLD ST BARTS – St. Barts.
SCOTCH BONNET MOA –Jamaica
ORANGE HABANERO - Mexico
ANTILLAIS CARIBBEAN - Mexico
BENI HIGHLANDS - Bolivia
PI 543205 (BENI MARKET) - Bolivia
CHARAPITA/YELLOW FIRE - Peru
BODE AMARELO - Brazil
PEITO DE MOCA - Brazil 
BRASILIERA MARIBOMDO - Brazil 
FIDALGA - Brazil
FATALII YELLOW – Central African Republic
KATIE– England (Nickdu)
FATALII X MURUPI DOCE - England (Ben123)

WILD/SEMI-WILD
C.galapogense - Ecuador
O´ODHAM CHILTEPIN - USA
C.flexuosum– Paraguay/Argentina
C.tovari - Peru
C.chacoense var. exile (COBINCHO) - Bolivia

SPECIES CROSS
BLACK CHILLI (Chinense x Annuum)
GUSANITO - Bolivia

FRUTESCENS
MALAGUETA - Brazil
PI281353 - Northern Mariana Islands

STILL TO BE SOWN
ANNUUM
SIBERIAN HOUSE PEPPER - SIBERIA??
SERRANO - Mexico
GUAJILLO - Mexico
INDIAN JWALA - India
BERBERE BROWN - Ethiopia
FACING HEAVEN - China
PRIK WIANG PING – China/Thailand
ROOSTER SPUR– Thailand/U.S.A

Well the problem with sowing just before Christmas is that I inevitably neglect my seeds over the holidays. Still, despite a lack of light and water, I have germination of my three pubescens varieties. The PI585273 was first and has raced ahead and gotten lanky. 

All my other seeds except for the annuums have been sown at the weekend. Just 3 seeds of each variety to get as many varieties in as possible.

Yeah... winter is coming on fast here too... this week's extended forecast has some nights dipping down to about 2.7 degrees C. I'm gonna have to rig up a low row cover for my Bhuts and T. Scorpions in the raised bed out back.

Glad to see you're still getting some nice pulls and plenty of color. Your Chimayo's look fantastic, but if at all possible, you should leave them on the plant to ripen. It makes a huge difference in the heat and flavor. I've been pulling mine and drying the pods whole to store for the winter. If you're interested, I could bag some up and post them to you to try. Drop me a pm if so, and let me know if I have any seeds you'd be interested in trying as well.

Cheers!

stickman said:
Yeah... winter is coming on fast here too... this week's extended forecast has some nights dipping down to about 2.7 degrees C. I'm gonna have to rig up a low row cover for my Bhuts and T. Scorpions in the raised bed out back.

Glad to see you're still getting some nice pulls and plenty of color. Your Chimayo's look fantastic, but if at all possible, you should leave them on the plant to ripen. It makes a huge difference in the heat and flavor. I've been pulling mine and drying the pods whole to store for the winter. If you're interested, I could bag some up and post them to you to try. Drop me a pm if so, and let me know if I have any seeds you'd be interested in trying as well.

Cheers!

Thanks Rick. I harvested a lot of tomatillos, so I harvested the Chimayo Green to make a Roasted Green Salsa. It was great. I have a fair amount still on my two plants to ripen. Thanks for the offer of seeds, I'm sure we could arrange a swap again! I'll get my list together. 

It's very difficult to make reservoir changes now. Need to do it on my knees. 

Aji Cristal keeps producing and producing. Great plant.

As does the Katie plant.

Some nice tight clusters of pods

Sugar Rush ripening up several pods

Capsicum Exile

This week's harvest. 

I may get a handful of pubescens this year! 

My uncle sent me some chillis from Portugal. He has a few acres near Monchique in rural North West Algarve. He got these from a 70 year old farmer who said the seeds had been saved from year to year through 3 generations of his family. I will have to make some Piri Piri Chicken.

I think this is as close to the ideal MOA shape I'll get in a pod. They all seem to twist on the vertical lines.

Nice and big Katie Pod!

Love these Jalapeno DRH-7400. 

These are my first ripe Guampinho de Veado, another late one. They are very frutescens like in growth habit, pod shape and a little in the flavour too. 

Madre Vieja is an overwintered plant. It was one of the latest of my Allotment plants to set pods, but set loads. Just starting to ripen now. Some branches are getting mouldy though, so hope they ripen quick. Nice pepper, without having the stand out flavours of some other baccatums.

Black Chilli (chinense x annuum). Interesting that the stem stays black when the pod ripens. Flavour is not great. 

Man, your greenhouse is looking like a jungle Ronan! I can see why you need to change the reservoirs on your knees... and probably with a helper to pull the branches back over you too. :)  Nice pulls you've been making despite the dwindling growing season. Hope you've got the mold problem under control.

Cheers!

Thanks Rick. Trying to keep on top of the mould. Getting cooler nights here now. The unheated greenhouse on the allotment will be harvested in the next week or two, I reckon. 

Two weeks since last update!! 
Here is some harvest from last week:

Still lots of green pods to ripen. Looking at last seasons log, I made my last harvest at the end of November, so I'm hopeful they will ripen.

El Oro de Ecuador seems to have set piles of smaller pods recently, compared with a slow start earlier in the season with bigger pods. 

Cristal is still going relentlessly.

Dulce Dolor has continued to produce, although none have ripened yet. The slugs have taken about 10 big pods throughout the season! :evil: 

Inca Berry producing at last. Like the Dulce Dolor and their NFT companion Bubba, these have been slow to produce. I think I may have mixed up the nutrient change earlier in the season as they were huge plants before they even flowered. 

Malagueta has been very disappointing. Covered densely with flowers, but very few set, and pods are small.

Need to do a harvest this weekend. Lots of Faria to pick.

CARDI clusters.

Devv said:
Wow, looked up your location on a map. Now I understand the greenhouse.

Great job this season!
Thanks Devv! Yeah the wind and rains are the problem here. Summers are mild, not too warm. Rarely goes above 22 Celsius.

ronniedeb said:
Thanks Devv! Yeah the wind and rains are the problem here. Summers are mild, not too warm. Rarely goes above 22 Celsius.
 Wow, our summers run in the mid 37's here. Here it is October and still 32.2° during the day

ronniedeb said:

Malagueta has been very disappointing. Covered densely with flowers, but very few set, and pods are small.

I created a cross between two different frutescens bird peppers that might work better for you, that is if you still want to grow a pepper like this in 2015...

Spicegeist said:

I created a cross between two different frutescens bird peppers that might work better for you, that is if you still want to grow a pepper like this in 2015...

That would be great! Thanks for the kind offer! I'll get a list together of seeds I have and maybe we could swap.

More harvesting 

Impatiently picked these Dulce Dolor. Still green at the base, but they were taking ages. 

Faria

Lemon Drops

Aji Cristal

CARDI Yellow

Sugar Rush

Chimayo. Two plants producing pods that are a little different. Texture on the 3 on the left is a little rougher. 

Habanero Brown Large

Wiang Ping

Back